Question about what is/isn't allowed here

I think we have to not stress ourselves by splitting hairs ... what I mean is, if it's behind the scenes then we won't know unless someone complains and/or forwards proof. Kwim?
As far as doing authentications for scanners or resellers, I've said it many times before no one should ever feel obligated to authenticate for anyone. Pick and choose all you like. There's no rule that they aren't welcome here and there's obviously no role that our blessed volunteers should feel like they have to help them. Just ignore :biggrin:

Last edited:

I think the difference is in the assumptions you're making: that a member has a biz and just "happens to be a TPF member" and that her service/business comes up as an "innocent and true fact" and that the member is not out to "snare business" (to use your words). If you get rid of those assumptions, the situation isn't as innocent anymore.

;)

We're in basic agreement. My comments were about it being possible, not being the case in all instances. I absolutely don't discount that people use this site sometimes to advance their selling, unfairly. However, just as people here say "So and So sells authentic Chanel on Ebay"--and So and So is a TPF member--it is possible for mentioned reputable people to be members here but that being incidental to the referral. My only point, and it would be no different if expressed in a thread versus PM.

I think we have to not stress ourselves by splitting hairs ... what I mean is, if it's behind the scenes then we won't know unless someone complains and/or forwards proof. Kwim?
As far as doing authentications for scanners or resellers, I've said it many times before no one should ever feel obligated to authenticate for anyone. Pick and choose all you like. There's no rule that they aren't welcome here and there's obviously no role that our blessed volunteers should feel like they have to help them. Just ignore :biggrin:

Definitely, none of us in the LV area would have known about the reseller posting up authentications (some of which were way WRONG), then PMing people saying they could help them find a certain item (even having the gall to say "the mods said I couldn't post this as it was advertising so I'm PMing you"), had someone not PMed me with the proof. I forwarded it to the mods and the issue was solved quickly.

As for the ignoring...there are some people a couple of us personally do not authenticate for because they post TONS of auctions for items they can flip and resell themselves. So yes, I highly recommend the ignoring as needed. :P

Wow...the nerve... :shocked:

The scary thing is that if they're doing stuff like this it's because it works on some level.
And for every person doing it out in the open or getting caught, there are more behind the scenes.

probably, that's why it's important for people to forward us PMs that violate our rules - to protect the community from fraudsters and/or to protect the integrity of the community by stopping people from soliciting via PM even if they're legit.

I have to say that I feel that most pfers here are legit and try to follow the rules. They are here because they enjoy being here. I get alot of PMS', and I really don't see alot of "violations" via PM or "behind the scenes" illicit activity or solicitation. Most of the PM's I get are someone needing advise about a transaction gone awry, or questions about ebay reporting.

Now the issue of auth'ing on PF and then using that to sell a written authentication is something I have NEVER seen. But, I can see how that could happen. And anyone who knows someone is doing that, IMO, should refuse to authenticate anything for them. As that is WRONG. No formal written authentication should be given by a person who cannot themselves legitimize the authentication. This is NOT good and IMO puts the person paying for the AUTH letter at risk.

I DO need a bigger PM box, BTW... if that idea is still under consideration!:biggrin:

I believe we're not talking about "most pfers"--if that were there case, the forum would be seriously corrupted. This is about a minority who uses TPF resources for their own gain, who approach other members with ulterior motives.

Adms/Mods
: If increasing PM capacity is being considered, I also vote for it. Because of the PMs I have to save, I only have 25-30 spots to play with. :tup:

Swanky, that's a good advice, thanks! I'm glad I ran into this thread, I'll be more careful. And picky :biggrin:
I like helping, but people often don't read the rules, post insufficient pics or a lot of requests at once - as if they're just playing...
I didn't have negative experiences or weird/immoral offers via PM so far.

I also vote for bigger PM storage! :smile: