Question about vintage Hermès upkeep/my first new old Kelly bag

qb20

Apr 27, 2009
Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first hermès, a 35 Kelly black box on a whim last week at an auction here in Paris. In hindsight, I stupidly did not check for any of the hallmarks of authenticity before the sale because I assumed it was authentic if it was being auctioned at a famous auction house. Luckily my guess was correct - as soon as I finalized my purchase I took it straight over to FSH to ask about the date, and after bringing it up to the atelier to confirm with the craftsmen a SA informed me that the bag was from the 60s and the extra leather strap from 1989. The lock works and it has both original keys! :biggrin:

Anyways, the bag is in really great condition and I was shocked when the SA told me it was from the 60s, I figured it was 10-20 yrs old at most. She said it was in "très bon état" as well and did not mention spa treatment. I was so excited about my purchase I did not think to ask practical questions about if it needed spa treatment and upkeep - when do you take your bags to the spa, and how often? If the SA didn't say anything does that mean it doesn't need any treatment?

I've attached photos of the wear - at the feet and at the flap, but they are cellphone pics and make the bag look worse than it really is. Should I go back and ask for spa treatment? any advice or thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• kellyflap.jpg
    kellyflap.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 429
  • kellyfeet.jpg
    kellyfeet.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 401
Congratulations on your Kelly bag! It is in great shape from what I can see and for being from the 60s! I'd definitely take her in for a spa treatment. She will look even better as they will condition her and do some corner work.

Thanks everyone! I guess I will take her back to FSH today and ask about spa treatment, but it will be really hard to drop her off after only having her for a few days!:sad:

I've also attached another cellphone photo of the whole bag. Please excuse the bad photo quality.

Attachments

• kelly_opt.jpg
    kelly_opt.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,122
wowwww a kelly from the 60s... u're so lucky! i love it
attachment.php

Well, off she went. I spoke with a young SA who advised "maquillage" and who offered to repair some of the undone stitching on the inside flap, free of charge. Cost of the maquillage was quoted at 160 EUR and will take 2 months.:crybaby:
I'm not sure it really needs it since it looks like it has never been used (and the SA said I should have it done every 2 years! which seems crazy frequent), but might as well get it out of the way at the beginning of its new life.

Hoping the next 2 months fly by...

What a fabulous find-Congratulations!!!!
Two months will pass by quickly plus it gives you something to look forward to.
I own a 35cm BBK with GHW that is 12 years old and I absolutely LOVE my bag.
Enjoy:biggrin:

congrats they are the best i have a 1960 s kelly box too ,and it is one of my best bags you will enjoy it for ever. but yes send it in for a spa treatment it will help it a lot !