Question about vintage Ferragamo & resale value (???)

elisian

vintage queen
Oct 16, 2014
It's common wisdom of TPF that premier designers' luxury items retain their value. They're classic items that wear well years later, of high quality... and also retain value on the resale market. Certainly this is true of vintage Chanel seasonal bags in good condition, or vintage Hermes! Arguably, even LV does pretty well.

Ferragamo's quality is as good or better, I think. Yet I go on eBay or into any vintage shop and it's FLOODED with Ferragamo shoes for $20! O_O And, I mean, the styles are often a little outdated. But even today Ferragamo shoes are mostly "classic" and not much for trends. So the old shoes look a lot like $500 bow flats, just with a half-inch heel... I'm a little incredulous that the difference between this season's ballet flats and $20-40 shoes on eBay isn't a designer or quality, but 1/2 an inch of heel.

Can someone explain why Ferragamo (but not other shoes/bags) are so overrepresented in vintage selections... and why you, as a Ferragamo loyalist, choose to buy the new styles?

I think the answer is two-fold for me. a) I believe a lot of the items on eBay are fake and b) I buy for current enjoyment and not for future resale value.

Thanks for the insight everyone :smile: I was trying to figure out why the cheap vintage market doesn't corrode your impression of the brand, not why you'd choose a current style... I don't think anyone really chooses shoes for resale! haha.

The reason why I ask is that Ferragamo seems to be a company with a huge vintage/modern multiple, which is untrue of many other brands-- for example Chanel vintage bags are maybe 4x cheaper than current, and LV probably up to 2x (they retain value very well if in good condition). Hermes bags hardly depreciate at all.

Of course, you look at poor-quality bags (eg Fossil) and old ones are basically worthless. But I have been trying to figure out why there are so many Ferragamo shoes & bags in the midrange vintage market. You also see Dooneys and Coach in the US, but hardly many of others.

So my conclusion is prices for vintage Ferragamo are lower because it was relatively popular in US a few decades ago -- so there's a big vintage "supply" of styles now consideres "out of trend"- so those are quite cheap. Comparatively, the supply of vtg LV, Celine, etc is small in the US and big in Japan.

Interested to hear what others think.

I'd agree with that statement -- it's all about supply and demand. Also, vintage items still do look different than their modern counterparts. Perhaps those who buy them are more interested in modern seasons rather than slightly different older ones.

Thanks for the insight everyone :smile: I was trying to figure out why the cheap vintage market doesn't corrode your impression of the brand, not why you'd choose a current style... I don't think anyone really chooses shoes for resale! haha.

The reason why I ask is that Ferragamo seems to be a company with a huge vintage/modern multiple, which is untrue of many other brands-- for example Chanel vintage bags are maybe 4x cheaper than current, and LV probably up to 2x (they retain value very well if in good condition). Hermes bags hardly depreciate at all.

Of course, you look at poor-quality bags (eg Fossil) and old ones are basically worthless. But I have been trying to figure out why there are so many Ferragamo shoes & bags in the midrange vintage market. You also see Dooneys and Coach in the US, but hardly many of others.

So my conclusion is prices for vintage Ferragamo are lower because it was relatively popular in US a few decades ago -- so there's a big vintage "supply" of styles now consideres "out of trend"- so those are quite cheap. Comparatively, the supply of vtg LV, Celine, etc is small in the US and big in Japan.

Interested to hear what others think.

I agree! Which is good for me, because I happen to love there vintage shoes :smile:. By the way, I saw your gorgeous eBay purchase - I found the same bag in a tan color on eBay...very tempting!