Question about Toile Kelly

beaumonde

Escapist
O.G.
May 17, 2006
NYC
Why is it that some toile Kellys are all leather on the "flap" and some are toile and leather (see Ivanka's)?

I like the latter... something about the architecture of the mixed flap.

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else -- a search didn't return any results.

Thanks!

Attachments

Trocadero

Jun 27, 2007
I just noticed this. I LOVE her bag and don't know if I've seen one like that before. Very crisp looking design.

gracekelly

The Red Queen
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
Aaaah - fantastic. The crinoline looks fab :tup:

gk - yours sounds great

Are the crinolines all sellier?
Mine is and I think in Kelly they are. There are some crinoline Birkins and Trim bags and a Yeoh and they are not. Mine is the older fabrication and is flatter with no ridges and I think that it has to be pulled and be flat or the bag would look odd. KWIM? The new crinoline with the ridges has more versitility. The only problem with that fabrication is that they could have pulling and sagging. Oh, just remembered that Jemz had a lovely Bolide for sale (now gone) that was ridged crinoline. It was a rigide Bolide style I think.

Handybags

Make It Work
O.G.
Nov 4, 2006
Thanks gk :flowers: - I've only ever seen the ridged kind of crinoline.

Yours sounds like a very pretty bag.

perlerare

@ORANGEDAILY
O.G.
May 20, 2006
EUROPE
www.7rueparadis.com
Why is it that some toile Kellys are all leather on the "flap" and some are toile and leather (see Ivanka's)?

I like the latter... something about the architecture of the mixed flap.

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else -- a search didn't return any results.

Thanks!
Beaumonde,

Toile et cuir ( as Hermes call them) Kellys can be retourne, or sellier.

Ivanka's is Sellier. The construction is very similar to an all leather Sellier Kelly. The whole body is made of toile, and the leather parts are used as borders. If I recall well, the sides of the bag are made of leather.
The Black and toile is retourne ( this is my picture BTW;)).

The construction of the bag is very similar to a retourne all leather Kelly. Comapred to the Sellier one there is much more leather on the retourne. PArt of back and flap, upper part of the front.

On both styles, handle and straps are made of leather and the bag is all lined with leather.

If the Toile part is made of crinolin, on retourne style, the inside lining is not made of leather, but is made of linen fishbone canevas.

I like the combination bags very much, each style is interesting and very very Hermes anyway :tup: