Question about the missing cotton cloth for my new birkin bag

sunnie_518

O.G.
Dec 13, 2011
Hi everyone,

I've just got my first Birkin from my sales today and I am so excited about it! It is totally out of my expectation because I still so new to Hermès and just have began to buy its product 3 weeks ago. It is so beautiful and I just couldn't think about anything else when I was in the store

But when I got home, I've noticed that my new bk does not come with the cotton cloth which is used to protect the handware and reduce the abrasion between the leather and the metal.

I've googled a picture for a new bk and the cotton cloth I mentioned is the one wrapping the flap as in the picture. (This is not my bk)

My new lindy does come with a cotton cloth therefore I've thought all new hermes bags would have the cloth, am I right?

Is it abnormal that a new bk bag without the cotton cloth? If so, why doesn't my new bk have its cotton cloth? Though I do love my bk, I just feel a little bit uncomfortable about that.

This is my very first bk and I have no idea about this kind of situation. Could you experts can help me with my concerns?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• $_35 (1).JPG
    $_35 (1).JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,142
If you got it from the store then it should come with the felt protector for sure. I would call the store and tell them that it wasn't there and ask for another one.

However, if it was pre owned then the felt protector is the one item that tends to go missing. I usually got an old piece of cloth and make a replacement if I want one - so easy to make:smile:

If you got it from the store then it should come with the felt protector for sure. I would call the store and tell them that it wasn't there and ask for another one.

However, if it was pre owned then the felt protector is the one item that tends to go missing. I usually got an old piece of cloth and make a replacement if I want one - so easy to make:smile:

Thank you very much for your reply. It is a brand new one from the boutique and that's why I think it should come with the protector. I will try to ask my sales to find one for me.

However, I just can't figure out why does a new bag miss its protector?

To my view, the SA made a mistake. The bag should have been packed properly with the felt. It happens, though. When I got my Constance Cartable, they forgot to pack it. My SA called me to tell that they found the felt. It's just another good excuse to go to H!!!

Congrats on your beautiful bag! Post pics so we can share in your joy.

My SA threw my felt out when I bought the Kelly from the store last month, she said that the felt is for transportation purpose and once the bag is sold, they are supposed to throw it out unless the client demands to keep it. I've been bugging her to find another for me but she said only if she can sell another Kelly and if the client doesn't "ask" to keep it.

However, I asked for a few times and she said she doesn't have it because she hasn't sold another Kelly yet. I don't know if she just simply made a mistake or she just did it by the rule :sad: I've asked my question here in the TPF too and most people just told me it's just the "felt" and you don't normally store it with the felt, so you don't need it..

but i know how it feels, you spent so much on the bag, of course you want everything in the original packaging.

good luck!

My SA is from the same store as iheartorange and my new B did not have the felt either. I think they automatically take it off before they present it to you. I don't remember if if was there or not when I opened the box but my SA carefully unwrapped the plastic around the box before presenting it to me.

It is probably dependent on the store but my SA did not give me the felt either. Fortunately it doesn't bother me because I would never use it anyway. As long as I have the dust bag, I'm fine.

My current SA always ask if I want the felt. She even asks if I want her to remove the pastic cover on the hw. I always keep the felt and take off the plastic covering myself.

But my B doesn't have a felt because it didn't come home with one. Came from the same H store but different SA (no longer there). The SA might have removed it before packaging it for me.

Maybe it's a service to some customers to have all extra packaging materials removed.

It's happened to me some years ago with a gift from my DH. Actually the Kelly Danse came with no protection at all inside its box not even the bag or strap sleeper. I called my SA and she had the two sleepers and the flap protector waiting the next time I made it into Hermes.

DSA said not everyone wants the fabric or bags and apologized for not including them. My bags can stay in their boxes for years, I'm more comfortable known they are stored the way the company packages them for shipping.

Technically speaking, the felt is supposed to be used Only for transportation purpose and should not be given to customers. Some SAs in France who has been working there for tens of years is a stricter for this "rule" no matter how much you ask for it, but as we all know with H, a so-called rule does not mean it will be applied everywhere in the world. :smile: Some SAs will downright refuse to give you a replacement felt, but most of them will say it nicely as in: when I have one, I'll keep it for you, etc etc.
I know how you feel about wanting the felt, I feel the same way too, but accepted that some of my bags does not have the felt cause the SAs threw it out. Not worth the aggravation and time of "asking" for a felt cause I know what they'll do (or not do in this case).
My suggestion to you is try to ask your SA anyway, no harm to ask but don't have your hopes up too high dear. Sorry... :sad:

Every B or K I have purchased from the store, my SA would take the felt off to show me the bag, then put everything back on, just as if it was fresh out of the box. So the felt has always been put back on. It's to protect the metal rubbing each other during transportation. The SA should not mis-lay or throw away the felts.

I bought a B from FSH from a very experienced SA and the felt came with the bag. How is an SA able to determine a bag doesn't need to be transported by the customer? I consider the journey from the store to my home is transportation therefore I like the felt to be left on please.