Question about taking checks on Ebay

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Ok, I got an out of state check and was told that you should wait at least 10 business days before shipping. Now I have a buyer all huffy because she said it should only take 3 days?! I never had taken a check from Ebay before - what do you gals do?:confused1:

2. I have taken checks before and shipped right away but, when I accept a check, I don't deposit it into my account. I take it to the bank. Cash the check and just get cash back for it then, if I want to deposit the cash, I can.
    So, I guess, as long as you go cash the check and the check clears, you should be okay to ship but, I'm sure someone else here will have more info for you.

3. This is exactly why I don't take personal checks anymore. You have to wait and wait and keep checking with your bank that the check has cleared. Don't ever ship anything out before the check has cleared. I accepted a check one time and the man was so mad that I would not ship the next day. It's like a piece of paper with some numbers on it to me until the funds are in my account. To me it's just a pain. I don't know if you listed you accept checks in your listing but always say how long you will have to wait for it to clear so they aren't surprised. Anyway, I would just let her know she will have to wait until the check clears before you ship and that's your policy no matter the amount.

4. I hate it when sellers require checks or money order and not Paypal. Sometimes I feel its my right to choose my method of paying for an auction, even though I understand they are trying to save fees by doing it. In the end i have to wait for the check to clear before it gets sent and I understand that, I might not like it but I live with it. I think the buyer should just take a chill pill and realize if she wants to pay by check she's just going to have to wait for it to clear.

5. I used to explain that all checks were held for 7 business days in my listing. That way no-one is surprised. If they were under $100 or a previous customer, I shipped right away. But now that eBay has taken away the ability to say that you will take checks the only people who can send one are the people who ask if they can pay by check. Personally, I like them because it is one less fee to pay for selling your merchandise.