Question about straightness/levelness of top of Sophia

missmoz

"Me and the Moon"
O.G.
Jun 23, 2009
in the lab
Hi ladies!

I ordered a small grey gathered Sophia during PCE since my store did not have any more in stock, and received it last night. I noticed it came from San Diego, CA rather than JAX so I'm assuming it came from a store. I am unsure if this is a floor model. I did not see the brown price tag, but I do see an extra plastic tag holder (if that makes sense) around the loop where the detachable strap is, I'm guessing to keep someone from removing the strap?

Anyhow, I looked it over and in general I think it looks great except for one thing. I am sorry I don't have any pictures (at work right now) but I notice that one side (the ear as some ladies have called it) droops down further. Looking at it some more, it seems as if the top of the bag angles down from the left side to the right side where the lower ear droops. I don't remember the floor models I've seen around looking like this. I've made an illustration to help show what I'm talking about.

Are everyone's Sophias in general, pretty straight on the top part along the zipper? I dunno if I can exchange for another seeing that the grey is no longer on the website. I'm starting to think I'm being crazy and OCD about this for no reason as I'm looking at the Sophia thread.

TIA!

Attachments

Last edited:

katierose

Loves Charms & Bags
O.G.
Feb 17, 2009
California
I would measure the sides from the bottom seam to the top, and if they are even, then it's probably just the way the leather has been folded or it's been sitting. It will probably even out as the leather gets softer.

If they don't measure evenly, then I'd return it, because there's a defect and it will stay that way.

Coffee&Coach

Jan 29, 2010
I can tell you that anything with a detachable strap comes from the warehouse with the extra plastic "tag-holder" to keep it secured to the bag, so that's not anything out of the ordinary.

About the droopy side, I would do as suggested and measure it to see if it's really a defect or if the way it's falling is just making it look that way.

Whichever way it turns out, you always have the option to take it back and ask them to order a different one for you. Also, maybe consider asking about the pearl grey gathered instead of the regular grey. Since that hasn't hit the stores yet, it would be coming from fresh stock and hasn't either been on the floor for weeks or stacked in a pile on the stockroom shelves.

In any case, I hope you end up happy and with a perfect bag to show off!

missmoz

"Me and the Moon"
O.G.
Jun 23, 2009
in the lab
thanks for the responses. :wondering

I did measure and it does look like the height is equal on both sides. I kinda think the bag got smooshed on one side when it was packed in the box to ship to me. I "fluffed" out the droopy side and I think it sits better.

I saw the lighter pearl gray today in store and I was not very impressed. I think the regular gray is much prettier (as well as the lining). The new pearl gray is just too light and for some reason I think the darker gray with nickel hardware looks much more elegant.

I can't wait to use my new sophia, but the weather is just horrible and rainy here in so. cal. who says it never rains in southern california? rain rain go away!