Question about Spaying a Kitten

Miss Kris

Jan 23, 2009
Hi everyone! I have a question. I need to get my 6 mth old Persian kitten spayed. The breeder told me that if I allow the vet to use any form of pre-op or post-op tranquilizer on the kitten, that it will void the health contract. Also, she only allows gas anesthesia to be used vs. that given through an IV. She says a tranquilizer or IV could kill the kitten because of Persian facial structure. My vet is absolutely AGAINST the idea of doing the surgery without the tranquilizer, and they say it is cruel to do it without it (as a matter of fact.. he will not do the surgery without it and I will have to find another vet to do it). My breeder says that is just because the vet doesn't want to care for the kitten post-surgery, and by "doping her up" they can just throw her in a cage and move on to the next pet. Any opinions on this? I clearly don't want the kitten to die, but I had my dog neutered and my other persian spayed at the same vet and they were fine. I also don't want to void the health contract unless absolutely necessary. Help please!!!

i'm not sure what most vets use - but i would trust your vet IF you do trust them.
not sure how it would void a health contract with the breeder - as it's not like you can go back to them and say "i want my money back because anesthesia killed my pet"

but how would your breeder know how your cat was sedated during surgery?? are they requiring paperwork or something?

^^ Yes, I have to send the medical records in order to get her "papers" as part of the spay/neuter contract. She swears it kills cats and that she has been breeding for 15 years and she knows how dangerous it is...she calls my vet a "quack" because they want to use sedatives and they offer to keep the pet for overnight observation (she says this induces stress in the cat and is cruel).

I would get a second opinion if I were you. Find out how a second vet feels about what your breeder said. I have never heard of a health warranty being voided by how the vet did the spay. If your vet spayed your other Persian I'm sure he/she knows what they are doing. I would trust my vet but get another opinion anyway. Just so you can tell the breeder 2 vets said the same thing. Some breeders get a little too full of themselves and think they know everything about the breed they are raising. Obviously this one doesn't know everything since your other Persian did just fine with her spay. Congrats on your kitten by the way. I love Persians.

I just wanted to add - My vet keeps all spay/neuter patients overnight just in case anything goes wrong. It does not overly stress the cats and it is not cruel. It is a sign of a caring vet that they are willing to watch the cat for you for 24 hours. I think the breeder is the quack.

I would get a second opinion if I were you. Find out how a second vet feels about what your breeder said. I have never heard of a health warranty being voided by how the vet did the spay. If your vet spayed your other Persian I'm sure he/she knows what they are doing. I would trust my vet but get another opinion anyway. Just so you can tell the breeder 2 vets said the same thing. Some breeders get a little too full of themselves and think they know everything about the breed they are raising. Obviously this one doesn't know everything since your other Persian did just fine with her spay. Congrats on your kitten by the way. I love Persians.

I just wanted to add - My vet keeps all spay/neuter patients overnight just in case anything goes wrong. It does not overly stress the cats and it is not cruel. It is a sign of a caring vet that they are willing to watch the cat for you for 24 hours. I think the breeder is the quack.

I like how mine keeps them overnight too. That way, if something goes wrong, I don't have to stress out and speed to the vet (which is 15 miles away). I always took it as a sign of caring too, but she says it is just an extra way to get money out of us and that the price has to be built into the bill somewhere. The vet comes as highly recommended and even has a very hard to attain certification which only a few other vets in the state have. I have never had reason to doubt them.

ALSO, the breeder told me that animals shouldn't get shots in their scruff but in their legs because tumors may develop and kill the pet if it is in the neck. My vet gives the shots in the scruff (neck). Should I be worried about this or is she just going loony?

Thanks for the congrats, btw! I love persians, too! Great personalities and so pretty!

I have heard that the shots can cause injection site tumors. My vet does give the shot in the leg although I am not sure that's the reason. I guess if a tumor did development they could remove the leg. I would talk to your vet about that. I have never had that happen in the last 20 years and 20+ cats but I don't know how often it does happen.

I like how mine keeps them overnight too. That way, if something goes wrong, I don't have to stress out and speed to the vet (which is 15 miles away). I always took it as a sign of caring too, but she says it is just an extra way to get money out of us and that the price has to be built into the bill somewhere. The vet comes as highly recommended and even has a very hard to attain certification which only a few other vets in the state have. I have never had reason to doubt them.

ALSO, the breeder told me that animals shouldn't get shots in their scruff but in their legs because tumors may develop and kill the pet if it is in the neck. My vet gives the shots in the scruff (neck). Should I be worried about this or is she just going loony?

Thanks for the congrats, btw! I love persians, too! Great personalities and so pretty!

Hi everyone! I have a question. I need to get my 6 mth old Persian kitten spayed. The breeder told me that if I allow the vet to use any form of pre-op or post-op tranquilizer on the kitten, that it will void the health contract. Also, she only allows gas anesthesia to be used vs. that given through an IV. She says a tranquilizer or IV could kill the kitten because of Persian facial structure. My vet is absolutely AGAINST the idea of doing the surgery without the tranquilizer, and they say it is cruel to do it without it (as a matter of fact.. he will not do the surgery without it and I will have to find another vet to do it). !!!

I've been a Persian owner for 20 years (2 Persians) and I have never heard of this, EVER. I think your breeder is a nutcase :noggin:and knows nothing about spaying cats. Who is she to dictate how your vet does these surgeries?

I also can't see what a tranquilizer or IV has anything to do with the facial structure.

If anything, I'd cease contact with this breeder altogether. She has you in a state of fear over this health contract which is just ridiculous.

I think the breeder is confused. In order for an animal to be on gas anesthesia, a breathing tube must be put in the throat. This is not some thing that is done while the animal is awake. An injectable agent is used to sedate the animal, and the tube is placed, and the animal's anesthesia is maintained by breathing gas. Animals like persian cats, bulldogs, boxers, etc, must be on gas-their short faces can compromise breathing if they DON'T have a tube in. I'm not sure why she thinks the way she does-but she's incorrect. Animals on gas anesthesia need recovery/observation time. Certain surgeries are done on injectable anesthesia only-short, minor procedures. Those animals also need recovery/observation time. I think she's misinformed.

There has been an association with sarcomas in vaccine injection sites in cats. Many vets give vaccinations in the legs-the theory being that a leg can be amputated if a tumor developed. The rate of incidence of these tumors is unclear-some studies say 1/1000, some 1/10000. In eight years of practice, I have seen two, confirmed, to be from vaccinations.

my vet also mentioned possible tumors at the inject site, however she was mainly talking about the 3 year rabbies shot vs the 1 year rabies shot.
however... my vet does the rabbies shot near the back legs and does the other shots up in the neck area.

Thank you for all of the advice!! I am really considering just voiding the health contract and doing what my vet says is best. I had 2 pets go through surgeries there --one being a persian--and had no problems. Both of them were up and about when they came home the next day.

It does seem pretty cruel to be putting a breathing tube in without a sedative. I wouldn't want that done to myself.. much less a tiny little kitty!

I will keep the shot information in mind. They just did a 1 yr rabies shot in the neck..eek. Do you think it would be ok to ask for all future shots in the leg vs neck or is that overstepping my bounds?

It's hard to say if you're going to offend your vet...try googling Feline Sarcoma Task Force-maybe you could print it out and take it to your vet with questions.