Question about silk scarves and labels

Jun 5, 2007
Whilst in London on Saturday with allaboutnice and mooks, this interesting piece of info came up. We were looking at my scarf and aan said something about there being a letter sewn into the label which would be the initial of the person who had sewn and rolled the hem. So we checked my scarf but no, there was letter. So mooks and I were like are you sure? Anyway in Selfridges we were looking at the scarves and so we asked about it, the SA wasn't too sure what we were talking about but humored us and took a silk scarf out for aan to examine and low and behold there was a little letter sewn into the label, so we checked a couple more and they all had a letter. I'd forgotten about this till yesterday. So I decided to check the rest of my little collection. I have 3 pocket squares and a Twilly in addition to my 90cm silk. There was no letter on the pocket squares, but I did find one on the Twilly, which surprised me as it doesn't have hand rolled hems. This isn't a question about authenticity as I got all my silks either in a boutique or from H.com. But just wondering if anyone knows why some would have a letter and some not. Or is this just another of the many H mystery's we'll never get to the bottom of??? :shrugs:

If it's what I think you are referring to:

It is either supposed to inidcate a senior rouletesse finished the scarf or it could be the location of where the scarf was finished.

There are conflicting stories on it.

Last edited:
bumpity bump...

<racks brain> it was the (spelling!) Rouleteuse' initials - that's the story I remember. I thought every scarf had one of these initials inside the label...I will check through my scarves over the weekend...

Any other therories?

bumpity bump...

<racks brain> it was the (spelling!) Rouleteuse' initials - that's the story I remember. I thought every scarf had one of these initials inside the label...I will check through my scarves over the weekend...

Any other therories?
I haven't check all my scarves, but I remembr my pochtte have them and 70s too, a P most of the time.

I have / had various letters, mostly S, A or P (or none at all) - usually on the long, "double" care-tags. Sometimes folded under.
Sometimes a number on the old-type, folded tags.
Once I had a Bouteilles de la Mer, with a star stamped (not woven) on the (new, short) caretag - any ideas about that?

Last night, I checked all of my scarves, including a large mouselline for letters on the labels. I found S, A and M. Hmmm. This might be a case for the women on the yahoo Hermes Oasis group!
--Judy

Ok, just checked, 5 shawls, 3 90cm scarves and 4 twillys, only my most recently purchased twilly has a letter on the label.

They were all purchased from H stores, so I am not concerned,although I would love to know why some have a letter and others do not