Question about Sale After Auction Ends

francot1

O.G.
Jan 24, 2009
I had an auction that ended without any bids. Prior to the auction ending I had a buyer send me a message saying that if no one bids on the auction he wanted to buy it, with an offer half what it was listed for.

I sent him a message back, while the auction was still going on that I felt my price was fair and provided details of other auctions that went for way more than my starting price. In fact he just sold the same item that I was selling for $55.00 more, so I know he just wanted the item to resell it.

Now, he sends me a message saying that he will pay my asking price. He gave me his email address and said I should request money from him through paypal. I find this strange as to why he did not bid when the auction was going on.

Would this be considered an off ebay sale since the auction ended?
I have read about off ebay sales being bad for buyers as there is no protection, but what about sellers. It seems like he would have more to lose. What would be the best way to handle this? Should I tell him that I will relist it as buy it now?

Relist it. I'm thinking that if you do it off ebay he might just do a chargeback and take the item and resell it. Don't do what he's asking, it's sketchy. Either relist and let him know he can do it through ebay or block him and ruuuuun.

Relist it. I'm thinking that if you do it off ebay he might just do a chargeback and take the item and resell it. Don't do what he's asking, it's sketchy. Either relist and let him know he can do it through ebay or block him and ruuuuun.

This happened to me earlier this year with a bag I sold on ebay. I was stupid enough to take her offer and sell her the bag.... 3 months later I received a chargeback.... I fought tooth and nail... finally had to threaten legal action against the buyer to get my bag back.

Chargebacks happen with legit ebay transactions too- there's nothing you can do to prevent any buyers from filing a chargeback. Buyers do get less protection on off-ebay transaction. Maybe he wants to resell the item and doesn't want potential buyers to see that he bought it off ebay too. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't.

If he doesn't ant potential buyers to see his own purchase then he can have a buyers account like everyone else does who wants to keep purchases and sales separate.

This sounds shady, maybe it isn't but I wouldn't do it and others who have advised against it are very experienced with eBay. A smart person will try to minimize risks as much as possible.

I guess I'm trying to see what more risks you have as a seller if you do an off ebay transaction. Yes, Ebay tells you to not do it because they lose out on fees and I do know buyer risk is higher since there is no SNAD claim available. And it is against the Ebay rules and if they ever found out you could get suspended etc.... So setting those aside, suppose you sell an item off ebay and buyer pays via paypal and you send it to paypal address with a tracking number- what are the risks that you have as a seller that you would not have otherwise. I thought it was always seller's tactic to avoid fees and avoid possible SNAD claims. So why would a buyer offer to do an off ebay transaction other than to lower the purchase price? I'm in no way promoting off transactions, I am just being curious why everyone says it's more risky for the seller??? or are you thinking the way the buyer is acting is suspicious and avoid him altogether? I can understand that.

Paypal will NOT protect a seller who sells off ebay. I found that out the hard way. The buyer ALWAYS wins so if this buyer is out to scam, they will succeed.

Paypal will NOT protect a seller who sells off ebay. I found that out the hard way. The buyer ALWAYS wins so if this buyer is out to scam, they will succeed.

really? isn't it true that paypal provides no SNAD claims for any bonanzle purchases? so as long as the seller sends it to paypal address and provides the tracking number, paypal sides with the seller? I listed a few stuff on bonanzle as well- so I have no protection thru paypal even if I ship it to paypal address and provide tracking/sig confirm? (sorry it's OT, I'm just confused)

I'm not talking about the chargebacks, I don't think paypal can protect you in anyway if a buyer to file a chargeback, that's why buyer has extra protection if paid via credit cards.

I had the same thing happen to me today! The buyer wanted to purchase my item for about $70 less than the starting price and do it off ebay so I could avoid the fees. I've learned way too much from this forum about the pitfalls of that. I replied politely that I could not do that and would not take less the the bid starting price.

I have made and accepted numerous offers outside of ebay without a single negative consequence. As a seller, I don't see risk or problem if the proper precautions are taken in shipping. I stand 100% behind everything I sell and have had very, very few returns. I saved the ebay fees and pass along a portion of the savings so it is a win-win for both of us.

If you're already know the buyer is a seller and they have a good record, there shouldn't be any problem.