question about rain and vachetta

No worries...once your bag starts developing patina, the waterspot will blend in! Since its really light now, you won't even be able to notice it after the patina has developed!

If you want to protect your vachetta, Apple Garde is EXCELLENT...I drenched my vachetta once while washing canvas (stupid me had a sink full of water right beside me...) and it was okay after it dried! Thanks to Apple Garde!

I used to be super careful with the vachetta but since I carry my BH everyday to school, it doesn't get baby-ed anymore. I drop it on the floor, bang it against walls, carry it in the rain...etc. Nothing. People say that it's gonna get water marks and stain the bag forever, but so far, NONE of my bags have ANY water-related problems. Yes, there are some minor dirt, but after several downpours this fall, my BH is still spotless, I swear! (perhaps baby wipes protected it? i dunno...)

I always try and have a wee bit of patina on my bags before I take them out. Where I live we have four seasons in one day! My papillon straps got a bit spotty when newer, but I dabbed water (you may cringe!) on all of them and let it dry. Then I rubbed oil from my hands on them to give them a wee shine and they look great. My Noe handle is newish and spotty now, so I may do the same to her.

Hello!

I need to share this: My Neverfull Mono got really, really wet today. The vachetta was soakin' wet. totally dark and "soft" like a sponge. But: not all areas got wet. So there where dark and light areas - dry and wet.

When I came to the office I just pressed a towel on the wet vachetta - no rubbing etc. to remove the exceed water.

After 3 hours - guess what: NO STAIN! at all!!! I am so happy and a little bit proud of this wonderful product.
It's like nothing has happened at all.

So, from now on, I will walk with my LV in ANY weather with my new vachetta (10 days old), the rain doesn't do any harm.

This is such a relief! ... after reading all the anxious postings here, the treatments, conditioning etc.

I have not experienced snow so far, so this is the "go" for rain. :yahoo:

Reactions: dat1girl4u
I am very careful with my bag, but in the end you cant help getting caught in the rain! I have never had any staining. Once the leather has dried there are no marks!

I am very careful with my bag, but in the end you cant help getting caught in the rain! I have never had any staining. Once the leather has dried there are no marks!
ita!

once again - returned home from a 40 min walk in drizzle rain no stains at all.
I am so "proud" of my super vachetta. we grow old together. I get wrinkles and she gets a tan :graucho:

I covered mine with some leather spray i got when i got my leather shoes. It makes them waterproof and stuff.

My Mono NF was SOAKED after spending 2.5 hrs in on and off drizzling rain. I was devastated. But it dried and totally spotless. And from then on I didn't really care, it was soaked not along ago as well because it was POURING. Dried and no water stains and still has the lovely light honey tan.

Treat it, and it will be fine. My cousin never treats her 2 LVs, and they look AWFUL with water stains, and she doesn't even care. It is horrible. I can't believe she treats her bags like that!

I protected mine when the bag was brand new with the For Handles Only cream from www.lovinmybags.com and it works miraculously!! I would never take the chance to get soaked with my LV bag in the rain, but on a couple of occasions I got caught in a light drizzle but the vachetta dried completely without leaving any stain! So I swear by the protectant now :yes:

I think protectant is important, who knows when it pours...
I seriously take off jackets (in the middle of China winter which is freezing) to protect that NF, it still got soaked, along with my jacket, and myself. Glad I didn't catch a cold. I bet people thought I was a complete nut head protecting my BAG and not myself......

Thank god for the protectant or else I would be in tears. But I will never take is out when it is raining just to get it wet..... it deserves more lvoe...

I'm very confused. I've read all the posts in this sub topic regarding water stains on untreated new vachetta and there seems to be a lot of conflicting info. Some say water marks will stain the bag forever. Some say it will blend in over time. Some say vachetta will dry with out any staining at all? How can it be? I've been eyeing a basically brand new BV in my local consignment store and it's mint except the vachetta is covered in water marks? I'd love to buy it but are these marks going to come out since they have been present on the bag for awhile?

Thanks for your time. Sorry to 'beat a dead horse' but I'm confused?

I was in London last week with my first ever LV purchase...Tivoil GM...Just coming out of the Hilton and heading towards new Bond Street & Oxford street. But suddenly I felt it...few droplets of rain...OMG... I panicked & my hubbie thought I'd gone mad worrying about my handbag staps getting water marks. I crossed the road & went straight in to Hamleys toy shop where I met a real sweet shop assistant who kindly gave me a huge carrier bag to protect my bag. She said she completely understood as has a monogram bag herself. Aaaawww...so sweet of her. Now I keep that bag folded in my Tivoli, just in case it happens to me again.
Has anybody got any similar or unusual incidents on how they protected the vachetta on thier bags when suddenly the rain appeared??? :smartass:

i only have a few LV's with vachetta.. but with those, yes, i do panic once it starts to rain! my hubby does as well.. and so, yeah, i keep a neatly folded plastic bag in my purse, armed for the unpredictable London weather...
but i also do check the weather forecast beforehand as well...
:P