Question about Quilted Bay

Sep 23, 2009
Calling all Bay bag experts!

I was wondering (hoping) if any quilted Bay owners out there in the know could help me. Does anyone know how many different sizes (including rough dimensions) the classic quilted two handle Bay bag came in?

I currently own what I think is the "small" quilted Bay in black. It measures 11.5W" x 8.5H" x 4D" with a 5" handle drop. I absolutely LOVE this bag and have always wanted to get it in a bigger size (not too big), but I have always been confused about what sizes are/were available and thus hesitant about buying Bay online. :confused1:

So I guess I am asking: Does the classic, quilted, two handle style come in a small, medium, and large? If so, what are the measurements for the medium and the large? And doesn't the quilted two handle bag also comes in more of a bowler style - longer in height and less wide, and without quilting on the back side? Does anyone know the name of that Bay style? :thinking:

I looked at the 'everything you want to know about Bay' thread and although it is helpful with photos, it doesn't seem to offer much info about the different sizes and measurements the quilted style came in.

I'm mainly interested in the traditional, basic black leather.

All info much appreciated!! Thank you! :flowers:

Last edited:
The Bay comes in various sizes, I'm just not sure which is which. I think the ones I have are considered the medium (pic below), there is a larger version and a smaller version. There is also a taller version of this style, as well as a more rectangular, sorry, don't know the correct names or dimensions. (I love the tall version in black patent). I believe there are some pics in 'Chloe in Action' of the large Bay and maybe the smaller one too. The Bay is a great bag, regardless of size. I keep thinking I need to part with one of mine (since I've bought so many other Chloe's since), but each time I take them out, just can't do it.;)

If you haven't already, you might consider scanning E-Bay or some of the on-line consignment retailers of older bags (Ann's Fabulous Finds, etc.) to find measurements.

Attachments

• bags 3-08 112.jpg
    bags 3-08 112.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I agree...llsons are medium size.
It's the most popular size ( bag was seen on Misha Barton, Kylie Minogue etc.) I am not sure if there was a smaller version of this model ( two zipped compartments same front- and backside )
http://www.kelleyboutiques.com/i/chloe/chloe_quilted_bay_black_leather_bag.jpg
measures about 14.5" W x 11" H x 6"D, ( all measurements are taken from the net )

I also own a smaller one, quilted as well, but it looks different ( with a flat backside )
http://cachexl.theoutnet.com/images/products/30467/30467_in_xl.jpg
this version came also in a large ( huge) version

There also was a Bowler Style...not wider but higher, as far as I remember...not sure by heart but I the backside was plain
http://www.ibuybag.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/chloe-bay-bag.jpg
( 13"W x 11.5"H x 6"D )

and...there was wider/deeper version as well...larger
http://allthatbags.com/photos_lg/chlo00107.jpg
( 16"W x 10 1/4"H x 8"D )

and smaller ( with front pockets, only found a picture of a patent one, came in leather as well )
http://adn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluefly/prodImage.ms?productCode=214146000&width=340&height=408
( 15"W x 9.5"H x 7"D )

That's all I know...

Last edited:
llson and Chloe75-

You ladies are so incredibly knowledgeable and helpful!! It doesn't hurt that you have the most fabulous Chloe collections! :graucho: I appreciate all the info...thank you! :flowers::flowers:

So now I know what I am trying to track down: the medium size in black that llson shows in her photos - the one that measures 14.5" W x 11" H x 6"D, as you state Chloe75. Your Bays are gorgeous, llson and I know you have more!!! And if my memory serves me correctly you have the medium size too Chloe 75, in the black. That medium size seems perfect IMO. I have the same bag - exact same details to the T - but with the smaller measurements I provided above, so a small does exist. I would just love that it have an exact sister in the more practical, everyday medium. The small is great, can even fit it around my shoulder w/o a coat, but is a bit too compact for everyday use IMO.

So, I just bought the "bowler" you have in your photo Chloe 75, but in Black. I can't wait to see her as she has not yet arrived and I love that taller style! All I need is the medium black quilted and I will have a little trio of Bay heaven! I will do a reveal when the black Bay bowler style arrives!

I can see how it is the perfect bag and would be hard to get rid of, even when you have purchased other Chloe bags and want to streamline. I could never part with my little Black Bay! Thank you, ladies!

Oooh, and I plan to move onto patent Bays after I establish a collection of the basics! The patent on Bay is the most beautiful patent I have ever seen...besides patent on Betty!

My black Chloé Bay was my very first Chloé Bag I ever bought...unfortunately I do not have this Bay anymore ( had to return it because Chloé didn't manage to repair ist...).
I bought another one...the older version with the blue edges...never was happy with her...so I was searching for "my" version with the black edges for such a long time...finally found it on ebay and I could never ever let her go...even though I do not really use it...maybe I should...

It's an amazing classic to keep in your wardrobe forever, I think. It is so lovely and classic - I can see how it caught your eye the first time and then you wanted to get it back - and you did! You know, there are so many bags that I refuse to part with that I don't use that often - and that is natural when we have SO many great bags to choose from within our closets! BUT - that fact you cannot part with it and will use it on occasion justifies keeping it IMO. In contrast, there are a few bags I had no difficulty parting with and I did - by selling them on Ebay, etc. - and I have no regrets. You never want to have regrets later for selling a bag! We have a long life ahead of us (knock on wood) and will use our favorite bags - even if not every day - which would be boring!

Don't think I can part with my remaining Bays, I did sell my Bay hobo, just didn't carry it, so now my Bay total is 5, 2 quilted, 2 non-quilted satchels, and a white hobo/satchel style. The Bay is a timeless, classic style.

Chloe75 that little Bay is so cute!!

MadforChloe, congratulations on your bowler, I love that style, guess I should be on the lookout for the black patent.:rolleyes:
Have you seen the green patent.............gorgeous!!

namie-

Thank you so much for the tip - I will contact them asap! I think I read somewhere that you were interested in a Bay as well - which style were you going to get/or did you end up getting?! The Bay is such a classic - it is a shame they discontinued it and we can only find them from consignment shops and Ebay!!

llson - I would love to see a photo of your entire Bay collection - not to mention your ENTIRE Chloe collection...I know it must be beautiful!! :love::cloud9:

Yes, I should do a Chloe family portrait, it's just that I need to get them all out of the closet and gathered together or a family shot....maybe this weekend I'll get energetic enough to do it.
What about yours?? Must be a beautiful collection, waiting to see that....:drool:

namie-

Thank you so much for the tip - I will contact them asap! I think I read somewhere that you were interested in a Bay as well - which style were you going to get/or did you end up getting?! The Bay is such a classic - it is a shame they discontinued it and we can only find them from consignment shops and Ebay!!

llson - I would love to see a photo of your entire Bay collection - not to mention your ENTIRE Chloe collection...I know it must be beautiful!! :love::cloud9:

I am looking out for the bowler style or medium style. I have a blanc quilted bay and antelope unquilted bay. I don't mind getting another one but currently on a ban. Only bag that can make me break a ban is Elvire.

namie-

I love the antelope color in the non-quilted Bay, it's one of my all-time favorite color/leather combinations on Chloe. It's nice to have the blanc quilted bay and a quilted black - would be so practical to have both! You should show us a Chloe family album - would love to see your collection! Thank you again for the tip about the Bay and sending the link.

I'm pretty much on a ban but allowing myself Bay....then I will probably have to wait until the new year for any new bags. It will be difficult to pass up the after-Thanksgiving and holiday sales coming up...but I am committed to not buying a bag simply because it is on sale...it has to be something I have been lusting after for a while or am in LOVE with. No exceptions! Hope I can keep to this...