Question About Picking Up Items on eBay

MissMollie

Sep 15, 2010
I have a buyer who did BIN on an item while I was at work today. When I got home, I went to print the postage via Paypal, and noticed that she is in the same town. This item is HUGE and is going to cost a ton to ship, and my listing had free shipping. The buyer is in a hurry to get the item for an event, and asked if I can just bring it to her at the realty business she owns. (It's about a mile from my home - the post office will take til Thursday or Friday if I wait on them, because all the mail goes to the sort facility in the city, and then back to our town, which I think is silly, but whatevs). Anyway, if I take the item to her, how do I get proof of delivery for Paypal? Thanks in advance for any advice! :biggrin:

i understand you listed free shipping so it would save you tons if you handed it in person but i would do it off ebay if so, and ask to cancel the transaction and have her bring the cash and meet you--otherwise i'd do the shipping just to have tracking no and confirmation so that if anything you have proof of delivery.

Wonder if you could use an inner city courier service that would provide you with a signature confirmation receipt? That way it would still be thru a 3rd party that is neutral on the subject. We use those @ my work & they're decently priced. Sometimes rates are even based on mileage & fuel. Just an idea....

Is there any reason not to trust her/believe she is honest?

I have delivered two items in person before. One was cash in person and the other was paid via paypal. I marked the cash one as paid and shipped in ebay. Of course, the one that was paid through paypal was automatically marked as paid then I had to mark it as shipped. I then refunded the shipping fees to her in cash in person. I then wrote notes in the ebay transaction marking the time, place, and date that I met with the buyers.

I called eBay automotive who deals with local pick frequently. They confirmed what karmenzsofia has noted, it it not proof for PP.

You have already made your decision to ship, so the following discussion would be for anyone else caught in this dilemma.

When you make a listing you can offer multiple choices for media mail, priority, parcel post, etc. so I tried to see if you could have a shipping fee and give a choice for local pick up. It would not accept it, so at the moment, I can not offer a good solution other than the one you chose not to do, refund and then handle it manually.

It is a good question though, so I will continue to dig. Should I find something, I will bring it to this forum.

Just to update - I did ship via USPS, they promised delivery tomorrow. The buyer is ecstatic to get it, and it will be to her for her event Friday. Thanks again, all! :biggrin:

But, I do have a question - we have bought several cars on eBay. If a buyer chose to purchase on eBay and pay via Paypal so they could take advantage of buyer protection - HOW does the seller prove that the buyer got the vehicle? Like, in the case of smaller motorbikes or ATVs that don't have titles? Thanks for all the info. ;)

When I sold a camper for $17,000, PP could only handle the deposit. The rest was paid by cashier's note and we went to the bank with the buyer. Of course that was something they recorded transfer of ownership and identities were checked by the bank and county agent, but that might not have protected me from a PP charge-back if the buyer had claimed they did not pick the camper up.

I asked that of the eBay Motors help desk and they said they were aware of people who stopped selling on eBay for that exact reason. PP would not protect them because there was no third party documentation.

God itself could come down from the heavens to deliver it and it wouldn't matter. :P

OK, seriously--a notarized document can be faked, plus it has to online-trackable proof of delivery. For more details, check it out on the eBay or PP website.

Motor vehicles are among the few items exempt from this rule.