Question about mothball smell....

I know when we rented a house, and it smelled of smoke, they said crumpled up newspaper and charcoal --- the kind you put in fish tanks pulls out the smoke smell. I think Heloise would have some hints. It usually involves sunlight, but that wouldn't work with a bag. Might ruin the bag. I would google some of the Hints from Heloise. She gets asked this a great deal.

I think you were deceived by the seller. I would hate a bag that smelled of moth balls and I think that is a smell that would linger forever. Something does not sound right if the bag was shipped from HK and it said Canada. Are you sure the bag is authentic????
If it was me, I would want my money back and I would buy my Mom a item from Elux., even if it wasn't a bag a agenda or wallet would be really nice. There is nothing better than NEW LV.... My personal opinion is that I would feel terrible in giving my Mom a bag that smelled no matter how much love was put in the gesture.

I think you were deceived by the seller. I would hate a bag that smelled of moth balls and I think that is a smell that would linger forever. Something does not sound right if the bag was shipped from HK and it said Canada. Are you sure the bag is authentic????
If it was me, I would want my money back and I would buy my Mom a item from Elux., even if it wasn't a bag a agenda or wallet would be really nice. There is nothing better than NEW LV.... My personal opinion is that I would feel terrible in giving my Mom a bag that smelled no matter how much love was put in the gesture.

The bag is 100% authentic and is in mint condition. Not even one mark on it. Just the damn smell! I may see if I can send it back & get my mom a wallet & key holder...or maybe I'll keep the bag for myself since I have the patience to try and get the smell out.

I've never bought a used LV before, hell I don't own anything used, not even a car...but it's in a color LV doesn't make anymore so clearly I didn't have a choice. It's what she likes. :yes:

Thanks again everyone!

I know when we rented a house, and it smelled of smoke, they said crumpled up newspaper and charcoal --- the kind you put in fish tanks pulls out the smoke smell. I think Heloise would have some hints. It usually involves sunlight, but that wouldn't work with a bag. Might ruin the bag. I would google some of the Hints from Heloise. She gets asked this a great deal.

Thank you! I googled Heloise and a suggestion she has that would work with the bag is putting newspaper in it. :yes:

Ohh, ok! I'll see if I can find them!

The box looks like this:

051209102230.jpg

I just received a bag off of ebay where the seller stated they were from CANADA. Item location, CANADA. I get the bag in the mail, its from HONG KONG. It REEKS of mothballs. I was PLANNING on giving it to my mom as part of her birthday gift but now I'm almost embarassed to give it to her!

My question is, if I WASH the bag, do you think some of the stench will come out? It's an epi noe. Would water make the mothball smell WORSE? As you can tell, I'm pretty pissed off right now. I'm just mad that I was deceived! Would washing the bag make the smell worse?

Oh sweetie - I'm so sorry - been there done that :crybaby:
I don't know when you plan to give the purse to your mom but I received my Epi Noe about 2 months ago and it still smells (just a little bit but I still can sniff it :crybaby: )
The only thing that I did not tried it was leaving it days and nights out in the fresh air and sun (since I don"t have a balcony or a backyard) but I've put it in the window for hours at the time, Fabreeze, upside down on an ionizer thingy, Lampe Bergere inside, I soacked it in warm water (just the inside) with Tocca orange laundry detergent (great, strong smell - unfortunatelly not strong enough) and then dried it with a hair drier...what else...oh yes.. I keep a ziploc bag (with small holes) with coffee beans inside all the time...so as I was saying 2 months and still going...sorry to disapoint you...good luck

This is totally off-topic, but the smell of mothballs is my favorite smell. Ever since I was little, I've liked it. :-P

Hahaha I'm sorry for bringing this thread back up... but this cracked me up! :roflmfao:

I'm about to buy a bag from let-trade.com and I'm hoping I dont get the mothball problem... Thanks for the great advice ladies!