Question about GRAY handbags

duranie70

Handbag Addict
O.G.
Aug 25, 2006
I used to have a Kooba Lena in slate (grey) I sold it when I found out from others it was turning gray. I have a light gray Ignes Ormala.. I seem to think the color is turning. Do all gray bags seem to turn color after awhile? What causes it? Do the BBags in anthracite turn to a greenish tint too ?

Please give me your experiences- good or bad - with gray bags.

Anthracite bbags come with a bluish or greenish tint when they're made (ie supposed to be like that)

As for the others, I've heard this is a problem with Kooba's bags but not ant others. I have a FIG Rebecca Minkoff Nikki. It's too soon to tell ifit turns any tints though...

We see some pretty unique grey leathers that are complex color blends.
The more blue that's in your grey, the more likely it is to wash out over time with exposure revealing the other tints in the dye. (explanation in the Linea Pelle Care thread where turquoise was losing blue; we also encountered Hayden Harnett's Eucalyptus that was getting greenish - losing it's blue- over in HH sf.) Some serious research and discussion with experts in the field helped me better understand this problem. I already knew blue to be unstable, but was determined to discover a means of preservation of delicate color. What we use to cleanse and treat our bags affects the color, too, so it's important to use the right stuff, dust covers, and common sense.
Leelee is on the right track. Unfinished leather, lacking a topcoat, is more vulnerable but there are safe ways to protect without altering soft matte qualities.

hth

We see some pretty unique grey leathers that are complex color blends.
The more blue that's in your grey, the more likely it is to wash out over time with exposure revealing the other tints in the dye. (explanation in the Linea Pelle Care thread where turquoise was losing blue; we also encountered Hayden Harnett's Eucalyptus that was getting greenish - losing it's blue- over in HH sf.) Some serious research and discussion with experts in the field helped me better understand this problem. I already knew blue to be unstable, but was determined to discover a means of preservation of delicate color. What we use to cleanse and treat our bags affects the color, too, so it's important to use the right stuff, dust covers, and common sense.
Leelee is on the right track. Unfinished leather, lacking a topcoat, is more vulnerable but there are safe ways to protect without altering soft matte qualities.

hth

that's good to know. thanks!

i have three grey bags. none of them have gone through any color changes.

I have a dark gray Vintage Ligne Chanel bag that is still the same gray it's always been. It's a distressed leather though, so I don't know if that makes a difference.