Scarves Question about GM shawls and steel

Chickipotato

Jan 25, 2019
Hi everyone!!

I've been lurking TPF for a while and finally created an account to post a question of my own.
I've recently become obsessed with GM shawls (uh oh..) and have been trying to think of how I'd like to organize them. I came across this ladder idea that I thought would be a beautiful way to display the scarves in my room. However, my concern is that the ladder I'm looking at (below) is made of steel. I don't know if I'm being too paranoid, but could the steel be harmful to the cashmere/silk in any way if they're hanging there for a long time? If so, would it be helpful if I wrapped the steel rungs in felt (or something else?) first?
I'd also appreciate any other scarf display ideas you might have! I've seen the hangers and the folders, but I don't have much closet space left and I really love the idea of the scarves being "on display" somehow in my room, like art.

Thank you so much for reading!

yamazaki-ladder-re-shoot.jpg

Hi everyone!!

I've been lurking TPF for a while and finally created an account to post a question of my own.
I've recently become obsessed with GM shawls (uh oh..) and have been trying to think of how I'd like to organize them. I came across this ladder idea that I thought would be a beautiful way to display the scarves in my room. However, my concern is that the ladder I'm looking at (below) is made of steel. I don't know if I'm being too paranoid, but could the steel be harmful to the cashmere/silk in any way if they're hanging there for a long time? If so, would it be helpful if I wrapped the steel rungs in felt (or something else?) first?
I'd also appreciate any other scarf display ideas you might have! I've seen the hangers and the folders, but I don't have much closet space left and I really love the idea of the scarves being "on display" somehow in my room, like art.

Thank you so much for reading!

yamazaki-ladder-re-shoot.jpg
I would be more afraid of moths than steel.

Hmm, I've never seen any evidence of moths in my house (knock on wood), but thanks for giving me that point to consider!

I thought of that too, but prefer the steel look if it's not harmful to the scarves. Maybe I'll keep looking for some wood options too.

You are very lucky. But be careful, moths LOVE cachemire. I said RIP to some pullovers that were in a closed wardrobe.

I don't think there's a problem if cashmeres are out all the time (although not in direct sunlight). I think they're more are risk in the dark folded away. All cashmeres should be washed before being put away and then unfolded, checked and shaken regularly.

Steel is fine, make sure the rod is 100% smooth. If you choose wood make sure it's varnished and smooth, the tiniest splinter can create a pull. .

Steel is fine as long as it is smooth, as others pointed out. I assume OP doesn't have pets or small children who love to explore nice things hanging in th open,

I am actually thinking that something that is being hung in the open is less likely to attract moths as they seem to thrive in darker closed places where they are may not get detected until the damage is done. I have never faced the problem myself, but I am pretty religious about handwashing my scarves.

I am not a big fan of storing silk or cashmere in ziplock bags long-term as these bags can release chemicals that react with moisture and can cause yellowing. Items also don't breathe in them, moisture can get trapped, which will lead to mildew. If moths are a concern, storing them in their H cardboard boxes is a good idea -- they are a tight fit and I would imagine any moth would find it hard to break in!

As for light damage, that could be a concern if the scarves are by the window in bright sunlight, but most likely it would be fine.

The one problem I see with this solution is that it only fits so many slopes, and it is indeed a slippery slope... Very realistically, I would probably store mine in boxes (if bought at the boutique) or just in a drawer until I had a better idea of how many scarves I would end up with.

This is exactly how I store my shawls, actually - on a ladder. However, for me the ladder is inside my closet (it's not a display per se, just a pretty way to keep shawls and large scarves out so i can see what I have when dressing) - so no issues with sunlight.
There should not be an issue with steel unless it's either rough or totally raw.

Love the idea, but i would use same tone felt on the rungs that would protect the silk cashmere ( humidity can bevan issue with metal against organic textiles) and check periodically for moth/ insect damage. Dust mites could also collect in the folds. h silks are so artistic, it is wonderful to showcase them in the home too.