Question about engagment rings!!!

My bf and I have a really good relationship. We've been together for more than 4 years. Even though we both don't want to get married for another few years, until I'm done with school, we stil talk about it. He knows exactly what kind of ring I want. I got a fake ring and told him that's what I want, only real (duh) and he keeps it in his car! lol.

We went shopping together, and he knew I wanted white gold or platinum, but would've been happy with a simple band, too.

Ultimately, he custom ordered one after I told him I liked the style (5 stone 1c round middle, 1/2 c rounds on either side then a baguette on either side) and totally surprised me with the proposal. We were in my kitchen getting ready to have lunch.

I think most guys are relieved to know what you like.

Congrats, and good luck!

We were engaged after a very short period of time (6 weeks) and DH didn't yet know that I wouldn't appreciate not having a say--which is to say, I would have rather picked it out myself. (Though I would have selected something that he also liked.) Unfortunately, I could never fake the fact that I hated my engagement ring. No matter how much I denied it, he knew.

After we were married for 10 years, he gave me a bigger diamond and let me pick the setting (and btw, I've now reset that ring for the third time, but change is good:rolleyes: ) and the original engagement ring is now a diamond drop. Much better this way.:yes:
Champaign

I definitely wanted to go w/ him initially so I could show him what cut of stone I wanted and yes...the carat weight I "preferred". I knew I also wanted platinum. I narrowed it down to 3 choices and I let him be the final judge of which one to give me. That way it sort of feel like a surprise. My guy was very INTO the whole diamond thing I have to say...it really surprised me.

AJ

I don't remember even talking about it but hubby went for a classic platinum 6 prong set round solitaire. He did his homework and didn't go for any fancy setting- I guess he anticipated that we would upgrade the setting in a couple years. With such a big and important purchase, I don't think there's anything wrong with guiding your BF in the right direction. If you guys have mutual friends, they can drop hints too. My cousin has already informed me that it's my responsibility to make sure that her future fiance picks the right ring! :biggrin:

Here's a nice way to do it: you go shopping together and the bride picks out the setting, that is the band and any side stones. After all, she has to wear it every day for the rest of her life.

The groom can fill the center in with whatever size and quality diamond that appeals to him. After all, he's the one footing the bill, he should be able to determine how large a bill that is.

I love reading all these posts!!! At work the other day a women came in with a BEAUTIFUL ring and I told her i loved her ring. and she laughed and said honey it took me 20 years to get this and she told me that when her husband first proposed he had a gold ring (she has only ever worn silver) with a opal stone!!! she said when he proposed and opened the box she said the look on her face was priceless!!! it made me laugh!! she told me that she just wore her wedding band for 19 years until she found the perfect ring!!!

thats why I want to pick out my own ring!!!

Hubby has a completely different syle then me so, when we started talking about marriage we went to the jeweler sat down and I picked out several different rings that I liked. In the end he went alone and chose from the rings I had picked out. I got what I wanted :yahoo: and he was happy cause I was happy.
Remember you have to wear it so it should be what you like, you can drop hints but there's nothing like picking out a few so he knows he can't go wrong :yes:

Ok this is not really a personal question but i want everyones opinion!!!

my boyfriend and i have talked numerous amounts of times about getting married. We have looked at rings also and we have VERY different taste!!!

this is my question....those of you that are married or engaged did u help pick out the ring or let him know what u like and dont like or did he totally surprise you??
and those of you who arnt what do you think?

i have told him what i like but when i point something out hes like thats ok and when he shows me something i am like ewwww!!!! i just feel like we have to wear the ring every day forever we should love it...i dont want that to sound selfish or anything...just wanted some opinions!!!!

I picked it out. All he cared about was getting what *I* wanted. With the wedding rings, we did the same thing: he picked his out, and I picked mine out.

The one who is wearing the ring should get to decide, IMO (as long as what you choose is within his budget.)

Ash

My dh and I picked out my rings and his ring together. I figured that we should both be happy with what we were getting since we were going to be wearing them all the time, you want something that you love and is very special to you. :love: If you guys don't want to do the process together then you could give him details of the ring that you really love, that is what happened with my BIL, she showed him a couple of rings and he picked out the engagement ring and she loves it!

my husband and i went through the process together. I had very unique and specific "wish list". I wanted a ruby center stone over 2cts and their not terribly easy to find. We went through several gem dealers before finding the stone. Once we found the stone, we had the ring designed, i was able to see the wax of the ring, and after that, he made a few small changes and proposed.

We looked at it as a TEAM effort, our first significant purchase together! I love my unique ruby/diamond pave halo ring!