Question about engagement rings

meechelley

O.G.
Sep 1, 2008
So I have been with my boyfriend for about 5 years now and we both know we want to get married. I found him looking at engagement rings lately and hes been asking me about things related to rings =P. I'm not a jewelry person and the only thing I wear everyday is the necklace he gave me our first valentines together. I was wondering if it would be wrong or inappropriate to have a non diamond engagement ring. Although they are pretty, I'm not sure how much I would like a big stone extruding from my finger. I have fallen in love with the Chanel camelia ring with the diamond leaf and I was wondering if its too weird to have that as an engagement ring.

Any advice would be much appreciated! TIA

its not to weird at all ... you just have to think ... is that the ring that will last you for the rest of your life? Diamonds are hard and wear well ... You could choose an alternative like a coloured stone?? Or just a band with some little pave diamonds all over it?

Congrats too - its the best feeling in the world when you get engaged!

i was actually looking at engagement rings with my friend the other day. and i asked if alot of people were opting non diamonds, or colored stones. and the SA said that they are becoming increasingly more popular. but i agree that it should be whatever you like, as you will be wearing it everyday....wouldnt make sense to have one you didnt care for, right?

I don't think it's weird per se. . . but I do encourage you to think way ahead. Is it possible at all you'll wish you had a slightly more traditional ring?
Even just a pretty band or a smaller very low profile stone - diamond or not?

I didn't want a diamond in my engagement ring, and the ring my husband proposed with was not at all typical in design. It's very different, but it's very me. While nothing is harder than a diamond, there are many durable gemstones. If it feels right, go for it! :tup: You're the one who has to wear it. So don't worry if it's weird; make sure you love it.

Get whatever you want! As long as you love it, who cares what others think. While diamonds are the hardest, there are plenty of other durable stones out there. . . Congrats on the pending engagement!

You don't have to get a diamond, that's just the norm for most people.

I have some friends who recently got engaged. They looked at all types of engagement rings, diamonds and all. In the end, she said that diamonds just weren't her thing, and they ended up getting a very inexpensive silver band with some kind of green inlay. She's very Bohemian, and it just fit her style better.

wear what ypu love albeit i personally would find the chanel camelia to much like a cocktail/fun ring .
it is very personal though but for an enagement ring one has to conisder if the design works with a wedding band and if you would love it in the years to come and also want to wear it daily (almost daily)

I said the same thing.. no diamonds for me. BF got me a magnificant blue sapphire set in the middle of two lovely tear drop shaped diamonds. And it's still my favorite piece of jewelry and I still wear it every day.

I agree with the other advice -- get what you love! AND... thats not to say that your engagement ring will be the last ring you ever get.