Question About Classic Box Bag Leather

I'm very curious about this too. I've owned my classic box for about a month. It's definitely not liege or spazzolato calf; the leather looks just the same as the bag in your picture. But it seems REALLY resilient. I've been carrying it every day, not babying it at all (accidentally bashed it into things quite a few times), and it's completely scratch free. I've got quite long, pointed nails too, for the record!

I'd wondered if it was perhaps a slightly different leather, because I keep reading about how box calf is so easily scratched. The tag simply says "calf".

Do you have the code? Can you post it here? This sounds really interesting!! Maybe they finally come up with a box leather that's more resilient?!

You are right, that's box calf. The box calf I have seen on display before is always scratched up, in fact that's why BG now only carries box bags in exotic leather after so many complaints? So maybe they have changed the box leather a bit for the new season?

That's very puzzling. Honestly, my first reaction was that those complaining about scratches must be extremely fussy, or very rough on the bags. But now I'm not so sure. It's true that not all box calf is equal - for example vintage Hermes box calf is apparently very sturdy, with poorer quality seen in more recent years. Perhaps Celine has gone the other way. That would be nice! They did update the strap design in the newer box bags, so it wouldn't surprise me if they also updated the leather in response to complaints.

Yea, it would be great if they really updated their box leather after hearing all the complaints as I really like the box bags and do plan to buy more in the future, but I don't want another in liege calf as I'd like to have more variety, and plus liege is not released every season and not in too many colors so far. Better box calf means I'll have more options!

hikarupanda, would you be so kind to share a picture of your box bag? a close up of the leather is fine too.

I recently bought my first box bag from Saks, it's in dark brown and it came with a few scratches. I don't really mind because I've heard about the scratch-prone leather and i know eventually it will get scratched as i wear it. To me it adds more character to the bag. :smile:
But I'm curious to see what other leathers look like, as you point out different leathers that came with the classic box. I believe i have the regular leather, and I'm wondering what liege calf looks like? Thank you!

That is an interesting thread. Thanks for starting it OP!

I love the look of the box bag and would inmmediately pull the trigger if the leather was improved and would be more scratch resistant.

I tried the box different times, but I am spoiled by the undestructable Chanel caviar leather and know that I will not be happy with a box bag showing new scratches after each wear.

So, I will keep looking for other leather options on the box bag or for infos on improved leather quality....and for the helpful intel I get from the TPF!

That is an interesting thread. Thanks for starting it OP!

I love the look of the box bag and would inmmediately pull the trigger if the leather was improved and would be more scratch resistant.

I tried the box different times, but I am spoiled by the undestructable Chanel caviar leather and know that I will not be happy with a box bag showing new scratches after each wear.

So, I will keep looking for other leather options on the box bag or for infos on improved leather quality....and for the helpful intel I get from the TPF!

You are very welcome!! Let us know if you get a chance to see the box leather of the latest box bags and let us know what you think of it too! I'd love to hear more opinions on the leather too!

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1416072532.739244.jpg

As a side note, I found this mark on the back side of the clasp on the strap. Had my SA transferred another box bag to me and also found some light marks on the top side of both clasps. My hubby said they look more like dye/paint underneath the protective layer than tarnish or rust (kind of sloppy by the craftsman). I decided to stick with the original strap I got since at least it's on the back side so nobody could see. But is this pretty common on the box clasps hardware? Would this bother you?

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1416073599.348385.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1416073608.322496.jpg
These are the marks on the clasps on the other strap. They are more faint but they are on the top side. Seems like they all have some imperfections, my hubby told me to stick with the original strap coz at least it's just on the back side of one clasp. What do you think?

Thank you for sharing the close-up. I just saw your mod pictures in the other thread, it is a gorgeous color and leather combo! :smile:

I didn't notice any color marks on my hardware but there were some faint scratches. Personally I'm not too bothered by it, but i'd keep the original strap since like you said, the mark is under the clasp and not as obvious.

Thanks! That's also what my hubby said too! Maybe after paying that price I become super picky (this is currently the most expensive bag in my collection), but hubby reminded me that this is hidden on the back, it maybe sloppy on Celine's end but not really a defect, tho I still joked with my SA if I could get 10% off, lol!

My hardware had a bit of grey, gummy stuff on it which I thought was a stain at first. Eventually I just scratched it off with my fingernail and the metal underneath was fine. Maybe you could try giving it a gentle polish and see if it budges?

^ I'm not sure if polishing will help on mine b/c it seems that the color/stain is on the metal but underneath the protective layer (like, if I look closely from the side it looks like there's a transparent protective layer on the very top, and the surface is perfectly smooth not bumpy or flaky, that's why my husband said that can't be rust and looks more like the paint/dye is on the metal but underneath the protective layer).