Question About Classic Box Bag Leather

Jun 4, 2006
Hi Celine experts, my SA sent me this picture of a box bag and she called that "textured leather", which she said it's not liege calf but she said it's still pretty scratch resistant. But based on her picture I think that's just the regular box leather, which to my understanding is quite easy to get scratched. So I'm wondering for non-exotic leather box bag, what types of leather are available? I always thought it's either 1) the regular box leather (which is easy to get scratched), 2) the spazzolato calf (glossy), and 3) liege calf (textured and kinda like a finer version of, say, LV Epi). This blue is so pretty but I doubt the leather is scratch resistant. Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1415768178.322827.jpg

I am not an expert on the type of the leathers available, but want to chime in about box leather, I have been using my box bag a lot, and I don't baby my bags at all and have to admit that I am too hard on my bags and besides the initial scratches that the bag had when I bought it, it hasn't scratched up any more. It's not a really hard leather/bag to use for everyday.

Thx. I have always liked the box bag, but has always been so concerned about maintenance. I was able to find a box bag in liege calf from Fall (haven't had time to do a reveal here..), really love the liege calf b/c it's quite scratch resistant. Am now considering another box in the future. Since liege calf is not released every season, I was also thinking about exotic but they are more $$$. So now my SA sent me photos of this "textured" leather and I'm not sure what it is. I have a young kid so I want something easy to be taken care of. But I'm also super picky about scratches and wears...

Your best bet might actually be trying to get the product code or leather code from the tag on the bag and then someone here might be able to identify if the code is for box leather or a different kind of leather. To me, it looks like normal box leather but I'm not 100% sure. Haven't ever heard of an SA describing something as "textured leather," since that seems like an odd description.

Your best bet might actually be trying to get the product code or leather code from the tag on the bag and then someone here might be able to identify if the code is for box leather or a different kind of leather. To me, it looks like normal box leather but I'm not 100% sure. Haven't ever heard of an SA describing something as "textured leather," since that seems like an odd description.

She actually called it box calf at the end, and confirmed that it's not spazzolato, so it sounds like just the regular box leather. But she kept saying is textured and not easy to get scratched, though I always thought regular box leather is easy to get scratched tho overtime the scratches blended in together and they will then look less obvious.

She actually called it box calf at the end, and confirmed that it's not spazzolato, so it sounds like just the regular box leather. But she kept saying is textured and not easy to get scratched, though I always thought regular box leather is easy to get scratched tho overtime the scratches blended in together and they will then look less obvious.

Yes, box calf is regular box leather. It is easy to get scratched, though you're right, the leather will patina over time and the scratches will not show as easily. I know there's a forum on here somewhere that shows someone buying a box bag for around $500 from an outlet store and the box was in baaaad shape (lots of scratches all over) but they took some tips from the Hermes forum and conditioned it so well that it genuinely looked brand new.

I freak out over scratches so I know box leather is not for me even though I know it will patina. If you are the same way, I would avoid box leather.

Yes, box calf is regular box leather. It is easy to get scratched, though you're right, the leather will patina over time and the scratches will not show as easily. I know there's a forum on here somewhere that shows someone buying a box bag for around $500 from an outlet store and the box was in baaaad shape (lots of scratches all over) but they took some tips from the Hermes forum and conditioned it so well that it genuinely looked brand new.

I freak out over scratches so I know box leather is not for me even though I know it will patina. If you are the same way, I would avoid box leather.

Yes, I am just like you, that's why I was so excited when I found out the new liege calf. While liege calf can still get scratched, but you gotta be pretty harsh to get a scratch on that textured leather (tho once it's scratched I don't think you can do much on that liege calf, but I am gentle with my bags anyways). With that said, I may still be ok with box leather since I am not harsh with my bags even when my kid is around, but I guess it's more psychological, it's just too stressful for me to carry something so delicate, esp. since with children you never know what will happen next, LOL! Anyhow, liege calf is not released every season though, so I am wondering if other calf like spazzolato is easier to be taken care of. And maybe someday I can save enough to buy an exotic version.

I'm very curious about this too. I've owned my classic box for about a month. It's definitely not liege or spazzolato calf; the leather looks just the same as the bag in your picture. But it seems REALLY resilient. I've been carrying it every day, not babying it at all (accidentally bashed it into things quite a few times), and it's completely scratch free. I've got quite long, pointed nails too, for the record!

I'd wondered if it was perhaps a slightly different leather, because I keep reading about how box calf is so easily scratched. The tag simply says "calf".