Question about Boutique shopping

Important things to check for (to the extreme):
-alignment: make sure the fleurs and other symbols match up; make sure the material is smooth where they are sewn together and not bent.
- bubbles: make sure canvas is sewn so that the bag stands well and does not have canvas that bubbles up a bit (this sort of looks like a fold) the entire piece of canvas should be uniform in terms of how much it sticks out. I hope this makes sense, its a bit hard to describe. My cousin bought my aunt a hudson and he did not check it well and her bag has this flaw. She noticed it right away but LV is 3 hours from her.
- air bubbles on MC items: you need to look closely for this.
- vachetta: not patinaed and is not dirty, scratched.
- glaze: must fully cover vachetta (I recieved a bag where the glaze didnt fully cover the leather edges and it began to split from that); pay especial attention to the ends of the tabs and where the handles connect to the bag because in those areas the vachetta need the most protection.
- bumps: for example the speedy. there is an inevitable bump by the zipper from the pocket inside (though IMO with good seamstress work that should not be there) all speedys will have this bump but it is best to choose one with the smallest bump (and yes the bump size varies). the reason for this? If you keep your bags for a few years no big deal but if you plan to keep it FOREVER like me then a smaller less steep bump is best as overtime that spot is most suceptible to cracking. Yes, i've seen it happen.
Vachetta piping: make sure it is all even both the size (thickness) of the piping and how much it sticks out from the bag. I saw one bag where the piping out stick out a great deal in one section but later on would be pushed in far so it would not stick out at all. It was a bad look.
zipper: make sure it works.

I tried to think of everything to check for. Oh, and its helpful to bring a friend. You know that friend that is a bargain shopped, super picky, has a good eye, and notices the small things... (We all have one) Bring her! =D HTH.

Wow lots to check from! Well I checked out my BH and it seems great! Granted I don't have a lot of experience to compare it too! i was suprised to see the sides are like the Speedy where it's one big sheet of canvas and one side is upside down, I didn't know that one had it on the sides (not front back).

^^melikemochi, just about mention everything thing you should be aware of on your first purchases. I agree with the rest of the ppl. It's a good idea to look at few for comparison and not just flaws. There's always one that you may prefer over the store display and the ultimate one you purchase. Like the MC most are picky over the arrangement of the colors of the *LV* and may like a certain color arrangement, but you might not be able to choose the perfect color combination since the other bag may catch your attention in its shear perfection of craftmanship. Basically it really applies to any bag you're looking to take home with you. Don't feel like you're putting the SAs out for asking to see another one if you don't like the first one. They're there to ensure you are absolutely happy with your selection. Good luck!

with my two boutique purchases i was not really picky but i did check out the vachetta (not so much the alignment). With my first purchase the mono 35 I noticed a little dirt spot on the handle and i asked to get another and the SA didn't mind. With my second purchase the Azur Pochette I looked over the vachetta strap and there was a lil dirt spot but I was desperate since it was the last one and my bf special ordered it for me so I just took it! It doen'st really bother me.

lol you're so cute!:P just say THAT! "I'd like to see another one or two bags to compare, please" (unless they only have one left.......so if the bag's "okay" just take it (well, i would), if it's really bad in shape but youre DESPERATE....then you can still get it if you want lol, otherwise just leave your name+phone # and ask them to ring you up as soon as they get new inventory)

hehe, okay thank you :smile::smile:

I'm picky and inspect too! All my MC items were hand picked from multiple items where I could get the most perfect one! DH thinks it's funny but usually the SA's don't mind. One of my fave SA's I used to have in Oahu said he thought it was fun & loved to help me pick out my dream bag!!!!

I am the same way!! :drinks: At first, I assumed that you pay so much that the items are bound to be perfect. Not true. There are many things to check for and the % of flawed ones (no matter how minor) vary from item to item. For example, the cles, there is not much to check for. The Speedy on the other hand, has A LOT to check for. I'm not even going to go into how many I asked to see before I found one that passed. :sweatdrop:

All SA are different. At LV especially, there is a wide range of customer service you can recieve. I guess management doesn't regulate it very well. Some SA are wonderful -they are happy, patient, nice enough to let you see as many as you please. Others will show you. But believe me, there are some that will give you a lot of attitude, pressure you to hurry, try to intimidate you, and basically just give you the snottiest treatment you have ever experienced if you only ask to see two of the same thing. I've experienced it first hand with my very first LV purchase and it was not a fun experience. If it were me now, I would just walk away and buy it from a much more reasonable SA. You are not obligated to buy from anyone, much less a very snotty SA that gives you a hard time for something so minor. It doesn't take much work or customer service at all to open a drawer, grab a bag, and place it on the counter.

How to ask: "I like this style. Can you bring out a few new ones for me to choose from?" If those are flawed say something along the lines of "I'm sorry, but may I ask you to bring a few more out?"

Important things to check for:
-alignment: make sure the fleurs and other symbols match up; make sure the material is smooth where they are sewn together and not bent.
- bubbles: make sure canvas is sewn so that the bag stands well and does not have canvas that bubbles up a bit (this sort of looks like a fold) the entire piece of canvas should be uniform in terms of how much it sticks out. I hope this makes sense, its a bit hard to describe. My cousin bought my aunt a hudson and he did not check it well and her bag has this flaw. She noticed it right away but LV is 3 hours from her.
- glaze: must fully cover vachetta (I recieved a bag where the glaze didnt fully cover the leather edges and it began to split from that)
- bumps: for example the speedy. there is an inevitable bump by the zipper from the pocket inside (though IMO with good seamstress work that should not be there) all speedys will have this bump but it is best to choose one with the smallest bump (and yes the bump size varies). the reason for this? If you keep your bags for a few years no big deal but if you plan to keep it FOREVER like me then a smaller less steep bump is best as overtime that spot is most suceptible to cracking. Yes, i've seen it happen.

Thanks For the info!!

last 2 months ago I pointed at the AZUR speedy 25 on the display and told the SA I will get it. I bought it w/o touching or inspecting it. I know that if I didn't rush, someone might get it.

That's the only my picky time and it didn't disappointed me. AZUR is lovely.

I feel sheepish about admitting this - but I make them work for it.

If I know I am going to buy the ManhattanGM, I go in and suggest to the SA there (I do not shop with anyone in particular) that I am looking at and considering 2 or 3 bags . . . ."could you show them to me?"

then they drag out 3 bags & I play, then they make other siggestions.
Then I buy what I want.
And voila! I have had a wondering boutique experience of my own making.

ps: do I need therapy?

Important things to check for (to the extreme):
- glaze: must fully cover vachetta (I recieved a bag where the glaze didnt fully cover the leather edges and it began to split from that); pay especial attention to the ends of the tabs and where the handles connect to the bag because in those areas the vachetta need the most protection.
Vachetta piping: make sure it is all even both the size (thickness) of the piping and how much it sticks out from the bag. I saw one bag where the piping out stick out a great deal in one section but later on would be pushed in far so it would not stick out at all. It was a bad look.
zipper: make sure it works.

I tried to think of everything to check for. Oh, and its helpful to bring a friend. You know that friend that is a bargain shopped, super picky, has a good eye, and notices the small things... (We all have one) Bring her! =D HTH.

I am printing this and keeping it - this is great stuff !