Question about birkin handle!

D3183

May 6, 2013
I am looking at a preloved birkin - do these handles look normal or is the split in the center damage/wear? Would I have to get this repaired?

thank you for any help!

birkin handle.jpg

The split is wear and tear. Worn-off glazing. I have this on my 8 year old B40 that I used a lot in the first years with heavy loads. It can be repaired/reglazed at H Spa. I guess it would be better to have it done to reduce the risk of the wear and tear accelerating further. However, I don't think it is absolutely necessary as the stitching should be able to take a lot of usage before coming apart. You could also wrap twillies around the handles as an alternative.

The split is wear and tear. Worn-off glazing. I have this on my 8 year old B40 that I used a lot in the first years with heavy loads. It can be repaired/reglazed at H Spa. I guess it would be better to have it done to reduce the risk of the wear and tear accelerating further. However, I don't think it is absolutely necessary as the stitching should be able to take a lot of usage before coming apart. You could also wrap twillies around the handles as an alternative.
Great advice!

Hello! I am bumping this thread because I just discovered today one of my birkins in clemence has handle glazing issues, similar to the photo by op. I find it surprising because it’s my newer (2010) and relatively less used birkin but the first one to ever show this kind of wear.

So my question is, for those who have had wear like this, do you immediately send it to the H spa or do you still continue to use it? If so, how long until you bring it in for repair? I don’t mind how it looks and will definitely not put any twilly on it I just worry if I don’t send it to get repaired and continue to use it, it might break/tear the leather that’s splitting. Would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you!:smile:

Hello! I am bumping this thread because I just discovered today one of my birkins in clemence has handle glazing issues, similar to the photo by op. I find it surprising because it’s my newer (2010) and relatively less used birkin but the first one to ever show this kind of wear.

So my question is, for those who have had wear like this, do you immediately send it to the H spa or do you still continue to use it? If so, how long until you bring it in for repair? I don’t mind how it looks and will definitely not put any twilly on it I just worry if I don’t send it to get repaired and continue to use it, it might break/tear the leather that’s splitting. Would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you!:smile:
You've answered your own question(s).

The glazing protects the leather, so if the glaze isn't there and the leather is not protected, wear and tear will accelerate. It's one of those things when, since it needs doing, you may as well do it sooner rather than later- as in 'a stitch in time saves nine'. Replacing handles is much costlier, and if one needs doing H may make you do both (happened to a friend).