Question about amount of dye needed

Alexenjie

O.G.
Apr 21, 2006
Today I got in the mail a Coach vintage bag that is in terrible condition color wise with darkened leather, some ink marks - the whole purse looks so old , beat up and awful that I immediately tossed it the nearest garbage can. I had found this bag very cheap on e-bay but didn't realize it was in such poor condition.

While I was driving home tonight I remembered all the great stories here of Balenciaga bags being restored through leather dye so I want to give this a try.

I found Tarrago leather dye on a web site. Is one bottle of .8 fl ounce going to be enough to cover the whole bag? The bags dimensions are approximately 12" X 10" X 3", smaller than a city bag.

The dye bottle looks pretty small, that's why I am asking before I purchase. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

silverfern

home sweet home
O.G.
Jun 11, 2008
One should be enough but it wouldn't hurt to get an extra one for touch ups/another small project. Even though it looks like a small bottle you really don't need much as the sponge absorbs a lot and you should try to apply really two or three really thin layers otherwise it can end up feeling a bit rubbery. Good luck with your project!

Alexenjie

O.G.
Apr 21, 2006
I ordered two to be safe.

I just want to thank the balenciaga women who were the pioneers in doing the dying of their bags. I never would have had the nerve to try this without hearing about their success.

Now I am so excited to get my dye that I almost can't stand to wait. I am really looking forward to this experiment.