Question about accepting PP for non-eBay transactions

GirlieShoppe

Formerly HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of starting an online business. Due to all the recent crazy changes that work against sellers, I will not be selling via eBay but will have my own web site. I want to accept payments via PP but I need to find out what protection they offer sellers who do not sell on eBay. How can I protect myself against PP claims or chargebacks? Due to the nature of the items I will be selling, I will not be able to offer returns (unless, of course, there was an error on my end). I'm afraid my no-returns policy might tempt dishonest people to file chargebacks. I'm not as worried about INR claims because I plan to send each parcel with tracking or signature confirmation.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you!!

As far as I can tell, the protections and risks associated with using Paypal are pretty much the same for both buyers and sellers whether it is an ebay transaction or a non-ebay transaction.

I don't know if Paypal is a little less inclined than ebay to decide in favour of the buyer on SNAD claims or not. Maybe. Good luck with your venture.

I don't think you can avoid charge backs. If you go with credit cards directly you face the same issue. I do know paypal is extending the return policy to 180 days. I've sold on eBay for over 8 years and always accepted paypal.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app

Congrats on setting up your own website

Selling on eBay vs being a merchant with its own accounts are two different things

You should call up PayPal and they offer different options for merchant account than your regular account that you have been using on eBay

From PayPal perspective, now you are the eBay equivalent (ie eBay is a merchant partner when you sell on eBay and your website is another merchant).

Hi everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of starting an online business. Due to all the recent crazy changes that work against sellers, I will not be selling via eBay but will have my own web site. I want to accept payments via PP but I need to find out what protection they offer sellers who do not sell on eBay. How can I protect myself against PP claims or chargebacks? Due to the nature of the items I will be selling, I will not be able to offer returns (unless, of course, there was an error on my end). I'm afraid my no-returns policy might tempt dishonest people to file chargebacks. I'm not as worried about INR claims because I plan to send each parcel with tracking or signature confirmation.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you!!
As far as I can tell, the new paypal 180 day dispute ability applies to anywhere that takes PP. So leaving ebay won't protect you from renters.

If anyone can find anything showing the contrary, please post it because I can't find it.