Quality question from a newbie

iloveelmo

O.G.
Mar 15, 2006
I have had my eye on a Black Caviar GST with SHW for awhile now and have been lurking in this forum for some time to educate myself.

My bag collection is comprised mainly of LV and Balenciagas.

i LOVE the LV's as I find them to be extremely durable and functional.

I have 5 Bal bags and 3 of the 5 have visible wear on them (mostly on the corner piping), even though I haven't used them a lot and I am not hard on my bags......the leather on those bags is yummy, but not terribly durable. As much as I love my Bals, I would not purchase another.

I REALLY want a Chanel GST, but I've read a few notes on here about the quality of newer bags. This will be the most expensive bag I have ever purchased and I like to make wise purchases as I have to save a long time for a bag.

I guess what I'm asking ladies(and gents?) is for your brutally honest opinion. I would be using the GST on a daily basis, and though I don't abuse my bags, I do expect a good quality product when I spend this kind of money.

What have your experiences been with the newer GST's?

TIA:smile:

Compared to B-bags, Chanel bags are more durable. I also have B-bags and my main complain are the handles. I don't think you will regret buying a GST or any other Chanel style. Though, if you are looking for price/durability, LVs are probably great choices.

Hi!
I have my Caviar GST for more than 5 yrs already and I use it and so does my mom.
It doesnt show any kind of wear, still looks brand new.
So its a great investment.

Go for the GST! Just check closely whichever bag you purchase. Different batches yield different results- which are moreso the complaints. I think that you will be fine.

Just like LV and other brands, the older material is not as good as the newer material. It is across the board. I have a Chanel medallion tote from years ago and a more recent PST. You can tell the difference in the caviar...but both are stunning and durable.

I bought a chanel gst ghw about six month ago. I wear it quite often and it is very durable. I put it on the floor, throw it to the backseat, still look as new. One of my go to bag along with LV totally. Not as comfy as totally but it is more elegant.

Hmm. I wonder the same thing myself. For example, do you get a new beige caviar or get a preowned knowing you save some money and perhaps get better quality but its used? Hmmm.

The best thing you can do, is take care of it after you bring it home. Watch for:

- leather rubbing off on corners and edges
- bottom sagging from overfilling/excessive weight
- stratching from accidental bumping/scraping
- chain links separating (this is rare, but it's been reported here on TPF)

There's a tip thread for keeping your Chanels "as good as new" for as long as possible. (Tips for stuffing/base reinforcement/etc.)

You might find pics of used GSTs by searching for them online, just to see a range of "like new" bags to "abused" bags.

The biggest difference between older & newer GSTs is the texture and appearance of the caviar leather. I prefer the older, but many people like the newer.

Good luck!

As popular as the GST is, I highly doubt you'd find anything with much age to it. Old caviar, virtually an impossibility. But do keep in mind the GST is a highly structured bag, so it will wear better than most other bags (I'm thinking anyway); ask me in a year. :smile: