Quality control?

G.Allyn

O.G.
Dec 12, 2013
When I get a great deal, say 60% or 70% off, I don't care as much if my new D&B item has a flaw. If I open a package and the full price item is not what I would consider buying from a brick and mortar store, then I am disappointed.

Is the quality control going down? I know many of the items are now made in China. Is the quality control not what it once was when the bags were made in the U.S.?

This is the picture of my wallet which came today. If you look at where the snap is on the front, move your eye over to the right and you should be able to see what I consider a flaw. The leather has a strange light spot.

I will probably keep it, but it is the second item I ordered this last month which wasn't very nice in terms of quality. I am becoming less enthusiastic about ordering when this happens. I may start to order at bargain basement prices and be happy with whatever styles and colors are available. Only problem is, this puts a real crimp in my collecting.

It just had to be on the front.

Attachments

• DSCN0984.JPG
    DSCN0984.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCN0985.JPG
    DSCN0985.JPG
    343.7 KB · Views: 194
If it helps at all... I would have never noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. BUT you can see it, and that's what matters. And at full price, my expectations are that I'd be 100% satisfied...

Don't blame you. I really wonder what is going on with Dooney? I ordered a large Camilla satchel about a month ago and was so looking forward to it. It arrived, but certainly not packaged the way I expected. It was in a sealed plastic bag, then that was placed inside the blue storage bag. The information about the bag was taped to the blue storage bag with layers of scotch tape. Huh....there was nothing wrapped inside the bag, not hardware, handles, nothing. I was really shocked. I thought this is more like QVC "as is" or I got someone's return. I went over the bag thoroughly and it was fine, which was a surprise. I have never received a Dooney packaged like that. They have ALWAYS been wrapped, handles, hardware, everything to the hilt, stuffed, storage bag inside and wrapped and sealed in the plastic bag. I just felt is this what customers expect that spend that much on a bag. Believe me the thought went through my mind to just box it up and sent it back, requesting one that was packaged the way it should be for a "new"
bag. I didn't because who knows what I might have been sent in its place. Getting ready to order for a trade in, and have wondered how that will be packaged. Peter better get on his game.

I would not accept that wallet for full price. Do you have any leather conditioner? I might try just a dab on that spot to see if I could blend it in. But I would more likely just send it back.

ETA--other than the small spot, the wallet is absolutely gorgeous.

Don't blame you. I really wonder what is going on with Dooney? I ordered a large Camilla satchel about a month ago and was so looking forward to it. It arrived, but certainly not packaged the way I expected. It was in a sealed plastic bag, then that was placed inside the blue storage bag. The information about the bag was taped to the blue storage bag with layers of scotch tape. Huh....there was nothing wrapped inside the bag, not hardware, handles, nothing. I was really shocked. I thought this is more like QVC "as is" or I got someone's return. I went over the bag thoroughly and it was fine, which was a surprise. I have never received a Dooney packaged like that. They have ALWAYS been wrapped, handles, hardware, everything to the hilt, stuffed, storage bag inside and wrapped and sealed in the plastic bag. I just felt is this what customers expect that spend that much on a bag. Believe me the thought went through my mind to just box it up and sent it back, requesting one that was packaged the way it should be for a "new"
bag. I didn't because who knows what I might have been sent in its place. Getting ready to order for a trade in, and have wondered how that will be packaged. Peter better get on his game.

Pix--for some reason, that is the way all the Italian lines come from Dooney. (Alto, Montecatini, etc.) I remember being shocked to receive my pricey purse without any wrapping on the hardware or handles AT ALL. Of course the bags were perfect, but still...weird.

Pix--for some reason, that is the way all the Italian lines come from Dooney. (Alto, Montecatini, etc.) I remember being shocked to receive my pricey purse without any wrapping on the hardware or handles AT ALL. Of course the bags were perfect, but still...weird.

Sarah,
Thank you for educating me that this is "Dooney's Standard of Wrapping" for the Italian lines.
You're right, it is weird. You would think they would have these babies bundled up like newborns in the dead of winter. Now at least I know what to expect. Thanks:smile:

Sarah,
Thank you for educating me that this is "Dooney's Standard of Wrapping" for the Italian lines.
You're right, it is weird. You would think they would have these babies bundled up like newborns in the dead of winter. Now at least I know what to expect. Thanks:smile:

I agree. I was stunned when I got my first Alto...I even called Dooney to ask if they had sent me a customer return. :lol: It's so weird the way they tape the info to the outside of the dustbag. :weird:

G. Allyn,
It is a beautiful wallet, but for that price I would have to call Donney CS and say "this one is coming back and tell them why. Hopefully if you do decide to send it back, hopefully they will reimburse your shipping.

Thanks to all who offered an opinion. I think I will call customer service and see if they will cover the shipping.

Hand over heart, I am going to post photos of items with flaws in the future to show all of you what I am getting from D&B. I just don't get it. I have probably purchased @ 36 items, or more from D&B over the last 12 years. This summer is the first time I have sent items back for quality control issues.

Another thing which some of you have mentioned, is the lack of packaging for shipment. I received a wallet in a plastic mailer bag about a month ago. One of my handbags from the Alto line came without a registration card. CS claimed none of the bags ordered from the outlet have registration cards. Yet, I have ordered recently from the outlet and the bag had one tucked in the pocket. Huh?

As for the Alto line. My Viola bag and medium Giovanna? satchel came in a box, but no plastic anywhere in site.

Something is going on with this company and we (the customers) are noticing the negative changes over at D&B. Funny, the products are going up in price (i.e. Sellaio line with bags upwards of $695.00), but this is what is passing quality control and how it is being shipped to the customers. I love the Sellaio line, but at this kind of pricing and with what has been happening of late, I think I will have to show enormous restraint and wait for the line to hit the outlets at 50% off.

Spoke with customer service today and this info may help or explain some things. CS # is 1-800-347-5000 and their fax # is 1-800-326-1496.

If you receive a defective item they will send you a shipping label. If you have mailed something back and kept the receipt, fax the receipt and they will mail you a check for $13.00.

I mentioned how someone on PF received an Alto handbag in a mailer. She was very nice, but said only accessories are supposed to be mailed in a plastic mailer. I told her some of the wallets are close to $300.00 and I don't like how the white box can get crushed. They have insurance and will send you a new box if this happens.

I am tired of complaining and there are probably those of you who are tired of hearing me. So I decided, I will send back all items which come to me with bad stitching, wonky pockets and smashed boxes. No reason to complain. Back they go. If enough of us refuse to accept items which are no longer the old Dooney quality, then maybe the company will increase their quality control over in China.

I was told the products come from the U.S., but assembly takes place in China (except Alto line).

If enough of us send back or complain, maybe the company will do something about the poor quality. We can only hope.

Don't think others are tired of hearing you. You had a legitimate complaint, and as a Dooney customer you have the right to certainly be heard and most of all to have your questions answered anda solution or solutions be offered. You are the customer, and have expectations that you will receive first quality merchandise. I am glad thery at least offered some explanations. As you read, I was less than pleased the way they sent my Alto bag, and so was Sarah the first she ordered one, but this is how they deal with shipping their Italian lines. Thank you for sharing this with us and my hope is that your future Dooney purchases will be everything they should be and will bring you good service and fun in using them.

Spoke with customer service today and this info may help or explain some things. CS # is 1-800-347-5000 and their fax # is 1-800-326-1496.

If you receive a defective item they will send you a shipping label. If you have mailed something back and kept the receipt, fax the receipt and they will mail you a check for $13.00.

I mentioned how someone on PF received an Alto handbag in a mailer. She was very nice, but said only accessories are supposed to be mailed in a plastic mailer. I told her some of the wallets are close to $300.00 and I don't like how the white box can get crushed. They have insurance and will send you a new box if this happens.

I am tired of complaining and there are probably those of you who are tired of hearing me. So I decided, I will send back all items which come to me with bad stitching, wonky pockets and smashed boxes. No reason to complain. Back they go. If enough of us refuse to accept items which are no longer the old Dooney quality, then maybe the company will increase their quality control over in China.

I was told the products come from the U.S., but assembly takes place in China (except Alto line).

If enough of us send back or complain, maybe the company will do something about the poor quality. We can only hope.

Thanks for the information G. You deserve to be happy with your pieces and it's nice they will at least pay for your shipping back. :smile:

I agree. Send it back if its not satisfying. We shouldnt have to settle if its an item at full price. So far I really havent gotten anything from the warehouse or the outlets that was flawed. Hopefully it stays that way.