Q re: Strass / DIY – are they "fake"?

satine112

O.G.
Apr 26, 2006
Ok,

I want to have an honest discussion here. I am not trying to start drama, i just want honest opinions.

There is a lot of discussion re: fakes or non-CL shoes with red soles, etc etc.

Now there is a trend (which i am going to hop on board and copy) of DIY strassing CLs.

Do you consider this "fake"? Sure, it is real louboutin shoes, but they aren't his real strassed shoes, you've DIY, so in essence...they are kind of "fakes".

how do you feel about this? where do we draw the line?

--------------------

If the crystals didn't add up to be hundreds of dollars, i'd do it to cheaper shoes, and save my CLs as i'd like to keep them how CL intended. But, since the stones do add up to a few hundred, i don't want to waste them on cheapo shoes, so i will find a cheap pair on ebay to try this.

-----------------------

ok, i hope you understand my post, and i hope we can have a discussion on this. i am truly curious on everyone's thoughts :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are girls who already did this and the shoes looked amazing . So that has nothing to do whit fake cl shoes .I would go for it !!!!!There is no way i can afford cl shoes whit crystals on it so if i really wanted those i would try it myself whit a cheap ebay find .good luck!!

Last edited:
OP, altering a shoe doesn't make it a counterfeit Louboutin. This is similar to saying that because I shortened the staps on my Herve Leger, that it's not the true dress as intended by Herve Leger anymore.

i see what you are saying. and i hope you can see where i want this discussion to go. i'm not attacking anyone, and i hope you can all do the same. and, in my post, i said that i too will be strassing a pair. so i don't have issue.

i just wanted to know if you consider it a "fake" strass. since CL sells strass shoes, but we are taking non-strass and doing it ourselves. to make it look like his strass shoes, u see what i'm saying???

i can't wait to do mine, and i want to do a really unique color too that hopefully nobody has! lol

I have three, soon to be four pairs of Louboutin strass shoes and I have also asked a professional rhinestoner to put crystals on one pair of Loubies to look like Blake Lively's at the Marchesa show last year. The shoe was not released for sale to the public(it was a press shoe), so I took matters into my own hands, bought the Clic Clacs which the strass shoe was based off of, and paid someone to strass them for me.

I feel the only reason why the word "fake" would ever come into the discussion with DIY strass is if someone tried to sell their DIY claiming that it was Monsieur Louboutin's company that had strassed the shoe.

I don't feel that other people's DIYs are "fake" in any way. They're genuine CLs with modifications.

Last edited:
I don't think it's considered "fake strass" . If you want to alter your authentic CLs go for it. You spent the money on them so why not make them perfect if you're not happy with them or want a different look of CLs. Make them worth the money. Now what I don't think would be right is if someone strassed a pair of CLs and sold them without letting the buyer know that they strassed it themsevles. I'm not sure that would ever happen since strassing takes several hours. I would sure want to enjoy them if I spent that much time on them.

OP, I am bit offended with your post. For you to even suggest or contemplate that altering a pair of authentic CL shoes is somewhat considered to be misleading or misrepresenting is absolutely ludicrous.

^^^ I don't think it is. She's just putting a point of view out there, not a judgment.

I know there are purists out there who would not want to strass a shoe themselves for the very reason that they would not be "real CL strass." I'm okay with it, personally. I would never try to pass my DIY off as a "CL strass," since it's a "CL I strassed." I like to see it as a collaboration that Christian and I made together! ;)

I think Panda said it best here. I would not consider it a fake at all, but if you tried to re-sell a DIY strass as Louboutin-strassed that would be dishonest.

I feel the only reason why the word "fake" would ever come into the discussion with DIY strass is if someone tried to sell their DIY claiming that it was Monsieur Louboutin's company that had strassed the shoe.
You said it right there, that's exactly how I feel. As long as I'm not selling DIY Strass as CL Strass, I don't see any problems altering CLs whichever way I like. :tup:

^^^ I don't think it is. She's just putting a point of view out there, not a judgment.

I like to see it as a collaboration that Christian and I made together! ;)
I like your idea of thinking it as a collaboration with Christian. :biggrin: