Q re: Strass / DIY – are they "fake"?

I have altered clothing to my taste, and I considered them to be customized.
Same thing is with shoes. So, I wouldn't use the word "fake", not even in a hypothetical case, is a little harsh. Specially in this forum, that the word FAKE is never welcome.
But, yes I understand your post and your question.

Last edited:
i'm glad some of you are understanding what this discussion was meant to be. Unfortunately, some of you have misinterpreted it, and are now offended, which is exactly what i said to not be.

lighten up, it's just shoes. it's also just a question. i was trying to have a nice debate. with NO attacking.

Although, I have not done any strassing myself I do not consider them to be fake. As most have said, lots of people alter clothing.

I think the word fake is always associated with the ugly pairs we see on eBay and everywhere on the Internet. I personally think the word should not be used to describe all of the beautiful shoes these creative and very talented ladies have customized on here.

Now if someone tried to create a pair of CLs them selves from scratch, then yes that would be fake.

I am not attacking you, I am just stating my opinion on the issue.

Strassing a CL IMO is like giving it a new life for a fraction of the cost. I know being a senior in college I can't afford a $4,000 shoe. I'm all for DIY, and tailoring your CL's to be exactly what you want them to be :biggrin:

I totally see your point of view OP. I think everyone is taking the word fake and running with it in the wrong direction. I believe that you meant that one is taking a pair of genuine CL, and changing it in to a non-genuine strass. Fake was perhaps the wrong word to choose for this discussion.

I am not into the strass, but if I were, I would prefer to have them done by the man himself.

I totally see your point of view OP. I think everyone is taking the word fake and running with it in the wrong direction. I believe that you meant that one is taking a pair of genuine CL, and changing it in to a non-genuine strass. Fake was perhaps the wrong word to choose for this discussion.

I am not into the strass, but if I were, I would prefer to have them done by the man himself.

agreed!

i definitely think it is an interesting and valid choice (and i agree with noah, i don't think you meant fake fake...in the very negative way it portrayed in this forum [and understandably with so many people paying for fake shoes])

i don't know that i would ever strass a pair of shoes myself (for a million reasons...shaky hands, impatience, etc!)...although i think it's a really cool idea. i think if 'the man' knew himself i like to think he would be flattered since he inspired this in us.

i also really like some of the strass-ing done by some of our members, like jet. she strassed the heel of her som1's and brought a very worn pair to a whole new life, and that's really cool!! bella got to create her UHG (as did lolita) and there's something wonderful about taking charge and bringing your dream into a reality! and roussel is strassing her shoes, it felt like she chose the colour volcano crystals before i even knew CL was planning on it! i think it's a lovely creative outlet and an interesting way to make your shoes new again

i don't know if that made any sense but i think it's an interesting subject!

It's like taking a sports car and customizing it (with hydraulics, tinted windows, etc.); it doesn't make it "fake", just altered. As long as you are not having others believe it's the "real" (CL strass) thing.

But who knows, maybe people who own "real" strass may see owning a pair as a status symbol: many people can't afford CL strass, much less cheaper Cls, period. So it may mean something when you can actually get your hands on a "real" CL strass. Idk, I don't mean to start a fight; I was being the devil's advocate and say what I think the other side would argue.

I, personally, think if you can put the time and effort into strassing your shoes, then go for it! They look great!

i don't know that i would ever strass a pair of shoes myself (for a million reasons...shaky hands, impatience, etc!)...although i think it's a really cool idea. i think if 'the man' knew himself i like to think he would be flattered since he inspired this in us.

That is so me. I could never DIY on a pair of CL's because I am so impatient and my hands shake whenever I try to make them not shake, and I would end up making it look like a macaroni craft project. I envy the girls that can do it..

satine112, i think this is a very interesting topic indeed... i'm not offended by it...

what i would like to know is, what do you think the man, Msr. Louboutin, himself would think about DIY strass? would he take it as a compliment, or would he feel slighted?

would the people who have done the DIY jobs (spectacular by the way ladies!) ever bring their shoes, to say, a signing, and have Msr. L sign it as a "special" pair... or not? if so, why or why not?

C i was just thinking about that yesterday, people bringing their DIY strass to CL for him to sign, what his reaction might be. i think that it should be signed by the DIY-er and CL!