Q on cleaning cashmere scarves

rugratsfc

Bag and shoe addict
Dec 1, 2016
Has anyone ever hand washed their cashmere scarves instead of getting it dry cleaned? I don't know of any good dry cleaners in our area. I can live with getting cheaper coats or clothes getting damaged in dry cleaners - but I've been holding off on getting my burberry cashmer scarf and two other burberry trench coats dry cleaned.

I have washed my Burberry cashmere scarfs in my washing machine, wool programme.
I always machine wash my cashmere pieces and never had any issues. I have heard so often that the wool programme is much more gentle than hand washing.
As for the trench I hear you..mine needs cleaning as well and I am afraid of having it dry cleaned.

Reactions: rugratsfc
I have washed my Burberry cashmere scarfs in my washing machine, wool programme.
I always machine wash my cashmere pieces and never had any issues. I have heard so often that the wool programme is much more gentle than hand washing.
As for the trench I hear you..mine needs cleaning as well and I am afraid of having it dry cleaned.

Thanks for the information. The reason I was worried about hand washing my cashmere scarf was because my partner machine washed (but probably on a normal cycle) a wool scarf of mine (not Burberry), and it came out crinkled and just plain bad looking after. Even after I've tried hand washing it to try and see if I can bring it back to what it used to be, it just never recovered.

I saw a thread about cleaning burberry coats by soap washing a portion of it - I may try that! :smile:

Thanks for the information. The reason I was worried about hand washing my cashmere scarf was because my partner machine washed (but probably on a normal cycle) a wool scarf of mine (not Burberry), and it came out crinkled and just plain bad looking after. Even after I've tried hand washing it to try and see if I can bring it back to what it used to be, it just never recovered.

I saw a thread about cleaning burberry coats by soap washing a portion of it - I may try that! :smile:

Too hot a temp and too fast a spin (after the rinse) are usually why wool and cashmere get matted.

Hand-washing is fine but use tepid water. Use a mild, purpose made liquid soap and rinse twice through, last time with cold. Squeeze excess water out gently and roll in a clean non-coloured towel. Dry flat outside.

I've washed cashmere jumpers in the machine on 'wool and silk' and they've come out fine (never use a dryer, dry flat, outside) but I hand-wash my Hermes cashmere shawls, roll in towel to get most of the water out and hang up outside.

Don't forget dirt can destroy material eventually, it can also attract unwanted insects so it's best to clean things regularly.

Too hot a temp and too fast a spin (after the rinse) are usually why wool and cashmere get matted.

Hand-washing is fine but use tepid water. Use a mild, purpose made liquid soap and rinse twice through, last time with cold. Squeeze excess water out gently and roll in a clean non-coloured towel. Dry flat outside.

I've washed cashmere jumpers in the machine on 'wool and silk' and they've come out fine (never use a dryer, dry flat, outside) but I hand-wash my Hermes cashmere shawls, roll in towel to get most of the water out and hang up outside.

Don't forget dirt can destroy material eventually, it can also attract unwanted insects so it's best to clean things regularly.
Thank you! I've been trying out the wool function on our machine with other wool/cashmere sweaters, and they've turned out ok. I'll try them on the burberry scarves next.

Reactions: papertiger