Q for Canadians re: Duty

pinklolly

May 27, 2010
Toronto
For those who have ordered from the LV website before~ I know HST (tax) & a handling fee by Canada Post is charged. However I'm confused about duty. I know NAFTA excludes duty on US made merchandise, BUT what about items made in France? Is there an extra fee due to being a luxury item?

I'm planning on ordering either a speedy or NF for my niece & was curious as to how insane the duty would be. I'm calling Canada Border Services tomorrow, but was wondering if any fellow Canadians have done this before & if being made in France meant hefty duty.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

******* revised since LV only ships to a US address: my grandma can ship it to me, declaring full value of course.

Last edited:

shum18

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Can you order from the LV website? Last time I've checked they do not ship to Canada only to the U.S.

pinklolly

May 27, 2010
Toronto
Oh well darn I should have checked- ok revise... Say I ordered & shipped to my grandma in MA for her to mail here.

My bad for assuming :confused1:

shum18

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Can you not order from the Louis Vuitton stores in Canada? Or even Holt Renfrew that carries L.V.

pinklolly

May 27, 2010
Toronto
Oh good idea. I'm sorry I've only ever purchased my items in store. I didn't realize the actual store could order on your behalf. Much appreciated for letting me know :smile:

When I've read people say they ordered, I assumed they meant via the site. Duh, makes sense lol.

Thanks again & appologies for my ignorance lol

pinklolly

May 27, 2010
Toronto
That's awesome, glad to know I have an option now. I'm in Toronto. Sorry you don't have an LV store.. I love Ottawa

In*LVoe*

Apr 6, 2010
www.modishonline.net
If you did have someone ship it to you from the States, you would only pay taxes on the retail value. There wouldn't be any extra luxury taxes or anything. But I'd recommend calling your boutique and asking them to find the bag you're looking for anywhere in Canada, and then call that boutique and have them do a charge send to you. That way you won't have to pay double taxes for two different places. Hope that helps!