Python skin Birkin

GLP

Apr 5, 2020
Hi I have the opportunity to buy a black 35 birkin. The bag is made from python skin and is dated 2012. I can only find 1 in black python on Lyst, Vestiaire. and this is no longer available. Is this a known skin for Hermes or should I avoid.

There's another thread on this somewhere but basically apart from natural Python used on very early Sac Mallette (I'm talking 1940s) python (so far as I'm aware) has only been used for window display bags.

Reactions: StaceyLyn
I’m curious about this myself. Any story behind? Why h not use python skin?

Could be too difficult to refurbish or it could be difficult to guarantee consistency of sources.

I have quite a few python bags (form other Houses) with no problems and vintage going back almost 100 years so it can be durable. Obviously the 1940s SM has done well but it doesn't stay perfect (if perfect's one's thing).

Although listed as an SM, thisHermes sold through Art Curiel 2008 example looks even earlier, perhaps 20s(?) and has vanity case elements including two flasks and mirror rather than the jewellery/bag combo of the later styles.

But anyway, no commercial Bs.

Attachments

• 1368_10229530_0.jpg
    1368_10229530_0.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 339
Could be too difficult to refurbish or it could be difficult to guarantee consistency of sources.

I have quite a few python bags (form other Houses) with no problems and vintage going back almost 100 years so it can be durable. Obviously the 1940s SM has done well but it doesn't stay perfect (if perfect's one's thing).

Although listed as an SM, this Art Curiel example looks even earlier, perhaps 20s(?) and has vanity case elements including two flasks and mirror rather than the jewellery/bag combo of the later styles.

thanks

Reactions: papertiger

Although listed as an SM, this Art Curiel example looks even earlier, perhaps 20s(?) and has vanity case elements including two flasks and mirror rather than the jewellery/bag combo of the later styles.

thanks papertiger for the information!

Although listed as an SM, thisHermes sold through Art Curiel 2008 example looks even earlier, perhaps 20s(?) and has vanity case elements including two flasks and mirror rather than the jewellery/bag combo of the later styles.

I am curious about the sizes of your python bags. I have two large python bags, one from Gucci and the other from BV. The bags are 15-17 years old. The Gucci has aged so-so. The BV still looks showroom new but I've yet to take it out of the box. LOL, talk about "impulse buy"...well over a decade since I bought it and I still have not used it! Anyway, python on larger bags, like mine, gives a vibe of fragility. The scales on the Gucci bag are HUGE and they have minds of their own. I attribute that to poor construction/craftsmanship as Gucci has been on a downward trajectory for years. The BV seems more solidly constructed but I wonder if it will degrade and wear poorly like my Gucci bag did. I have no doubt Hermes could make python work well and the only reason they don't use that skin is simple logistics. They would need large snakes to get enough of the belly skin to make a bag. Of course, I'd be thrilled if Hermes sent hunters into the Everglades to clean out the pythons wreaking havoc on the ecosystem but that's another discussion for another day. :lol:

I am curious about the sizes of your python bags. I have two large python bags, one from Gucci and the other from BV. The bags are 15-17 years old. The Gucci has aged so-so. The BV still looks showroom new but I've yet to take it out of the box. LOL, talk about "impulse buy"...well over a decade since I bought it and I still have not used it! Anyway, python on larger bags, like mine, gives a vibe of fragility. The scales on the Gucci bag are HUGE and they have minds of their own. I attribute that to poor construction/craftsmanship as Gucci has been on a downward trajectory for years. The BV seems more solidly constructed but I wonder if it will degrade and wear poorly like my Gucci bag did. I have no doubt Hermes could make python work well and the only reason they don't use that skin is simple logistics. They would need large snakes to get enough of the belly skin to make a bag. Of course, I'd be thrilled if Hermes sent hunters into the Everglades to clean out the pythons wreaking havoc on the ecosystem but that's another discussion for another day. :lol:

All my Gucci and BV pythons have been impeccably made and have all proved relatively durable including a 40 'Bolide' shape Gucci Catherine. Not all python is treated the same way often on purpose, if the designer is going for a counter-culture, naturalistic or goth -vibe thing, leaving the scales long, the bag obviously will have a more natural look and the edges will curl after a while the shaved skins (as the Hermes Sac Mallette shows above) will fair better. Hobos are generally going to show more wear whatever and it also matters a lot of what the bag is lined in too. Usually nothing to do with the craftsmanship (BTW, Gucci only allow master-craftspeople to work with exotics). Hermes could do very structured bags from python for many years wear but python can't easily be refurbished and the projected price point possibly doesn't make it worthy to try unlike ostrich/liz/croc.

All my Gucci and BV pythons have been impeccably made and have all proved relatively durable including a 40 'Bolide' shape Gucci Catherine. Not all python is treated the same way often on purpose, if the designer is going for a counter-culture, naturalistic or goth -vibe thing, leaving the scales long, the bag obviously will have a more natural look and the edges will curl after a while the shaved skins (as the Hermes Sac Mallette shows above) will fair better. Hobos are generally going to show more wear whatever and it also matters a lot of what the bag is lined in too. Usually nothing to do with the craftsmanship (BTW, Gucci only allow master-craftspeople to work with exotics). Hermes could do very structured bags from python for many years wear but python can't easily be refurbished and the projected price point possibly doesn't make it worthy to try unlike ostrich/liz/croc.
Thanks for the info! It makes sense different styles could use different techniques to yield unique looks. I just wish I had your experience with Gucci. The Gucci’s my Mom bought many moons ago and the ones I bought from the SF Boutique throughout the 1990’s all still look great. All but two bags I bought from Gucci from 2000-ish on...I’ve given away with apologies for their “beat up” appearances. I finally stopped buying Gucci all together around 2006-2007. Works well since I found my bliss with Hermes. And Moynat. And BV. And sometimes Loewe.