PVC?!?!? Say it ain't so, RM!

Loquita

May 16, 2008
After a loooooooooong wait (I don't want to go into it right now, but suffice it to say it was not a positive experience) for my neon pink Cory case, I finally received it from RM.com. I have since sold it on ecrater, but as I was packaging it for shipping I noticed an extra tag on it with some directions on the "care of PVC."

PVC? :wtf:? Did anyone else know that the neon items were made of PVC? I guess this explains the slightly lower price tag for the neon Cory cases ($38 vs. $45 for the genuine leather ones) but I am still a bit disappointed. While in the blurbs for the neon items no where does it claim that they are leather, at the same time no where does it say (at least to my knowledge, and please correct me if I am wrong) that they are PVC.

I know that it may bother some of you more than others (and some not at all) but as a leather lover I just thought it fairest to let others know, esp. if you are expecting a neon MAC or computer sleeve made of patent leather.

Wow. Thanks for posting this up Lo, I had NO idea the Neon Cories were PVC. But I guess that sort of explains why they were so shiny!

You usually can feel it if it's PVC, LV Mono is PVC and it's very obvious that it is. Could you tell the difference when you touched it? Or was it not as obvious?

You know, xlana I actually thought that the Cory felt more "plasticky" than the LV mono does...but have you ever noticed how the LV's referred to as "coated canvas?" (sounds bit more poetic, lol). I could def. tell the difference b/n this Cory case and the other Cory cases that I own/have owned, such as the peacock (reg. leather) and the purple patent. The peacock and purple patent feel much better, IMO.

Not that the neon stuff isn't super cute...I just have an aversion to PVC, except in very small doses (like on the Black Cat MAB trim, for ex).

Coated canvas? That's sort of vague haha.

I understand why you would be weary of PVC. I don't think it's as durable as regular leather. Although, LV's Mono is interesting because it is VERY durable so maybe there are different grades of PVC as well.

I'm thinking about getting a Cory someday. But I don't like any of the colors right now, and I don't know what I would use it for. What do you use it for?

I'm surprised that anyone thought that these plastic looking BRIGHT NEON pouches were made of leather. No offense to anyone here but I just assumed it was a given that they were not real leather..:shrugs:

Can't y'all tell by looking at them?

Coated canvas? That's sort of vague haha.

I understand why you would be weary of PVC. I don't think it's as durable as regular leather. Although, LV's Mono is interesting because it is VERY durable so maybe there are different grades of PVC as well.

I'm thinking about getting a Cory someday. But I don't like any of the colors right now, and I don't know what I would use it for. What do you use it for?

I use it for my business cards, but the newer ones (I got one of the first ones that came out late Sept). come with a very cute key ring attached on a chain to the inside, so you can also use it as a key ring, coin pouch, makeup bag...I would def. recommend one (but in leather)!

tresjolie: no worries! PVC is short for polyvinyl chloride or just good old plain vinyl.

I'm surprised that anyone thought that these plastic looking BRIGHT NEON pouches were made of leather. No offense to anyone here but I just assumed it was a given that they were not real leather..:shrugs:

Well, they do look like they could be, but frankly when it says 'patent leather' you expect that it will be what it says.

All the Fluorescent bags on shopbop say patent leather. So, is the trim on black cat fake too? Plastic is bad enough, but PVC is known to have a lot of toxins. I think this is really sad.

^^ I haven't looked at them online anywhere so I wasn't aware they any website claimed they were patent leather..

I just assumed from the start that they were not real leather due to A) their look and B) their price.

I think it is not cool that that they were claimed to be patent.

But then what about the new
fluorescent yellow MAC that is on RM.com right now? Hehe.

Nope. Call me a dummy, but no...but I think that my vision of the bags was "colored" by the fact that RM has done such wonderful leathers, including killer patent leathers so far...so I wrongly assumed that these were leather, too.

Like Rachel, I am not into the chemicals aspect, either.

But then what about the new
fluorescent yellow MAC that is on RM.com right now? Hehe.

Good question. Let me see what it says...

Okay. The neon color MAC on RM.com says nothing about being patent leather OR PVC, whereas the black one says it is "smooth patent leather." But they cost the same.

I don't know about the Neon MACs:wtf:

But if they are made out of PVC and places are claiming them to be leather then that is messed up! I just noticed from day one that the neon bags look way different than most of the patent bags RM has done. It looks like plastic and has no characteristics of leather. Not my cup of tea.