Purse Thoughts/Opinions

I've sold bags from Chanel, Ferragamo, LV, Leiber, Prada, Fendi, BV, Coach, D&B and others. I've owned bags from Le Sport Sak, The Sak, Franco Sarto, Vera Bradley, L.L. Bean, Fossil, Stone Mountain, Coach, D&B, Brahmin, Charlie Lapson, Bally, LV and others. Based on all that, my opinion would be:

It depends.

For pure value and longevity, you can't beat L.L. Bean's canvas bags, and you can go online and design the colors and such yourself. I've had a small Le Sport Sak hold up through the years, it's U.S. made just like the L.L. Bean, and I've gotten a ton of compliments on a bag that cost me all of $34. Another U.S. brand that I've always heard good things about is Vera Bradley. They're fabric bags as well, and the choices are endless in style, size and fabric.

For longevity and value of the luxury variety, LV will last and last and last and last. My Brahmin wallet showed signs of use early on, but my LV looks new 15 years after I bought it. When I sold the line, women would frantically call in to see if their 20-year-old Speedy was back from the repair shop. :lol: It's a tried-and-true brand, and it says something that much of their inventory has been around for ages. I adore the line obviously, but I don't know how much of it I'll buy in the future because it's expensive and getting even more so.

Hermes, Chanel and Gucci all produce exquisite items, but I also think you not only pay for it, you get SOAKED for it (I have Hermes keyrings, and a card case). You're paying a huge amount for the marketing, the marble floors, the name and so many other things. I'm not at all likely to buy a Chanel because of the customer who came into the store, and it was to complain about her one-day-old bag bleeding on her skirt. I'm also not wild about lambskin because it's so delicate and scratches easily. Gucci priced themselves out of my consideration long ago. Hermes? I drool over the wallets, but I know they'll cost four times what my LV did and last 1/4 as long before it starts looking quite ragged.

Overall, I think if you can get a quality bag at a sale price, you're ahead of the game. Even better are the bags in the $100-300 range, and if you have a lot of retailers around, then a ton will go on sale regularly. You can also find amazing deals online if you routinely check in to see what's been discounted recently.

No quality bag will be a good value though if you don't use it. They don't serve much of a purpose hanging around in a dust bag in your closet. :lol:

Kellybag said:
When it comes to purses I was wondering what everyone thought, so I wanted to put up a thread and ask....

"What bag/style/designer puts out the nicest quality for the money you spend?" Share some feedback as to why you feel that way.

jasanna143 said:
This might sound trite but honestly I feel LV makes quality products for the money you spend or at least in my personal experience. Yea, you spend a lot of a bag but some people have their bags for over 20 yrs!

I'm not a fan of LV myself, but I have heard they're very durable from multiple people.

Ammietwist said:
I've sold bags from Chanel, Ferragamo, LV, Leiber, Prada, Fendi, BV, Coach, D&B and others. I've owned bags from Le Sport Sak, The Sak, Franco Sarto, Vera Bradley, L.L. Bean, Fossil, Stone Mountain, Coach, D&B, Brahmin, Charlie Lapson, Bally, LV and others. Based on all that, my opinion would be:

It depends.

For pure value and longevity, you can't beat L.L. Bean's canvas bags, and you can go online and design the colors and such yourself. I've had a small Le Sport Sak hold up through the years, it's U.S. made just like the L.L. Bean, and I've gotten a ton of compliments on a bag that cost me all of $34. Another U.S. brand that I've always heard good things about is Vera Bradley. They're fabric bags as well, and the choices are endless in style, size and fabric.

For longevity and value of the luxury variety, LV will last and last and last and last. My Brahmin wallet showed signs of use early on, but my LV looks new 15 years after I bought it. When I sold the line, women would frantically call in to see if their 20-year-old Speedy was back from the repair shop. :lol: It's a tried-and-true brand, and it says something that much of their inventory has been around for ages. I adore the line obviously, but I don't know how much of it I'll buy in the future because it's expensive and getting even more so.

Hermes, Chanel and Gucci all produce exquisite items, but I also think you not only pay for it, you get SOAKED for it (I have Hermes keyrings, and a card case). You're paying a huge amount for the marketing, the marble floors, the name and so many other things. I'm not at all likely to buy a Chanel because of the customer who came into the store, and it was to complain about her one-day-old bag bleeding on her skirt. I'm also not wild about lambskin because it's so delicate and scratches easily. Gucci priced themselves out of my consideration long ago. Hermes? I drool over the wallets, but I know they'll cost four times what my LV did and last 1/4 as long before it starts looking quite ragged.

Overall, I think if you can get a quality bag at a sale price, you're ahead of the game. Even better are the bags in the $100-300 range, and if you have a lot of retailers around, then a ton will go on sale regularly. You can also find amazing deals online if you routinely check in to see what's been discounted recently.

No quality bag will be a good value though if you don't use it. They don't serve much of a purpose hanging around in a dust bag in your closet. :lol:

This was extremely informative, thank you.