Purse size relative to your height?

im v petite- 4"7 but v busty which makes finding a proportionate bag sometimes a challenge. bags that suit my size sometimes arent big enough for everything so i just carry what i like, win reason (ie my medium carly looks like a large carly on me so i really could buy the large size!) i think it is just a matter of what feels right to you.

Well, I don't know what kind of help I will be, but I am a 6'7" tall guy...

I LOVE big bags, My rule of thumg is that the bag has to be at least 15" in length, and at least 12" high... I like them big! lol

Im only 5', but I carry whatever bag I like! Some are larger than others, one or two may be a tad too large, but I dont really care - I love them all! You carry what you love and dont worry about what anyone else says. Your confidence in the way you carry yourself when you are truly happy with something, like a great bag, will far outweigh any "do's and dont's" that people may have!

well i do think it's a matter of style! when i was younger i wouldn't be caught dead carrying a big bag... i felt like it was for moms but now that i'm older with a daughter i live for them! now as for the height situaton it does matter about that that's why they have measurements on the website to let u know how it will hang on u. i am tall also 5'7' and not only can little bags be frustrating they also look foolish on a tall person.....also u can't just buy a big bag because it's big u have to find one that brings out your own individual style...if u don't care for huge bags get a medium...but keep your style on the fore front when making a coach decision..because they aren't cheap so u need to absolutely love it...

Im 5'6 and I will carry mostly med to large bags, but thats because i carry alot of crap around. I was told once by an SA that bag size is only relavant to build, I have never actually taken notice, however she told me little bags make woman look heavier and big bags make them look slimmer. I have been on both ends of the spectrum 3 yrs ago I was 220lbs now i am 143 lbs. but I dont think that size would affect height.

I think it's all about how you rock them! While I'm not super tall, I'm taller than some (5'7") and I just tend to carry bigger bags because that's what I'm comfortable with. But if you are comfortable with smaller bags and they fit your needs, then by all means carry them! :tup:

It's all personel preference. I'm almost 5"3 and I only wear big bags, I don't like the way small bags look on me, but I've seen small bags worn by some really tall womem and think they look good. I say wear what you like and what your comfortable with.

I'm about 5"6 and I carry medium to large bags. Small pouches look ridiculous on me. I am still fairly new to Coach (I bought my first Coach bag in March 2008) and I didn't understand the use of pouches, at first, because they just fit the crook of my arm. No way could they fit on my shoulder comfortably. I'm not that big (about 130 lbs) so I didn't understand the point of owning one.

Then, I saw Dragonette's pix and she looked absolutely lovely with them on! I peeled my eyes and saw more dainty slim ladies with these pouches and I completely understand. This is a humbling discovery--not every handbag at Coach should fit me but think could fit me. Luckily, they have such a wide selection that I have no problem finding these "my size and my style" bags.

I find the larger all leather bags to be too heavy on me so I stick with Signature fabric or medium to small size all-leather handbags.

So, to each their own. :shrugs:

Take care,

Last edited:
I dont think so. I'm 5'3 and have carried a large carly, .. Otherwise I think my bags work on taller people. Reg carly, signature tote,
I would say the one that is perfect for my height would be the older version of the signature strip tote.

Honestly its all about what you are comfortable with and what is most functional for you. If you feel comfortable & confident with it, rock it! =)
Here is my scenario: I loved the Lily XL. When she arrived, I thought she looked too big on my 5'3" frame, almost like luggage. So I posted modeling pics on here for opinions. I ended up returning it for a medium Lily, which I felt was much more proportionate to my size. Here are the pics:

Lily XL, I decided looked too big:
lily2.jpg

Medium lily, just right!

march08014.jpg

Honestly, I think I look ridiculous with small bags on my 5'11" frame. But that's just my personal style. I love big bags, not only because I think they look better, but I usually just carry so much junk around with me anyway.

I too am on the opposite end, short girl who loves large bags! I don't think that your size to the bag's size matters. Just that you love and respect her, because if you do that, she'll make you look fabulous!

I think the height weight proportion thing is correct. I will not carry a bag that makes me look bigger than I am which purses tend to do if they are too small on my frame. I think small purses look stranger on larger girls (stranger than large purses on petite girls) so in this case I would have to say carry what you love as long as it looks proportionate to your body size unless it is a wristlet then I think it is ok.