Purse organizers: Chameleon v. PurseIn (incl. Suhali Lockit PM)

blueiris

O.G.
May 11, 2008
I previously posted on my PurseIn organizer from Pursesitter.com. I just received a Chameleon insert--large structured type--and here are some observations:

Chameleon-structured is rectangular and stays rectangular, while PurseIn has a squared bottom corner but tends to be more oval. The sides of PurseIn are higher than the Chameleon.

PurseIn is reversible and finished on both sides. Chameleon is unfinished on one side, so although I can flip it, it looks and feels messy with the exposed seems outward (I wouldn't recommend it). I had asked the Chameleon designer, Kathy, last week whether it was reversible and never received an answer (though she answered other questions). After ordering it, receiving it, and giving her the suggestion to make it reversible today, she said it was a coincidence as she was looking into that option for an update coming soon (oh, great--I wish she had told me that when I had asked her in the first place! Sheesh :cursing:).

Chameleon has a removable bottom piece for added structure. I find that it is probably unnecessary for any bag that has a structured bottom like the Lockit. It adds more shape to the Le Pliage (which is an unstructured fold-up tote), though the sides are molded enough that I don't think it's needed for that bag, either.

PurseIn has a drawstring for security, which might be helpful for open-top bags like the Hampstead.

Chameleon's fabric is plain nylon, somewhat coarse but not scratchy. PurseIn is a satiny-type fabric that has more slip and a visual sheen.

Chameleon has a better selection of colors, I think. There are options to complement a bag's interior color or to brightly contrast it. PurseIn's colors are limited.

They're both lightweight. I think the Chameleon feels slightly lighter, especially with the bottom insert removed.

I like them both, for different reasons. I think the PurseIn fits my Suhali Lockit a bit better, as the sides bunched a little on the Chameleon. I think the Chameleon-large-structured works better with my Le Pliage better, though the PurseIn works in there, too. Unfortunately, I wish the colors of these were reversed!

I haven't really used the Chameleon yet, because I intended it for my Lockit but it's a little bulky in there. Plus I'm not supposed to use my Lockit until my birthday, anyway.

The silver is the Chameleon Large Structured. The green is PurseIn.

First are photos of them on their own:
-Chameleon w/out the bottom insert, PurseIn with pockets on outside
-Chameleon w/ the bottom insert, PurseIn with pockets on the inside (inside-out)
-side-by-side

More photos to follow--

Attachments

• comparison-wm.JPG
    comparison-wm.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 6,303
  • comparison-w-bottom-wm.JPG
    comparison-w-bottom-wm.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 6,047
  • outside-comparison.JPG
    outside-comparison.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 6,139
The blue bag is the Suhali Lockit PM. The black and pink bags are both Longchamp Les Pliages medium shoulder totes.

Attachments

• Cham-Lockit-full-wm.JPG
    Cham-Lockit-full-wm.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 6,870
  • PurseIn-Lockit-wm.JPG
    PurseIn-Lockit-wm.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 5,956
  • Cham-Pliage-full-wm.JPG
    Cham-Pliage-full-wm.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 6,097
  • Pursein-Longchamp-wm.jpg
    Pursein-Longchamp-wm.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 6,859
Thanks for the comparison pics. I'm glad I didn't get the PurseIn. Seems a bit floppy. I really like the Chameleon for my Speedy 30's.

AzurSpeedy031.jpg

AzurSpeedy036.jpg

Thanks for the comparison pics. I'm glad I didn't get the PurseIn. Seems a bit floppy. I really like the Chameleon for my Speedy 30's.

Those are great photos--thanks!

The PurseIn is not really floppy, as it can stand on its own while empty and has body to the construction. I think the fabric is a little more substantial than the Chameleon's while remaining pliable. It doesn't have the boxiness that the Chameleon has at the top, which makes it a better fit for bags that are narrower at the top. I agree that the Chameleon's shape is probably better-suited for bags that are boxier, like your Speedy, or for bags that have absolutely no shape on their own, like my Le Pliage tote. I think you made the right choice with your Chameleon! It really looks great :tup:

so which one is better? chameleon or pursein? are they from different company? can i have both website? thanks. :yes:

btw, would the organizer color transfer? :shrugs:

They're different companies:
PurseIn: www.PurseSitter.com (Hong Kong)
Chameleon: http://www.chameleoninserts.com/index.html (United States)

I like them both, but because the shapes and features are different, it really depends on the bag. :yes: I like the PurseIn for my suhali Lockit PM, but I wish it were in a silver color to match better. I like both the PurseIn and Chameleon Large-Structured for my Le Pliage tote, but I wish the Chameleon were reversible like the PurseIn is.

I don't know about color transfer, but I think both are probably relatively colorfast because they're nylon. I'm probably going to hand-wash both before using inside a light-colored bag, just in case, to see if the color runs.

They're different companies:
PurseIn: www.PurseSitter.com (Hong Kong)
Chameleon: http://www.chameleoninserts.com/index.html (United States)

I like them both, but because the shapes and features are different, it really depends on the bag. :yes: I like the PurseIn for my suhali Lockit PM, but I wish it were in a silver color to match better. I like both the PurseIn and Chameleon Large-Structured for my Le Pliage tote, but I wish the Chameleon were reversible like the PurseIn is.

I don't know about color transfer, but I think both are probably relatively colorfast because they're nylon. I'm probably going to hand-wash both before using inside a light-colored bag, just in case, to see if the color runs.
thanks, dear! :yes:

the organizer is quite useful. but i only carry a wallet, mobile, tissue and keyholder. do i need an organizer? do they have all the sizes for different shape of bags? :shrugs:

Rosie,
I agree with you that the PurseIn is super floppy. I love the fabric feel to it but wish it had some type of stabilizer in it. I've been using it in my Galliera PM and it's just not holding its shape and I'm tending to stuff things on top of it because I can't get them to go into the pockets that I want them to. It's too satiny soft. The PurseIn wouldn't work well for me in my Speedy 30 or Neverfull MM. I also like the Chameleon Extra Sturdy for that. (I am not sure she offers the extra sturdy version anymore) I also have the Purse To Gos and I think even those have some type of stabilzer sewn inside. Those hold the shape very well. If I could sew, I'd open up my PurseIn and add a stabilzer to it because it is the prettiest to me of all of them. :yes:

Last edited: