Purse Newbie

sapphire74

Apr 3, 2008
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the purse game! I can never pick out cute purses I always in up picking out old lady purse and I am only in my mid 30's!:lol: So I came to this site for help! Can anyone give me an ideas as to where to start?

TIA

Hey! Welcome :smile:

That's a difficult question to answer without any background info...what sort of lifestyle/job etc do you have? Are you after something for smart or casual wear? Do you have a budget? And any colour preferences?

I'm tearing myself away to go to bed now...I'll try to check in again tomorrow. Hopefully by then you'll have had loads of replies! Good luck!

You're where I was about a year ago, except I was 40! After upgrading my wardrobe in my late 30's, I realized that my basic black bag that I used every day (same simple style year after year) didn't work for me anymore.

First off, you need to have an idea of what works for you. Do you prefer a shoulder bag or a handheld bag? What size works best for your lifestyle - small, medium, or large? How much are you willing to spend? Do you prefer a classic style, something casual, or something a little more edgy?

I think you'll get more help if you can provide some details. Also, start looking at all of the designer forums. There are so many pictures and so much information. You'll probably find that you're drawn to some brands and have no interest in others.

I suggest you check out LunaBoston.com. They carry bags by hot indie-ish designers at "reasonable" prices, plus there's always a 20% off code floating around.

Welcome to the forum! :flowers: I'd recommend to just take your time and persume the forum. Ladies (and men) have posted wonderful pictures of their handbags. Browse and learn from others what they love, what they don't like about their purses. I do that, and I've learned a lot from everyone's advice. This is a great resource for handbag research! :tup:

Welcome! Start reading some threads and viewing photos ~ you'll see a lot of different types of bags and encounter a plethora of excellent questions for your consideration. What you'll find here will help you define your own personal style. Enjoy!!

Welcome!

If you can give us a little more information about you, we'll be able to help a lot more. We're all pretty diverse as far as what we like and carry, and what our needs are in a bag.

Will you be carrying it to work with you? Does it have to look professional? What is your clothing style like? Do you like big bags or small ones? What are your favorite colors (and do they go with the clothes you wear)? What is your price range? The more you can tell us about you, your style, your needs, etc. the better. We'll find you something!

And browse around the forum, you never know what you'll stumble upon. :yes:

I'm 31 and I just made my first grownup purchase ... I'm also accused of choosing old lady purses. I bought a Cole Haan Aerin medium tote in rust . and I wanted to start with classic pieces first before I venture out. I'm looking for something similar (maybe a little bit smaller and lighter in weight, I'm an admin in NYC. I love hobos and satchels but I need something with a structured bottom and I'd like a "convertible bag" ? My budget is modest-100- 250, $300 maybe... Any suggestions ?