Purse life span

MelmoK

Jun 22, 2008
I'm one of those girls who will almost wear a bag to death when I love it. However I don't have a lot of experience with Coach bags. Are there any that do better being 'day bags'? Being used for a day here or there instead of normal every day use?

I got to get my hands on a Gathered Sophia yesterday and fell in love, however it did feel a bit more delicate then I'm used to so I don't know if it would be a wise splurge.

i recently got a large black gathered sophia. i have not used it yet so cannot tell u if it will hold up but many ladies here have the bag,and can tell you more about it. i love the look of the bag but i am nervous about it. im waiting till after Christmas to decide to keep or not.

I think it really depends on the bag and how one cares for their bags.I happen to think the new Madison Sophia Line is made very well..From the Sophia's to the Shoulder bag's!!!!There are so many to chose from to.I like that my small silver sophia has a glaze over the metallic leather because of so many issue's with that type of leather peeling.This way, it shouldn't be an issue with the sophia or the shoulder bag in this color!!!I know alot of ladie's have the gathered sophia's and love them..Good luck on the hunt for your new bag:smile:

Hi,
I have the Large Black Gathered Sophia and I love her!!! Coach makes a good quality bag. I have several bags so I do rotate but haven't had any problems. If something happens to your bag (that isn't normal wear and tear, Coach will try and fix it or replace it.)
Good Luck on your decision!

Lynne :biggrin:

I very seldom get my bags broke in let alone use them that much but I would hope Coach would be good for a long while. I would think more than a year.

I think the lifespan of ANY purse depends on how much you use it and how much you baby it. I was unemployed last winter so I used one bag pretty much the whole winter and into spring and it looks great.

I have a Francine and LOVE her. I can't speak for the Sophia b/c I don't have one. Francine is a bit heavy when she's loaded though so you may want to take that into consideration if that's an issue. With that said, she will hold a ton and is very low maintenance in terms of taking care of her and I think she'll have a very long life span. Love love love that bag. :smile:

I have a black leather Ergo hobo (the first gen., when it was a classic hobo silhouette) that I carried everywhere, every day, for over 3 years. She's still in perfect shape. I only sent her on vacation with my Coach evening bags because I was finally tired of carrying a slouchy bag. I don't believe I was "rough" with her, but I certainly didn't go out of my way to protect her from the elements. She had stuff spilled on her, walked through the rain, been dropped, smooshed, etc. I think her only natural enemy is a wood chipper, but I wouldn't be surprised if she chipped the wood chipper and not the other way around.

I'm one of those girls who will almost wear a bag to death when I love it. However I don't have a lot of experience with Coach bags. Are there any that do better being 'day bags'? Being used for a day here or there instead of normal every day use?

I got to get my hands on a Gathered Sophia yesterday and fell in love, however it did feel a bit more delicate then I'm used to so I don't know if it would be a wise splurge.

I think the leather bags will hold up better then the signature fabric.. but I do agree the gathered leather does seem softer and more delicate. I think you will need to be a little careful not to rub it on things as it might tear. the pebbled leather is very durable...and would think that using it everyday for a yr would be ok.. as with any leather. The smooth leather will just so scratches and nicks more.

enjoy your bag, love her you paid a nice dollar for her ...

Thank you all for sharing your experience. I really am only interested in leather bags though there is an op art bag that I believe someone got me as a christmas present soooo.
I do switch out my bags about every six months or so, I have a collection of loved bags that are in rotation so nothing will likely be used for a year straight but Indiana is an all weather state with sometimes high humidity.

from my experience, i bought a coach black mini sig hobo a long time back, i would say maybe at least 5 yrs back and used it literally everyday through all sorts of weather conditions, and it still has no damage, tears, scuffs etc. if i wash the material, i bet it would look brand new! its fabric, but the base and top handle is leather.

I have two gathered leather bags and one gathered leather wallet. JMHO but I think it's a beautiful but sturdy leather. I have several Coach bags in my rotation but I just can't seem to kill any of them. OK, I have had a color transfer issue with a white patent bag but the leather never became worn or tattered looking. I take care of my bags but I am not afraid to use them and take them out in all sorts of weather. Coach bags are made to be used.