purse drawing attention at work....

da$luvah

Jun 25, 2008
I have been rotating my bags and my co workers seen to pay partcular attention to me about my bags and my coats and my shoes.... do they have a life of their own or they are so bore that have to pay attention at someone else.

How to reponse back to them to let them know that it is enough. .

Surely thats a good thing? I love to be noticed with my bags, and thought that was a core reason behind buying designer handbags, to feel good about your bag and start a little bit of jealousy. There are much higher quality bags available without a designer name on the inside/outisde.

I'd just take it as a compliment, or if it really bothers you I'd stick to a single plain bag for work, and rotate at other times.

I have been rotating my bags and my co workers seen to pay partcular attention to me about my bags and my coats and my shoes.... do they have a life of their own or they are so bore that have to pay attention at someone else.

How to reponse back to them to let them know that it is enough. .

Don't respond, just keep being 'you' :yes:

If it is getting in the way of things (harmony, promotion etc) you could choose 2 or three outfits/bags and just rotate them (keeping others for non-work) that way you will always look good but they will think you have less stuff.

Thanks for the reply. It is okay to be notice but every time I use a bag ( even if I have used it in the past and they don't remember, I don't expect them to do) still ask it that new. It is just annoying.
So one day I started to ask them the same question and they said " oh, no it is old sit in my closet" I am not the type of person keep attacking them. but should I narrow my usage because of them? no.

I just brush off any attention that my bags bring me. I am uncomfortable with oohing and ahhing unless I am in the company of fellow bag lovers or at department stores, etc. I don't like the attention at work so I deflect or just downplay the situation. Say it is a bag you've had for a while and change the subject.

I wouldn't necessarily limit the number of bags that you carry...unless it is somehow affecting your work or the perception of your work. For example, if you are an intern at a small company and your CEO boss makes comments about you spending a lot of money on bags, then you might want to take that into consideration. Whether or not it's right, your CEO boss might be implying that you are wasteful and materialistic, or that you cannot be trusted with funds.
However, if the people who are commenting are just being curious or there is really no way that their comments could be harmful to your career, then I would just be normal and use whatever you like.
This really depends on so many things, like profession, age, blatant flashiness of the bag, who is making the comments, what the comments are, etc...

I agree with Little Rock, and do the same thing when I'm asked about my bags by co-workers. I steer clear of convo's at work where someone is asking how much this or that cost me...but I don't mind giving that type of info to someone outside of work who is clearly interested in the bag and/or wants to purchase one for themself.

I wouldn't limit the bags you carry at work; you bought them to enjoy! You've earned them, so it's your right to carry them whenever you want to. You can always use excuses when asked about them...tell them the bag was a gift, you've had it awhile so it's not really new, etc etc.

they don't ask how the bags cost, but they ask very loud and they know that I like handbags.
They way they comment so that my superior can hear them. How I dress and carry myself does not affect my performance at work.
To me the comment make it sound like I am out shopping every day.

This is a tough situation. I can sympathize because I know that my co-workers make comments about my bags. One girl is genuinely sweet and says to me really nicely, "You always have the best bags!" But the others are not so sweet. One girl walked by my desk once and said loudly to another coworker: "Spending more than $100 on a handbag is insane." And I know that they talk about me behind my back. (Girls just know these things!) So I try to ignore it....
....but do I let it limit my rotation of bags? No way. I paid good money for these bags: money that I work very hard for, and as I am a single woman, I feel that it is my right to buy what I like for myself. So I let them talk about me and ignore it. It's unfair -- I don't show off about my bags or announce when I've gotten a new one or anything obnoxious like that. But they talk anyway. I say: Let them talk! If you are doing well at work and nothing is obstructing that work, then try to ignore them... (OR if you're feeling really devil-ish, when they ask how much the bag costs, you could say "One MILLION dollars!" Then laugh at their reaction!)

It kind of sounds like idle office talk. Honestly I wouldn't give it second thought unless they start asking me the cost of the items in front of others. If they were to do that then I'd be annoyed it's none of their business what I spend on my bags/clothes and it's rude to ask especially in front of others. We all spend our money the way we want, some things I will spend big money on others will find frivolous and vice versa. For example yes I spend a lot on handbags, clothes, & shoes I spend nothing on new tv's, computers, and tech gagets not that theirs anything wrong with spending money on those things it's just not where I choose to spend my money. If they asked me what I spent I'd simply reply it's not their business what I spent on the item and that I do not question them how they manage their money in front of others because it's rude/tacky and most importantly it's not my business. If it becomes a constant issue why not talk to your manager about it, maybe they can set your coworkers straight. I wouldn't limit how many bags you wear to work just be yourself, haters are always going to hate don't let their negative attitudes change yourself or bring you down.

It kind of sounds like idle office talk. Honestly I wouldn't give it second thought unless they start asking me the cost of the items in front of others. If they were to do that then I'd be annoyed it's none of their business what I spend on my bags/clothes and it's rude to ask especially in front of others. We all spend our money the way we want, some things I will spend big money on others will find frivolous and vice versa. For example yes I spend a lot on handbags, clothes, & shoes I spend nothing on new tv's, computers, and tech gagets not that theirs anything wrong with spending money on those things it's just not where I choose to spend my money. If they asked me what I spent I'd simply reply it's not their business what I spent on the item and that I do not question them how they manage their money in front of others because it's rude/tacky and most importantly it's not my business. If it becomes a constant issue why not talk to your manager about it, maybe they can set your coworkers straight. I wouldn't limit how many bags you wear to work just be yourself, haters are always going to hate don't let their negative attitudes change yourself or bring you down.

Exactly!!! :tup:

thanks for your understanding. I feel like once they bite they won't let go. I agree with you about stop the rotating .... why should I. I see people wear new sweater jacket everyday, but I don't come in front of them say " is that new?"

I feel like rotate one bay everyday and see how long they will stop and realize that okay so she has a bunch of bags. ugh.

What kind of comments are they?

I tend to rotate between 3 or 4 bags at work (and might I mention, I nearly had a conniption when the landlord/owner of our studio came in with a BV black hobo. I wanted to compliment her bag, but I didn't want to come off as a kiss arse suck up. Anyways.) and find I get the occasional compliment - nothing really specific beyond 'nice bag.'

However, I think the only comment or backhanded comment I'd be worried about would be or might be something like 'Well, I must be paying you too much!' from a boss, or a 'nice bag' followed by an eyebrow raise. Context is everything, and if the compliments are just water cooler talk or making conversation, I think you should be okay wearing your bags.

I don't know. I wish people would get a life, seriously! What ever happened to old fashioned compliments? It sounds like a lot of envy over the way you look and carry yourself. You sound like someone who is very fashion conscious and perhaps the type of company you are in is not used to it. Perhaps they are not making as much money as you and are jealous that you can afford to look better than them. I'm just guessing based on your comments. Either way, that kind of behavior is very wrong!

I would hate to see you limit the number of handbags you use based on intrusive comments but at the same time, if you are working in a semi-hostile environment, you might want to limit a bit of what you are wearing as far as changing it up very often with your clothes, bags and shoes. It is most unfortunate and sounds like you do not work in a conservative office. Most conservative offices would act conservatively and leave you alone unless you were wearing something outlandish. Good luck!

This question is asked in every purse forum on tPF. If we all stopped wearing our bags due to some "haters" where would we be? That's right, in their shoes, miserable. Wear what you like with pride.