Purse Collections

Mzaf

Feb 3, 2016
Curious what everyone's thoughts are about purse collections. Do you prefer your collection to grow even if it means you are holding onto high end bags, no longer wearing some or, does your collection ebb and flow with the changing styles and trends?? What makes you sell, what makes you keep?? [emoji848]

I want a small collection of bags. I intentionally look for bags that are classic and simple, so that I can wear them for a long time. Last year I sold some bags because I realized they were not long term bags for me. I find pleasure in a bag that can transition seamlessly with the times, made well, and looks good on me through my journey in life. When I find a bag with those qualities, it is highly treasured.

I love having a collection, but it has evolved since I got interested in designer bags 15 years ago. I have some that I will never part with, others I end up selling because I find something I love more. I would love to just keep everything forever, but in order to purchase as often as I do, I need to do some selling as well :smile:. I definitely use everything in my current collection regularly, with the exception of the first couple of bags I ever bought, which I keep for nostalgic purposes.

Reactions: Mzaf and snibor
Ok next question...for those of you that hold onto bags, do you wear them all or keep some for nostalgia or just to have a large collection??

I do wear them, just not regularly. For example, one of my favorite bags is my LE Stephen Sprouse Speedy 30 reissue in neon orange. I went a couple of years wearing it every single day. Now, it's babied in my closet but I do wear it to art parties, etc.

I rarely wear my Eva but I do use it as a dressy shoulder bag for summer weddings.

I think my Lumineuse tote is four years old now? I still use it all the time because it's durable, still looks great condition-wise and is large enough to fit my laptop, chargers, daily essentials and my dog's daycare drop-off stuff. It's the best work bag ever, and I don't know why they discontinued it.

I have a "smallish" purse collection, 7 bags overall with the intention of keeping it maxed at 12. I used to hoard bags but I sold over 20 handbags & a bunch of slgs last year because I didn't love them. I kept 4 and now rebuilding a collection that suits my lifestyle and outfits.

Because my tastes have evolved over the years my collection has evolved as well. Before every purchase I really try to do research and think about whether something will fit and how it will fit into my lifestyle. But, I still sometimes down the road wind up finding a particular bag is not for me or that I've tired of it. For example, I used to really be into logo bags but as I have grown older I have discovered that I like the more under the radar luxury brands.

I am not nostalgic and will not hold on to bags if I'm not using them. I also don't like clutter and tend to be more of a minimalist so I like to keep my collection small. Anything more than a half dozen is too big of a collection for me. If I didn't have a boring office job that occupies my life all week I might have a larger collection. I use the same boring work bag because some people at my workplace are judgey.

I really wish I could get to a place where my collection is complete lol but not sure if that will ever happen. I have four bags I would love to add to my collection (an lv leather crossbody, an Hermes gp 36, a birkin, and a cabat BV) and swap out some others. Is there a purse wish list thread?

Reactions: Mzaf