Purple James Tote--to keep or not to keep!

jp126

Aug 28, 2008
Hope you guys can give me some feedback on this!

I found a Botkier Purple James Tote on Saturday for a price that is...well, let's just say it was SUCH a STEAL for what it's really worth! However, I just grabbed it because of the price and am still contemplating about whether or not I should keep it.

What are some of your opinions about it? (I know, it's ultimately my choice, but... (: ) The style, the color, etc.

I was deciding between this particular bag and a Marc by Marc Jacobs, though I do like the quality of Botkier's leather more. Haha wrong forum to place this under as bias is assured, but hey--just throwing my situation out there! (:

I also don't understand how Botkier isn't a more popular brand? (Maybe it is, but I just haven't been exposed to it enough...) There are a lot of very potentially classic styles! (I also really want a Trigger now after looking up the brand!!)

And a big hello to everyone. (: I've been lurking around the forums for quite some time now--finally making a REAL appearance! :biggrin:

Cloud5

Jan 3, 2010
Hi jp I think there are more people like you who check the thread but don't really post. I agree botkier does have some classic styles. I am hoping that she will re-release the trigger in new colors in the near future.

So what MBMJ bag were you thinking of? I have a couple of his bags. I was thinking of the James tote but I decided not to because I have the MBMJ lil riz hobo and I thought they looked similar. I do like that type of style and almost bought a very similar BE.

If you got it for a steal...I might just keep it for that reason alone. I know I am always chiming in when I don't even have the bag, but I am a fan. I hope this helps!:biggrin:

Contessa

O.G.
Sep 25, 2007
Jp....congrats on the find.

If you're questioning it, to me it looks as though you're not 100% which means, it's not really :heart:, is it? Seems to me you're trying to convince yourself.

Go for something that makes you excited & look forward to wearing it......you know.....the bag that makes you lose sleep thinking about wearing it the next day.....the bag that makes you want to go to work and NOT call in sick just so you can show it off!!!! ;)

sillykitty

Jun 6, 2009
SoCal
I agree, if it doesn't make you smile inside, return it and get something that does.

I, on the other hand, have a Purple James high on my wish list!

HeyItsRobin

Jun 2, 2008
i think the botkier purple leather is a gorgeous color, but i don't personally care for the james tote. i prefer the james hobo.

jp126

Aug 28, 2008
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful responses! :biggrin:

I am so in love with the MbMJ Classic Q/Totally Turnlock Baby Aidan, but it's so far out of my price range--I am a poor college student after all! I just wanted to get SOMETHING in order to hold me off until I can actually afford the Baby Aidan. However, after continuously looking at the tote and imagining myself in public with it, I think it looks pretty nice. The purple is absolutely lovely! I do prefer the hobo, but beggars can't be choosers!

I don't know if it's because I keep staring at it, but it's really growing on me. And after reading what Contessa wrote, I kind of do see myself wanting to show it off now!

Well, I have 30 days to decide...we'll see if it grows on me enough for me to keep it. (I got it for $175 at Off 5th--is it as big of a steal as I feel it is?? The MSRP was just so big it overwhelmed me!)

starkfan

O.G.
Jan 18, 2009
$175 is definitely a steal! :yes: But like Contessa said, though, you've gotta love the bag too for that deal to truly be worth it... Maybe one trick might be to put it away in a place where it'd be inconvenient for you to get to it, and see if you feel the urge to take it out to wear it then? If you do get that urge, then maybe you have a winner on your hands after all! ;)

(Also, FWIW, that purple leather truly is amazing!! :P I'm completely biased, though, JSYK!)

zoesma

NICE KITTY
Jan 22, 2009
New York
ITA with the other ladies!! if you dont love it then dont keep it....i made that mistake a while back and bought a bag that i didnt love....it sat in the closet and i never ever used it....you got a wonderful deal but you can put that money to a bag that u will enjoy more!!! :smile:

denteve

Jan 27, 2009
NY/MA
That is an awesome price! I would keep it because the James tote is pretty versatile & purple is a great color ;)

tonij2000

Luvs Leather
O.G.
Mar 21, 2007
ShowMeState
I agree with everything posted. Yep, you got a great bag at a great price but if it doesn't make your heart sing, it's not worth it.

pinkboudoir

♥
May 19, 2006
SUN-shine-y island
I love good deals & while they are great buys($$$), they do not always make you love them. You can try & sometimes it works but if you cannot make it work or just think it's bleah, then it is a signal to let it go coz chances are, you would not use it all that much.

nwhite

O.G.
Feb 25, 2008
TX
I saw the purple james tote on clearance a few days ago. I really wanted to love it b/c of the price, but I just didn't feel it. I say get the one that you're instantly drawn towards. Botkier makes some other great bags that I'm sure you will be able to find at a great price!

jp126

Aug 28, 2008
I'm....GONNA KEEP IT!! :biggrin:

After a week of thinking and asking around for opinions, I came home to it and looked at for the first time in a week. I don't know if it's the stress of finals or what, but I felt the need to reward myself and feeling the leather and looking at the color totally had me make up my mind.

I'm going to save it for the Vegas trip I'm going on after finals are over. It's going to look wonderful and I can't wait to wear it out in public!!

The color looks so much better after carefully looking at it again--the purple is sooo gorgeous. I'll probably post pics after I finally get to wear it!! Okay, now back to studying. (:

THANK YOU ALL!! I'm an official Botkier owner now!!