Purchasing Rolex

Hi! I am new to the world of watches and would like to explore Rolex watches. I have heard they are difficult to get, but how difficult is it? Is it similar to H where I have to buy other watches to get the one I want, or do I put my name on a waiting list and wait until I am called? I love the date just for women and I would like to get a Submariner for my husband, but I am not sure how early I should put my name down on a waiting list. I am based in US.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance you may have. Thank you!

Hi! I am new to the world of watches and would like to explore Rolex watches. I have heard they are difficult to get, but how difficult is it? Is it similar to H where I have to buy other watches to get the one I want, or do I put my name on a waiting list and wait until I am called? I love the date just for women and I would like to get a Submariner for my husband, but I am not sure how early I should put my name down on a waiting list. I am based in US.

I think it very much depends on your AD and the specs of what you want a dial colour can make quite a difference in the wait time. A Lady Datejust should be simpler to get (that's not to say there's not a waiting game). For my DateJust 36 with Wimbledon Dial, I had to wait for around 7 months with only one previous purchase history with my AD (that was a OP 31 in Bright Blue Dial, which I had to wait 3 months for). So I've had 2 watches in a space of less than a year but neither are sport models so the demand may not be as high but don't know if this is just luck but that was my experience.

For a submariner, I would register your interest as soon as you feel like it's sensible to do so based on your conversation with the AD.

Hope this helps

• Love
Reactions: snnysmm
I think it very much depends on your AD and the specs of what you want a dial colour can make quite a difference in the wait time. A Lady Datejust should be simpler to get (that's not to say there's not a waiting game). For my DateJust 36 with Wimbledon Dial, I had to wait for around 7 months with only one previous purchase history with my AD (that was a OP 31 in Bright Blue Dial, which I had to wait 3 months for). So I've had 2 watches in a space of less than a year but neither are sport models so the demand may not be as high but don't know if this is just luck but that was my experience.

For a submariner, I would register your interest as soon as you feel like it's sensible to do so based on your conversation with the AD.

Hope this helps
Yes, it helps very much. Thank you so much for your detailed response.

Could I ask another question? How does pricing work with Rolex? For example, I got my Cartier watch at the price that is listed on the website (though it is my understanding you can negotiate the price). For Rolex, will the AD charge what is listed on the Rolex website or does it differ per AD (ie., they can ask for whatever price they want)?

This is such a silly question, but I am just so new to watches and don’t have anywhere else to ask for except for TPF. Thank you.

Yes, it helps very much. Thank you so much for your detailed response.

Could I ask another question? How does pricing work with Rolex? For example, I got my Cartier watch at the price that is listed on the website (though it is my understanding you can negotiate the price). For Rolex, will the AD charge what is listed on the Rolex website or does it differ per AD (ie., they can ask for whatever price they want)?

This is such a silly question, but I am just so new to watches and don’t have anywhere else to ask for except for TPF. Thank you.
The price at the AD should match that of the prices on Rolex site (subject to price changes, of course). I've not been monitoring Rolex RRP closely enough to know how often Rolex have a price increase but in the past 10 months there has been one price increase, which I believe was in March/April in line with the new launches from Watches and Wonders.
If an AD is asking for more that the RRP on Rolex site, I would personally stay away from that AD and try a different one.

The price at the AD should match that of the prices on Rolex site (subject to price changes, of course). I've not been monitoring Rolex RRP closely enough to know how often Rolex have a price increase but in the past 10 months there has been one price increase, which I believe was in March/April in line with the new launches from Watches and Wonders.
If an AD is asking for more that the RRP on Rolex site, I would personally stay away from that AD and try a different one.
Thank you for the information and advice!

If you’ve read this thread so far, forget it all. :panic:

The Rolex market now is very different than it was 2+ years ago.

If you have the funds for what your want now, start inquiring at your local ADs. Go in person, make a relationship. Go to more than one to request your preferences. Stores are receiving smaller and smaller shipments and almost everything they receive is spoken for by other customers who have been waiting.

Rolex sends them what they feel like sending them, not what their customers are waiting for so that’s why it’s important to work with multiple ADs.

Occasionally you can run into luck and the stars will align quickly but the more likely scenario is you will be waiting a rather long time to get your top picks.

My AD got approval to order 2 watches last July directly from Rolex (approved as special order). Rolex told them 3-4 months. One came in February. The other one they’re still waiting on over a year later and I ended up finding it elsewhere.

Most stores don’t have any new stock to sell and anything you see in the showcase are exhibition watches. The sporty, stainless steel models (especially in the larger/mens sizes) are the hardest to come by because the demand is so high.

The aftermarket has cooled off significantly in recent months so you can find some models for much closer to retail than before.

Reactions: erinrose
Rolex newbie here - I went to an AD today trying on Datejusts for the first time. The sales associate told me once I knew what I’d like (I was undecided on the diamond or Roman numeral markers) she can see if they could order one, and she also mentioned they would need a $1k deposit. Is that common practice for purchasing a Rolex these days? I was literally expecting to just be put on a waitlist and wait, based on what I’ve read so far, so am a bit confused.

Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: Cool Breeze
There are specific Rolex watch forums on the internet, some of which recommend ADs and have threads on Rolex , similar to our bag threads. I don’t know which one is the best, but they may have more specific information including AD geographic recommendations.

Incidentally, if you have a good relationship with an independent jeweler, you should inquire if he is an AD for Rolex, or if he has a good relationship with one and can introduce you.

Last edited:
Reactions: lishukha
Rolex newbie here - I went to an AD today trying on Datejusts for the first time. The sales associate told me once I knew what I’d like (I was undecided on the diamond or Roman numeral markers) she can see if they could order one, and she also mentioned they would need a $1k deposit. Is that common practice for purchasing a Rolex these days? I was literally expecting to just be put on a waitlist and wait, based on what I’ve read so far, so am a bit confused.

Thanks!
No, not common practice to ask for a deposit to get on a wait list, especially for a Datejust which are fairly available. They're asking you to tie up your money on spec. All kinds of wrong here. Suggest you try another AD with friendlier client service. Good luck!

No, not common practice to ask for a deposit to get on a wait list, especially for a Datejust which are fairly available. They're asking you to tie up your money on spec. All kinds of wrong here. Suggest you try another AD with friendlier client service. Good luck!
Thank you. It didn’t feel right as she said it right before I left the store too. I’ll try a different one next week :smile:

I have never been asked to put a deposit down, not in the 3-4 Dallas stores I've added my name to nor in Carmel, CA

Hi Swanky, I am new to the Dallas area and am considering my first Rolex. Do you recommend a specific AD in the area and do you have any insight on current wait times? I am interested in a 28 date just two toned.