Purchasing Rolex

I’m thinking of buying a Rolex, a datejust. What is the buying process like? Some of the searches I’ve done online suggest that you need a purchase history at an authorized dealer before you can get on a waitlist that’s a year long (??). Is this the typical experience?
Where are you located? I am in the U.S. Just bought another Rolex less than two weeks ago. It is a steel bracelet (Oyster Perpetual). It is one of their 2020 models. Went to one retailer---placed my deposit, they ordered it and I waited and waited. But they were not able to produce it for me! (They refunded me anyways after I called and said that I already purchased what I like from another retailer). Recently, I was walking in the mall and saw the model I have been wanting for some time now. Waited about two hours as I didn't have an appointment (I know it's crazy but good thing I did, as that was their only watch in the model that I wanted, it came in two days before I got to the store---of course it was brand new and still had all the plastic and tags on it.
When I was in line, there were two guys who loved expensive watches too. One was a watch collector and was pretty knowledgeable about it. Both of them said that if it is a really popular Rolex model, one will have to wait for six months.....and they both talked based on their experiences. So I spoke with their manager and asked if it was a marketing tactic that Rolex and the stores create a "fake scarcity". His reply: "With COVID, Rolex in Switzerland shut-down for three months. But the demand has always been high even prior to COVID. They actually now have 2-12 hours shifts so staff can make more watches and keep up with the demand---but it's still not enough." (Don't know though how true his statements were as I have yet to research on my own.) Anyway, good luck in finding your Datejust.

Reactions: etudes and vhuynh2
Where are you located? I am in the U.S. Just bought another Rolex less than two weeks ago. It is a steel bracelet (Oyster Perpetual). It is one of their 2020 models. Went to one retailer---placed my deposit, they ordered it and I waited and waited. But they were not able to produce it for me! (They refunded me anyways after I called and said that I already purchased what I like from another retailer). Recently, I was walking in the mall and saw the model I have been wanting for some time now. Waited about two hours as I didn't have an appointment (I know it's crazy but good thing I did, as that was their only watch in the model that I wanted, it came in two days before I got to the store---of course it was brand new and still had all the plastic and tags on it.
When I was in line, there were two guys who loved expensive watches too. One was a watch collector and was pretty knowledgeable about it. Both of them said that if it is a really popular Rolex model, one will have to wait for six months.....and they both talked based on their experiences. So I spoke with their manager and asked if it was a marketing tactic that Rolex and the stores create a "fake scarcity". His reply: "With COVID, Rolex in Switzerland shut-down for three months. But the demand has always been high even prior to COVID. They actually now have 2-12 hours shifts so staff can make more watches and keep up with the demand---but it's still not enough." (Don't know though how true his statements were as I have yet to research on my own.) Anyway, good luck in finding your Datejust.
Thank you! Sounds like there might be a wait, but no purchase history necessary. Thank goodness - I did not want to play that game.

Reactions: showgratitude
Waitlist and SA relationship are usually for the in-demand men’s sizes/models. Datejust is easier to get. If the one you want is not available in your AD, they might have to order it and that may be where the wait comes into play due to current situation.

Reactions: etudes and vhuynh2
I walked into an authorized retailer and bought a Datejust on Wednesday. I was literally in-and-out in an hour. I will point out that they said that I was there at the ”right time” because the supply chain has been disrupted because of COVID. However, the point is that it wasn’t difficult. I had no purchase history at that location.

All models are made by hand in Switzerland, and so procuring the exact one you want in the shop is likely not going to happen. I also have a friend who walked into a Rolex boutique on a bit of a whim, and walked out again with a new watch. He didn't have a particular model in mind though. If you know exactly what you want, I'd bank on having to put your name down and play the waiting game.

I just went through this whole experience for my first Datejust: I put my name down at Rolex in my city this past July for two models I was interested in. I was told the wait would likely be 1-2 years. (I was also told I had had quite some bad luck, as both of my desired models had that very same week been in stock and sold immediately, argh.) I asked if Rolex would be opposed to me putting my name down at an additional concessionary Rolex dealer in town. They said by all means I do not have to be monogamous, and that doing so would have no influence whatsoever on how Rolex treats my order, nor would I be obliged to actually purchase the item once it arrived. So I also put my name down for the same models at an additional jeweller who is a licensed Rolex concessionary. Again, I was told the wait could be up to two years, particularly due to the current Corona situation in Switzerland.

In the end, Rolex was faster than the jeweller: they called me the other day that one of my wishlist items had arrived. I was able to pick it up yesterday and am in looooove. Total waiting time: just a bit over 4 months. The overall experience was great and I'm delighted with my new watch :smile:

Last edited:
I was lucky last year to get my OP black dial as there were no tourists so availability was good. I was on a list for my son's Rolex gift and it came in on Monday. I was able to form a nice relationship with the SA and he came through for me. I just called him to put me on the list for the Rolex Tiffany Blue . . . he said it might be awhile. He's one of those people who wants to make sure he's not selling to resellers (which is a good thing)!

Hi everyone,

I have finally decided that my next big purchase for 2021 will be this beautiful two-tone rolex datejust size 36mm with a MOP diamond dial and jubilee bracelet. However, I am having the hardest time sourcing one or even being able to place a special order.

Does anyone know of, or have, an authorized dealer they'd be willing to share with me that you think would take my order? Or if you have been able to place a Rolex order in the last two weeks with an authorized dealer, or seen one in-store, please let me know where.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 4.22.10 PM.png

I have been looking at the DJ as well. Providence Diamond in RI was willing to take a 50% deposit and "order" the watch. Delivery range was 3-6 months. I haven't actually placed my order yet as I haven't had the time to get there in person, but it's worth checking out. Good Luck!

Reactions: paris54531
Yes, I've been to three ADs in the last month and they'll all place an order for you. However, no guarantees as to exactly when the watch will be delivered. All three told me they couldn't even give a guesstimate! It's how I ended up purchasing the 31mm ss Datejust w/MOP and diamond markers! I found it at an AD and this watch was one of four I had been considering; I knew if I walked away it could take months before I located another.. good luck!

My local Tourneau store takes 20% deposit and 4-8 weeks (up to 10 due to pandemic) for special orders. I placed my order over the phone. PM if you need my SA info.
Do you have to have bought from the actual store to place a phone order? We bought my husband his Rolex at SCP in California and I got mine from Ben Bridges in Hawaii. We’re back in Hawaii now looking for my 2nd watch which will be a Lady Datejust size 28 with diamond bezel and diamond markers but stock is horrible!

Reactions: bisousx
Do you have to have bought from the actual store to place a phone order? We bought my husband his Rolex at SCP in California and I got mine from Ben Bridges in Hawaii. We’re back in Hawaii now looking for my 2nd watch which will be a Lady Datejust size 28 with diamond bezel and diamond markers but stock is horrible!

I placed my order over the phone at the SCP Rolex/Tourneau and never purchased from them before. It was my first Rolex. I did have to come to the store and pick it up in person.

Reactions: closetluxe