Purchasing a strap for a vintage kelly

mustangsammy

Oct 20, 2009
Hi ladies I'm hoping to make my first Hermes purchase, a vintage etourne box Kelly circa 1976. The only problem is it's missing the shoulder strap. Does anyone know how hard these are to come by or how much they cost? I wouldn't mind purchasing a new one, but I at least want it to be a matching leather and color.

Just as note darling I was told by my SA that it's not the best idea to put on a strap on vintage Kelly's because it's the Kelly's only two anchor points or strong handle points aside from the turnlock that caries all the weight I was told older kellys can and will stress with shoulder straps as the handle ring is not designed for a strap and can be damaging on the bag hope it helps best .birkel.

I honestly suggest a strap made with a scarf or two twilys !!!! Better on the shoulder and on the bag !!! Best !!!

Just as note darling I was told by my SA that it's not the best idea to put on a strap on vintage Kelly's because it's the Kelly's only two anchor points or strong handle points aside from the turnlock that caries all the weight I was told older kellys can and will stress with shoulder straps as the handle ring is not designed for a strap and can be damaging on the bag hope it helps best .birkel.

I honestly suggest a strap made with a scarf or two twilys !!!! Better on the shoulder and on the bag !!! Best !!!

Odd. Lots of vintage Kellys have straps made for them by Hermes, ones that were made well before the double rings were added.

You can take the bag to Hermes and ask; it can take a very long time, and whether or not it can be made at all depends on the leather and colour.

Good luck!

One our members recently took her very vintage Kelly to the boutique for a shoulder strap, and they are making it for her in Paris! I believe that they sent her bag for a perfect match.

Well that's what I was told I guess it's not the common opinion my vintage Kelly is rather old and the leather has dried up a bit so maybe thats why but I guess then go for it darling !!!!

I had a canvas strap made two years ago for one of my vintage kellys. I have chosen canvas since it would never be the same color anyway and i wanted a casual look. You can choose the exact lenth you need, but it will take long.

Thank you very much for the advice ladies! I'm now reconsidering waiting for one with a strap, I think I would be much happier with the strap and bag being in the same condition. Thanks again!

Perhaps you can also consider an Evelyne strap?

I asked quite recently about the Evelyne strap and was told that it costs 100 pounds and can take about 6 months or so...

I've used an Evelyne strap on a Kelly - the clips don't fit quite the same way, alas, or at least they didn't on my bag, and it hung kind of awkwardly ...

^^I just remembered that I used the canvas strap that came with my TPM toile GP on my 28 Kelly. It worked quite well and I was able to wear the bag messenger style. The clips are small, so perhaps that is why they worked.

One our members recently took her very vintage Kelly to the boutique for a shoulder strap, and they are making it for her in Paris! I believe that they sent her bag for a perfect match.

i just purchased a 1971 kelly as well...
and it is missing the shoulder strap too...
it comes with a newer shoulder strap like the current kelly

do you know if the member was given the vintage shoulder strap or the new shoulder strap?

TIA

Hello! Can anyone tell me the rules/process for ordering custom straps for the Evelyne & Kelly bags? Do I have to place the order in person or can I order them over the phone? Do I need to bring the bags with me to place the order & will they keep the bags so they can match the color or do they just order based on color name?

Also, can you order custom color combinations? For example, if I wanted a natural colored canvas strap to go with my orange Evelyne, would they do that?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!