Purchasing a strap for a vintage kelly

I've said this before in other threads, but my straps took nearly three years. Getting a strap made is not a sure thing (they can refuse to do certain orders) and it does tend to take a fair bit of time.

You should take the bag to your usual boutique and ask them about the strap, it might be easier to match the color of your bag with a canvas strap, I think a vintage bag looks great with a canvas strap.

I've made a non-Hermes leather strap for my vintage BBK recently at only US$80.

Previously when my friend purchased a lovely vintage (1970s) black croc Kelly, we took the bag to FSH and our dear SA showed us a black canvas strap to match. However we realized the color of the hardware on bag and the strap didn't match, as you may know the hw of vintage is tend to be more bronze.

image-3309205891.jpg

Reactions: Phanlee91
My Kelly came without a strap so I made my own. Total cost was less than $15. I'm going to make another with a closer color match, but this does the trick for now. I LOVE the bag, but it doesn't mean that much to me to wait and pay several hundred for an authentic Hermes strap. This one works fine.

img0978fz.jpg

img0983sy.jpg

Last edited:
I think the Kelly is beautiful in itself to be carried by hand. But for the times when I want to rest my bag over my shoulder I just attach an old strap from another vintage bag of the same color. There are so many bags with

image-2277014067.jpg

detachable straps nowadays you can always just use them. I don't really mind mine :smile:

16 months?! Wow, that's a long wait for just a strap. With a wait like that I'm guessing they don't hold onto your handbag for leather/color matching when you order the strap?

to be honest I'm not holding out getting it. I've been in a couple of times since but no update. I was refused in mad ave because "they don't do them as by the time the order comes in the buyer doesn't want them" > Wall street was better but i did have a new SA the day i ordered it so maybe she didn't actually order it. I don't know. Its a pain as I used my etoupe bolide with my bbk on my last trip. DH was mortified!

to be honest I'm not holding out getting it. I've been in a couple of times since but no update. I was refused in mad ave because "they don't do them as by the time the order comes in the buyer doesn't want them" > Wall street was better but i did have a new SA the day i ordered it so maybe she didn't actually order it. I don't know. Its a pain as I used my etoupe bolide with my bbk on my last trip. DH was mortified!
I have the same problem now - need to order a strap for my kelly. May I know the appox. price for the canvas strap?