Puppy Mills on Oprah

This show was on while I was at the gym on Friday - nothing worse than sweating and crying at the same time.

Another good place to report suspected puppy mills is the local chapter of your ASPCA.

I am so glad Oprah covered this! Since my family adopted a dog last year, I've been researching all types of puppy mills and the overpopulation of animals problem. I started volunteering at a local shelter, and every dog (or cat..but probably dog since I'm a dog lover) I ever own will be from a shelter. I have friends who have bought dogs from pet stores, and think it's ok because the pet stores are "clean". I hope this will open more peoples eyes to puppy mills, the abuse/horrible treatment these animals go through, the amount of lovable dogs that are in shelters, and unfortunately, the number of animals who are euthanized. There is absolutely no reason to buy a dog AND support puppy mills, when the same breed is waiting for you in a shelter.

I completely refused to watch it. Not because I don't care, quite the opposite, but because I know more than I care to about puppy mills and I knew being with it being Lisa Ling reporting and Oprah, it would be pretty graphic. It's hard enough to see the puppy mills they show on Animal Cops.

The upside of that show from my perspective is that it needed to be aired as a huge wake up call to people that don't know where that "cute little puppy in the window" at the pet store came from.

Adopt from shelters! It's the only way to go!!! :tup:

I'm so glad she did that show, but there was no way that I was going to watch it! I would have cried and cried throughout the whole thing.

I hope this opened up some people's minds and eye's to puppy mills. They're just horrible and no way any animal should live or be treated. People should really adopt!

...and make sure your companion is neutered. Families, aka backyard breeders, who put two dogs together thinking it's a cute thing to do or it happens by accident contributes to the problem also. Just think of how many do this as a whole. Even if they're not considered life inventory or in deplorable conditions, doesnt mean BYB dogs aren't flooding shelters also. Intentions may be good, but that ignorance doesn't make it any better for the dogs in the long run just because their puppies are raised lovingly in someone's home before being released. Puppymills are cruel and inhumane and they know it or think dogs are just commodities, but it's also sad when BYB find reasons they think are OK to allow their dogs to have puppies.

I'm glad they emphasized adopting from rescue or shelters, and that only reputable, registered breeders should be allowed to breed proven sound dogs.