Pulling teeth

spicepearl

Feb 8, 2006
Hello Ladies!

I was wondering whether anyone here has had their wisdom teeth extracted? It looks like I'll be getting my bottom ones done here in the near future, and I'm not looking forward to it at all :cry:

I've also checked the internet to see what I'll be in for. One thing I do know ... I want to be completely knocked out! If I so much as hear the drill or feel any tugging I know I'll be :sick:

By the way, I've read a bit about something called a "dry socket". I've heard that's painful and can last a while. Has anyone ever had that happen to them and how long does the pain usually last?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated and thoroughly absorbed! Sorry if I sound like a cry-baby, but when it comes to dentists, I just can't help it.

TIA Ladies :love:

I'm going to be honest w/ you b/c I think you deserve it but just keep in mind that this was my personal experience and mine only, k??

I had all 4 taken out at the same time. I got put under and it was great! It only felt like I took a deep nap for only 15 min's. I woke up and asked the doctor when he was going to start and to my surprise, he said he was already done.

Anyway, I went right to bed afterwards and just felt puffy. After awhile taking my painkillers, I started noticing that the bottle was almost gone and my pain wasn't going away. I knew that was odd so I called him and went back to his office. He told me I had dry sockets in all 4 holes. I was like, "Great!!!" What else? They didn't last too long b/c he gave me more painkillers and did something (can't remember) that helped the pain. They didn't last long. They'll tell you not to use a straw b/c that causes dry sockets. I didnt use a straw but probably caused it myself. If you adhere to the instructions, you'll do fine! Painkillers will be your best friend!! Good luck! Keeping you in my thoughts!

I had all four of mine pulled at the same time. I was completely knocked out during the procedure. I didn't have any problems BUT I did get strep the day after which made the entire recovery process a nightmare.

My friend had a dry socket once and according to her, it was pretty painful. Hopefully, you won't have any problems. I wish you the best!

I had 5 (yes 5) wisdom teeth surgically cut out. To prep for the procedure I took 20 mg (that's a ton) of oral Valium 60 minutes before. So I took them at home before DH drove me to the dentist. I don't remember much until I was in the chair. My husband said in the waiting room I was laughing at random stuff and being a total loon lol. Anyways I wasn't knocked out. My doc used local/conscious sedation oral cocktail. No IV. I could feel pressure and grinding, could hear cutting but I had no pain during. It didn't take long. I threw up in the car on the way home (I brought a bucket with me lol). I was on percocets for a few days. To be honest I thought I was going to die. I didn't get dry sockets. Jasanna's right, no straws! I'm not trying to scare you. Just take the meds after, you'll be OK.

I could sugarcoat it, buut.

I had all four of mine done when I was 16. They put me under and that was lovely. I never experienced a lot of pain afterwards- I only used advil and not the prescription meds they gave me.:smile:

buuuuut. My cheeks swelled up so my face was barely recognizable, and I have bruised going from my cheeks down my neck- I looked AWFUL. oh, and my jaw is permanently damaged from the procedure ( it pops in and out on one side, and it used to lock up!). BUT! I bruise easily in general, and the jaw thing isn't very common, I don't believe. :smile:

You're only getting two done, that shouldn't be a big deal at alllllll

good luck!!! :smile:

I had all 4 of mine taken out a long time ago.I was knocked out also, 2 were impacted so they took a few stitches after pulling. There was honestely really no pain afterword. It was a breeze. Best of luck to ya!

I had all 4 of mine taken out a long time ago.I was knocked out also, 2 were impacted so they took a few stitches after pulling. There was honestely really no pain afterword. It was a breeze. Best of luck to ya!

I had two surgically removed at different times. I had no problems at all, and just used Motrin, really because the dentist recommended it, not because I was in any real pain. I never developed dry sockets. Good luck!

Awww ... thank you guys so much for your reassurance, but also for your honesty! I guess it just helps to hear other peoples' experiences. You're all too kind :love:

Normally I would have just gone with what DH told me about his, but his WT were so hard the dentist blunted three drills on his one tooth and cussed the whole time. So you can see why I don't want to rely solely on his word. :biggrin:

angelica said:
My husband said in the waiting room I was laughing at random stuff and being a total loon lol. I threw up in the car on the way home (I brought a bucket with me lol).

*LOL* that's too funny! I'll keep the bucket in mind ;)

Dani said:
buuuuut. My cheeks swelled up so my face was barely recognizable, and I have bruised going from my cheeks down my neck- I looked AWFUL. oh, and my jaw is permanently damaged from the procedure ( it pops in and out on one side, and it used to lock up!). BUT! I bruise easily in general, and the jaw thing isn't very common, I don't believe. :smile:

Dani, that's awful! I'm really sorry to hear that that happened to your jaw, but I'm glad that you're okay. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Wow, I can't believe I'm making a big deal out of two miserable teeth ... huge teeth, but who cares?! :lol: Some of you have had up to 5 extracted *ouch* ... I can't wait to make friends with painkillers and a bucket.

Y'all have been too kind ... Bless you all!

i had my two bottoms removed in one session.....

i'm deathly afraid of doctors/needles.....so much so that i actually ran away from the doctor for about 30 minutes before he finally sedated me with enough laughing gas to calm me down (just the thought of having teeth pulled made me shudder....and those needles for the novacaine......although it was ridiculous that an 18 year old was running away from her dentist).......but the procedure turned out to be relatively quick and completely painless (i didn't even notice when he pulled the teeth out...just felt some pressure and out it came).....i was a huge baby for nothing......

so of course after the procedure i was afraid of the pain (i guess u can tell by now i'm afraid of a lot of things :shame:smile: but honestly i felt zero pain.....it was a little weird to eat only because i had stitches in my mouth and there was bleeding for a little bit after the procedure (gave my cotton pads for that) but please don't worry it should be fine :P

Thanks jc2239! I don't think you were being silly at all for running away. At least you even go as far as the dentist chair hahaha. I'd better stop worrying, or I'll make it worse before it's even happened. :biggrin:

I had all 4 removed. They were impacted so I was knocked out. I swelled up something fierce and it did hurt for about a week and generally felt kind of blah. Got sick of the mushy food real fast too.