Pugwawas :)

VenturaBlvd

Oct 15, 2008
Ok so I just moved into a new apartment and they allow small pets! :smile: I have always wanted a chihuahua but then recently I saw a pugwawa.... a mix between a chihuahua and a pug!! They are so adorable!!

Just wondering if anyone has one...

Sorry to say, but I don't think you will find much support for these 'designer' crossbred dogs. Consider adopting from a local shelter or humane society!

I have a couple as patients-just be aware that sometimes a "hybrid" can end up with the problematic genetic traits of each breed! The Chi and the Pug both can have some significant issues, so please try to find a reliable breeder, and make sure you are allowed one vet check!

I have a couple as patients-just be aware that sometimes a "hybrid" can end up with the problematic genetic traits of each breed! The Chi and the Pug both can have some significant issues, so please try to find a reliable breeder, and make sure you are allowed one vet check!

I am so glad you, as a vet, said this. While I understand that these hybrids are cute, I really have concerns that the demand will increase the crazy breeding between different breeds for that "designer dog" look. There are already thousands and thousands of purebred dogs needing homes, if backyard breeders start with this it will just make the homeless pet problem worse.

Sorry to say, but I don't think you will find much support for these 'designer' crossbred dogs. Consider adopting from a local shelter or humane society!

well said. please consider adopting. cross/mix breeds are nothing but result of human greed to make money off animals. there is nothing "designer" about it, other than human greed and irresponsibility. force breeding 2 different breed of dogs is very inhumane. please consider adopting.

The names of those designer breeds already give me the creeps. More and more mixes of totally different breeds seem to pop up recently. I wish people would stop buying the puppies.

You will never know what character your dog will have and which diseases it might have inherited. We don't need any more breeds and much less people mixing some random breeds just because people think they are cute.

Please choose a breeder of already existing and recognized breeds or rescue a dog from a shelter. Don't support those dubious backyard breeders that will charge you an arm and a leg for a mix.

Hey VenturaBlvd,

what is it about the pugwawas that makes you want one - this is the first I've heard of them so I don't know anything about them. I ask because maybe someone can suggest another small breed with similar characteristics. That way you are more certain of what you are getting and it's potential disposition, health issues and so on.

Another option would be to check small breed specific rescues. I got my (40lb dog) from such an organisation. Obviously they did not discriminate and her mom was 20lb but they were primarily geared towards small dogs - mixes and purebreeds. There is probably one in the area.

Last thing is with the release of Beverly Hills Chihuahua, I watched a show where they mentioned there are a lot of chihuahuas in the LA Area that need homes so maybe you can look into that. If I find more information, I can pass it.

No good breeder will breed a "designer dog." If you don't want to rescue (which I also encourage ;)), then do lots and lots of research, go to dog shows and meet breeders (and, by the way, you won't find any pugwawa breeders there!) and learn about the breed(s) you are interested in.

I am not trying to preach, but, please, please do a ton of research before purchasing a dog from a breeder. You don't want to support a puppymill or backyard breeder.

With the economic/housing crisis shelters have been overwhelmed more than they all ready are. These surrendered/abandoned pets deserve permanent loving homes.

You breed a stocky pug with a delicate chi and you could end up with a dog too heavy for it's spindly legs. Why would anyone breed a dog with such potential health issues? Money, of course.

ive found that the names of these designer dogs have made their way to the shelters because theyve become so common. last time i went to the shelter, they had puggles, and listed them as puggles instead of "pug-beagle"

i dont get why people keep calling these dogs designer dogs..it is just as silly as calling dogs "teacups." these dogs maltipoo, pugwawas, are not designer, they are just mutts! furthermore, they are created and bred by extremely inhumane and cruel humans who want to use marketing terms like "designer dogs" to sell to people who do not know better. just like how we criticize knock offs on the forum, i dont see this situation any different. people want to make money off the hype of smaller dogs, so they just breed w/o any regard for health or consequences...it is cruelty to animals at its worst and anyone who buys from these backyard breeders or puppy mills are just helping to further this cycle of torture for these animals...these dogs are prisoners of human greed.