Pug Issues

Positive. His entire temperment and boundaries is not good.

Put it this way, if he was a large dog. Someone could get very, very seriously hurt by a dog like that. And it takes a lot of work to rehab a family with a large dog with issues like that.

Its no less an issue with small dogs.

The biggest problem, and main reason its going to take a LOT more work, is its the family making the dog that way. And THEY have to be "trained" also. Its not just the dog that had to be worked with, its everyone who takes care of the dog and interacts with it frequently too.

You could send him off to a trainer. He could come back a social angel. And within a week or month of being back in an unchanged environment with your family, he'd be back to being dominant, aggressive and challenging.

Thats why its such a big issue to fix.

Also, he perceives himself "up there" in the pack order. He doesn't take a submissive or indifferent role to people, he takes an aggressive role against them unless they "submit" or "dominate" him by either bribing and babying him or showing a complete lack of intimidation. Thats not acceptable in dogs. No matter their size. And as such, he isn't likely to be all peaches and cream when/if they switch things up on him by putting him in his place.

^^^Thank you...ugh, sorry, but just reading this makes me even more resentful towards my family and the dog. I'll forward her the information again.

I would love to move out so I don't have to deal with this, but I am unemployed and have not been able to find work for several months. :sad: When I first moved back I tried not to make a big deal about it, but I am almost reaching my breaking point.

No wonder you don't like the dog. He is terribly behaved and everyone seems to coddle and indulge his behavior.
I love dogs but I wouldn't want to be around any dog that acted the way you described.
Honestly, if your cousin isn't going to take the time to be a responsible dog owner, there isn't much you can do. Even if someone were to take the dog to training classes, if your cousin isn't willing to do the work at home, the classes are pointless.
I guess you could try to talk to your parents about your concerns with the dogs behavior. They could possibly limit the time and hopefully not let the dog come over. I don't understand why anyone would let a misbehaving, destructive dog in their home. But that's just me.
Unfortunately, you are living at home and your parents are ok with the dogs behavior. I really don't see much you can do other than completely avoid or ignore the dog.

Firstly, I agree 100% with everything BomberGal has said.

^^^Argh!!! I guess this is a lot worse than I thought, but I am not surprised. But are you sure? I know he gets very hostile around my cousin's and family friends (and initially he did NOT like my dad), but when they show they are not afraid of him, he gets used to them and starts to interact with them. I am actually afraid of this dog; I have not had many good dog experiences in the past, so it is hard for me to be around him.

The only time he will act hostile and aggressive with people he's familiar with is if he thinks someone is "threatening" my cousin (owner) and my sister (whom he likes more than my cousin). The only times he will act "docile" is when someone scares him, which I know can't be healthy.

I spoke to my cousin about this and although she acknowledges the problem, she feels that she is too busy to discipline him (even though she wants to) and thinks she might look into it later on. Ugh!!! Then why have a dog in the first place if you can't take care of him?! This is mainly the reason why I see this dog frequently at my place...no one takes care of him at her house, but at my house, my sister is too crazy in love with him to do anything about it!

And if your cousin is "too busy" to take care of him, and discipline is a big part of caring for a dog, then she does not deserve to have any animals. She wants a dog for her own good without caring (enough or at all) about what the dog needs. It's like someone that gets a dog but doesn't take them on walks... it's not fair to the dog at all. Your family, and your sister especially are really only making things worse. I'm terribly sorry that you're in that situation, and I can empathize as I was in a somewhat similar situation (but with a very large german shepherd instead...) I hope for your sake, and the dog's, that he and your family get this sorted out one way or another.

Honestly, that is exactly what I was afraid of. Even if my cousin does decide to train the dog, I don't think my sister will change her behavior. I know if I said something to her about this, she won't get it and will just get angry at me. Not to bad-mouth her too much, but she sometimes takes things way too personally, even if it's not intended to be a direct insult to her (which is why I mentioned she's not that much of a people person). It's her personality and his devotion to her that makes her love the dog so much.

The dog is fine with my parents; my mom and other sister love him (though not to the same degree as my sister), while my dad is much more like me when it comes to animals (neutral). I don't think anyone sees the dog's problem as a HUGE issue because he is fine with everyone else in the family except for me.

The thing that really irritated me, however, was when the dog bit my younger cousin. Like I said, the dog has had a history of biting other people, including family members...I don't think anyone does anything because he's a small dog and is "cute." The evil side of me wishes that he'd run away because I truly dislike him.

Honestly, that is exactly what I was afraid of. Even if my cousin does decide to train the dog, I don't think my sister will change her behavior. I know if I said something to her about this, she won't get it and will just get angry at me. Not to bad-mouth her too much, but she sometimes takes things way too personally, even if it's not intended to be a direct insult to her (which is why I mentioned she's not that much of a people person). It's her personality and his devotion to her that makes her love the dog so much.

The dog is fine with my parents; my mom and other sister love him (though not to the same degree as my sister), while my dad is much more like me when it comes to animals (neutral). I don't think anyone sees the dog's problem as a HUGE issue because he is fine with everyone else in the family except for me.

The thing that really irritated me, however, was when the dog bit my younger cousin. Like I said, the dog has had a history of biting other people, including family members...I don't think anyone does anything because he's a small dog and is "cute." The evil side of me wishes that he'd run away because I truly dislike him.

The fact that no one but you is upset that you and your cousin got bitten is a bit disturbing. This dog needs rehabilitation before anyone else gets bitten.

In regards to the bolded section of your post... I've been there, seriously. It's not evil. It is not your responsibility to take care of this dog. It is, however, your responsibility to take care of yourself. You are stuck in a situation because you have been unable to find work. So instead of trying to change everyone around you, make it your job to look for a job and get your butt in a better place, both physically and mentally :smile: