Public's perception of Birkin vs Kelly?

This is turning into a great discussion! I think it's a very valid point about the Hermes logo being so visible on a Birkin. I guess the Kelly shape has been copied by so many designers for so long that people don't know right away that it's Hermes since there is no visible logo. I wonder what would happen if I wore my Kellys with the flap tucked in so the logo shows??

Also, to many people all they know of the Kelly is that the Olsen twin(s) carry a very beat up thrift shop looking one- that presents a very different image than the rainbow of shiny new Birkins we see so many flashy celebrities and reality stars carrying.

I think it would be uncomfortable to wear the Kelly with the flap tucked in. I think I tried it once and realized it felt awkward given there is only one handle on the flap.

I don't believe your average human on the street is going to have a clue about the 'logo' and that having it exposed means anything at all. It is, after all, a pocket book / handbag / purse and much like a Chanel classic bag, known by its unique shape. Only those of us that are true collectors are going to know where a logo is placed. Believe me, when I see someone with a birkin in Manhattan, I am not looking to see if there is a 'logo' showing.

And as far as the Olsen's and that train wreck of a kelly bag, unless you're in a place like the purse forum where a very specific purse is being pointed out to us, no one on the street is going to have a clue. And probably wouldn't care even if they did know.

Most people are not looking through the eyes that we have here.

Thank goodness.

I don't believe your average human on the street is going to have a clue about the 'logo' and that having it exposed means anything at all. It is, after all, a pocket book / handbag / purse and much like a Chanel classic bag, known by its unique shape. Only those of us that are true collectors are going to know where a logo is placed. Believe me, when I see someone with a birkin in Manhattan, I am not looking to see if there is a 'logo' showing.

And as far as the Olsen's and that train wreck of a kelly bag, unless you're in a place like the purse forum where a very specific purse is being pointed out to us, no one on the street is going to have a clue. And probably wouldn't care even if they did know.

Most people are not looking through the eyes that we have here.

Thank goodness.

This sums it up. I have had my Kelly mistaken for a Birkin by a real loudmouth at Starbucks. She had watched one of the Real Houswives of... the night before and someone was wearing an orange Birkin so when she saw my orange Kellly that is what she assumed and she wasn't quiet about it. For the most part, I find that Hermes goes undetected and it is the logo bags like LV that have a higher profile.

This is interesting debate indeed. I don't think anybody in the street will notice the hot stamp on Birkins. It is really small in the grand scheme of things. Unless one look up and close, they wouldn't be able to read it.

I was once in a jeweller and the owner who just took over the store stuck a conversation with me because I noticed his new all rose gold Rolex and complimented it. He then said to me "your bag is really nice, who is it by?" He then turned it around and noticed the stamp and read it out "Hermes" and said "Well, no wonder it is so nice, it's a Hermes!" He didn't know it was a Birkin at all.

I was in an Auto Zone recently buying new wiper blades. Just happened to be using a birkin that day so put it on the counter while I was paying. The girl at the register was maybe 20 years old with dyed black hair, a huge circle in her ear exposing a giant hole you could have it a dime through, dark make-up, just a general punk type outfit. She looked at my bag and said, "Wow, that's a Her - Mees bag!" I was impressed that she recognized it and did of course correct her pronunciation.

You just never know who's going to notice and compliment.

I would wish that the Kelly was even less noticed, considering it is my favorite bag. I don't like people to notice my bags. I like it when they are a harmonious part of all that I am wearing.

It is unfortunate that the Birkin has achieved such "look she has a Birkin" status. But it is a very expensive handbag, so I suppose that goes with the territory.

It doesn't matter, c'est la vie! It takes all sorts!

Go Kelly Go!! (can't help it, LOL!) Love the Kelly!
Agree with you. I own several Hermes handbags - non of them is Birkin. Not because I don't like it - I actually admire it - but because of overexposure. My sac Doha never attracts attention and I am very happy with it. It is between me and my handbag after all. :smile:

i
and also i would add the fact that women out of europe mostly asia and the U.S wear birkins as trophys, here i am in your face items. as opposed to im wearing a bag because to me its the most comfortable bag ever im always amazed how in france/europe so many women buy all different bags from H not minding if its THE BIRKIN or THE KELLY they find the one that works for them and buy one,two tops and wear them until the bag is truly USED !! i think its cultural media plus the heat stamp.
:true:
I would wish that the Kelly was even less noticed, considering it is my favorite bag. I don't like people to notice my bags. I like it when they are a harmonious part of all that I am wearing.

I always think it is such a shame when I see a lovely bag or accessory NOT in harmony with the owner. Such a waste and really no excuse I can see...
The article down below is quite fun to read. It is an old article from Washington Post.:smile:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/28/AR2006062801276.html

great article thank you for posting!

..... I don't think anybody in the street will notice the hot stamp on Birkins. It is really small in the grand scheme of things. Unless one look up and close, they wouldn't be able to read it.....

It may be small, but it shines like a star!

I don't see many B's in my area, but when I do see one, the first thing I notice is the stamp, then the colour, then the leather and finally, the owners discreet and proud smile. :biggrin:

hmmm...where I am, I really dont notice overwhelming reactions to my Birkins...a comment here and there on the color but usually they go unnoticed...thankfully

this for me too, thank goodness!

most of the comments are about the color, but i also get a ton of comments about my twillys and how ingenious people think they are for protecting the handles :biggrin: i just smile and say thank you, but it wasn't my idea!

It may be small, but it shines like a star!

I don't see many B's in my area, but when I do see one, the first thing I notice is the stamp, then the colour, then the leather and finally, the owners discreet and proud smile. :biggrin:

yeah but that's because you are familiar with it, you know what it is. 99.99% don't and they won't notice it in the distance of every day life without really looking into it.

yeah but that's because you are familiar with it, you know what it is. 99.99% don't and they won't notice it in the distance of every day life without really looking into it.

agree, the H stamp is really tiny in comparison to the size of the B and rather discreet imho..it is also not easy to make out the words on some colours and leather combos anyway! some of the stamps are also less neat than others which adds to the difficulty in making out the words..