Tech PS3 options

EllaL

May 7, 2010
I'm thinking of buying a PS3 for my dbf for christmas. I am finding a lot of different options...

Are all PS3's- PS3's or are there different versions of the PS3. Can someone quickly educate me? Google isn't helping much.

I got our PS3 at Costco when they first came out and at that time there were 2 different types. There was one WITH the Blu-Ray player and one without. Blu-Ray had just started being big too so I'd imagine all the ones now would have Blu-Ray regardless.

Be aware of harddrive space (maybe 1 has more space than a cheaper version) and just make sure it has Blu-Ray. Where are you going to buy it? Just ask a sales associate and they'll clue you in. If you have a Costco membership I'm sure you'll get the best deal there. :tup:

EllaL said:
Are all PS3's- PS3's or are there different versions of the PS3. Can someone quickly educate me? Google isn't helping much.

All PS3 when they were first released had blue-ray player just different size hard drives. The blue-ray was really the selling point of the station. The release of PS3 helped boosted blue-ray sales (it didn't hurt that eventually stores like Walmart and Best Buy pulled out of the HD dvds). The difference between the first gen and second gen was the first release stations were backwards compatible to play both PS1 and PS2 games. The second batch no long can play PS2 games which allowed Sony to continue to revamp PS2 station (which is the one that doesn't play blue-ray) and keep on selling the units. Right now they're selling the slim PS3 and they offer a lot larger hard drive space (from 120 to 320 GB) but still no backwards compatibility. Just select which one you want, all the models do the same thing. I have the second batch and it's only 60GB.

All PS3 when they were first released had blue-ray player just different size hard drives. The blue-ray was really the selling point of the station. The release of PS3 helped boosted blue-ray sales (it didn't hurt that eventually stores like Walmart and Best Buy pulled out of the HD dvds). The difference between the first gen and second gen was the first release stations were backwards compatible to play both PS1 and PS2 games. The second batch no long can play PS2 games which allowed Sony to continue to revamp PS2 station (which is the one that doesn't play blue-ray) and keep on selling the units. Right now they're selling the slim PS3 and they offer a lot larger hard drive space (from 120 to 320 GB) but still no backwards compatibility. Just select which one you want, all the models do the same thing. I have the second batch and it's only 60GB.

Really??? :thinking: Then what the hell am I talking about... :lol:

Here's an excerpt from wikipedia on the different models: "Two hardware configurations were also announced for the console: a 20 GB model and a 60 GB model, priced at US$499 (€499) and US$599 (€599), respectively.[16] The 60 GB model was to be the only configuration to feature an HDMI port, Wi-Fi internet, flash card readers and a chrome trim with the logo in silver.[16]"

So OP, these are the types of things you'd probably have to consider with a new ps3. You definitely want an HDMI port...everything else is up to you.

^I think it was the PS2 - at the time, people were still buying it...I have the second gen PS3 and was mad that it can't play PS2 games so I ended up keeping my old PS2 (which was from the first batch that was released). I think right now Sony is only producing the slim PS3 models with the expandable 120 - 320 GB hard drives which is suppose to run a lot quieter. My BIL purchased one over the summer and is addicted not to playing games on it but streaming movies from netflix which is interesting.

you should absolutely get a ps3

i got one a month ago, it's the best electronic purchase i've ever made in my life. way better than xbox (which i purchased when 360 originally released and xbox 1 was my best friend)

it's also a bluray player, so that alone (when considering its priced the same as 360) already makes it better than the 360. 360 is the same price but no bluray? please.

and the graphics in the games are way better. i use it to watch blurays, dvds, listen to music streamed from my laptop, watch netflix instant que, and the games of course. and the psn network makes it very easy to make friends with usernames u meet on various different games and meetup and play again later. and you can download demos for free on the psn network, thats what sold me into getting uncharted 2

oh, to answer your question, as far as new ps3 slim releases in the US is concerned, the options are having to do with the size or different bundles. there is the ps3 slim 120GB the ps3 slim 320GB and the ps3 slim playstation move bundle (which comes with their competitive version of the wii-mote and ps3-eye). so that's 3 different bundles

the cheapest one, the ps3 slim 120GB bundle, is fine. 120GB is a lot of space, even for me, and i download a lot of demos.

and i dont like that whole ps3 move thing. let the wii do what wii do, the ps3 is better in its own respect

keep us updated!

^I don't like the move thing either. I have the wii and hate it anyways - all it does is collect dust. I don't like the idea of having to buy a tons of other peripherals to play a game.

My brother has both the xbox and PS3 slim. If a game is released on both platforms, he'll get the PS3 version because the graphics are so much better. He'll only games for xbox if is an xbox exclusive game. My BIL uses his PS3 to watch movies from netflix as well.

Uncharted 2 is one of the best games I played - too bad I couldn't finish it. I was so close to.

haha how come you couldn't finish it? just lost interest at the end? that happens to me too with solo player campaigns

like red dead redemption right now, i'm barely in the beginning having finished all the bonnie missions (only 3) when i said, "damnit, i'm tired of the grand theft auto system, this is basically next gen western grand theft auto all over again." but the multiplayer is so fun, better than black ops and socom imo

there's nothing like crossing the other side of the map (or state) and hunting someone down No Country for Old Men style lol

^I literally could not finish it. I've been stuck at this one particular part near the end and my character keeps dying...After a dozen times of trying, I gave up kind of like MGS4. Red Dead Redemption sounds fun but if it's like GTA then, I may get bored with it easily.

I have to agree that the PS3 is probably one of the best electronic devices I purchased besides my e-reader!

which e-reader? the kindle?

your post reminds me of the time i got stuck playing the first metal gear solid. it was when solid snake was getting tortured and you had to repeatedly press O to withstand it. it was funny when the character actually said, "if you use a mad catz controller with turbo on, we'll know." lol

^Sony PRS-650...addicted to it! I mostly only have Sony products since they haven't let me down...yet...

The first metal gear solid was fun - but the only way I got through it was to use the gameshark and cheat my way to the end! lol

The current hard-drive sizes offered at least in the US are 160gb, 250gb and 320gb (this is the move bundle). The size of the hard drive is going to be the only difference you will come across (unless you look into getting the move bundle), otherwise the core system itself is the same across the board.

Like someone already said the PS3 at least in North America has always come with the built in blu-ray player (I work for a company that has sold them since the system launched).

Last edited: